PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

MOP
02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Anyone else into GE, I have gotten hooked on finding all sorts of military both current and historical. The east coast of the US has hundreds of old shore line gunnery installations, I have not found any on the west coast but I bet some of our Westies know where some are. There are tons of abandoned military bases both field and air force, most all major countries have military grave yards. There are thousands of planes, tanks, ships and submarines scattered all over the globe. Some of the active fleets are very impressive, Donggang in China is an eye opener as are several of the Russian sub bases both new and old. The China coast also has hundreds of miles of fish breeding pens, something we should be doing in this country. I would love hear about what others have found.

Phil

McGary911
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Sounds pretty interesting Phil. Got any links? I know you said Google earth, but maybe links in google maps.

Here's one I like. Is an airplane graveyard in St. Augustine, FL, right down the road from me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=St.+Augustine,+FL&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.821085,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=St+Augustine,+St+Johns,+Florida&ll=29.944419,-81.33836&spn=0.000598,0.001321&t=h&z=20

They're old S2 Trackers. Here's a link with the back story.

http://atlasobscura.com/place/st-augustine-airplane-graveyard

Carl C
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I can really get lost playing with google earth. One thing that bugs me is that the islands on the Great Lakes are blurred. I'd like to check out Put-in-Bay but it is blurred out:confused:.

DonziJon
02-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I can really get lost playing with google earth. One thing that bugs me is that the islands on the Great Lakes are blurred. I'd like to check out Put-in-Bay but it is blurred out:confused:.

Carl: Where is the Put In Bay you are talking about..? Is it in Canada...? I found a Put in Bay in OHIO..near Michigan.. John

Carl C
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Carl: Where is the Put In Bay you are talking about..? Is it in Canada...? I found a Put in Bay in OHIO..near Michigan.. John

That's it. On the Western end of Lake Erie, in Ohio. Zoom in on any of those islands and there is no detail. Go to shore and there is plenty of detail. Even Harsen's Island is blurred out! :(

DonziJon
02-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Carl: I can see the blurries there. Also NO DATE on the lower left of the scan. Sometimes there are a couple of years between satellite over passes. Can't explain .............John :)

Carl C
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Carl: I can see the blurries there. Also NO DATE on the lower left of the scan. Sometimes there are a couple of years between satellite over passes. Can't explain .............John :)

There has to be some reason. Maybe they don't want satellite images used for navigation. There is lots of detail on the mainland shore and harbors though. I like to check out the marinas I've been to.

gcarter
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
That's it. On the Western end of Lake Erie, in Ohio. Zoom in on any of those islands and there is no detail. Go to shore and there is plenty of detail. Even Harsen's Island is blurred out! :(

It's not blurred out necessarily, but simply a lower resolution image.
Where I live, for the longest time, was like that. You could see where my house was, but couldn't see any detail of it or the golf course.
The son of a friend of ours works for Google. He was explaining to us how expensive it is and how difficult it is to obtain the higher resolution and more recent images.
What's impressed me is how high the resolution is in some areas. I've recently seen some images around the country that are completely clear down to 20' on the scale at the bottom of the image.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Sounds pretty interesting Phil. Got any links? I know you said Google earth, but maybe links in google maps.

Here's one I like. Is an airplane graveyard in St. Augustine, FL, right down the road from me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=St.+Augustine,+FL&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.821085,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=St+Augustine,+St+Johns,+Florida&ll=29.944419,-81.33836&spn=0.000598,0.001321&t=h&z=20

They're old S2 Trackers. Here's a link with the back story.

http://atlasobscura.com/place/st-augustine-airplane-graveyard

I am blown away by the street views as well as the aerial views. Did you check out some of the street views with the planes covered in plant growth? In this case you can see a guy driving a black car who happened to be driving by when they took the street shots. Clicking on the photos in the link you provided is also amazing with the clarity. Bill

Carl C
02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
It's not blurred out necessarily, but simply a lower resolution image.
Where I live, for the longest time, was like that. You could see where my house was, but couldn't see any detail of it or the golf course.
The son of a friend of ours works for Google. He was explaining to us how expensive it is and how difficult it is to obtain the higher resolution and more recent images.
What's impressed me is how high the resolution is in some areas. I've recently seen some images around the country that are completely clear down to 20' on the scale at the bottom of the image.

Yup, it looks like you are right. There is detail on Mackinaw Island. Niagara Falls looks pretty awesome too. Google Earth rocks. I think I will check out Hawaii next :).

silverghost
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
The current Google sat shot of my house shows my black 454 SS Sport Truck hooked-up to my ski-boat trailer with the red & white American Skier skiboat sitting on it in front of my house !
The shot was taken Oct 1 2009 the very day I brought my boat back to Pennsylvania from Ocean City NJ at the end of my Summer 2009 boating season ! The truck was only parked there for a few hours that afternoon .
Everything is very clear in the photo.

Our local building inspector uses Google Earth to look for illegal building projects.

Big Brother really IS watching you !

Sounds like those blurred island sat photos mentioned above are another government Top Secret "Area 51 " !

McGary911
02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I am blown away by the street views as well as the aerial views. Did you check out some of the street views with the planes covered in plant growth? In this case you can see a guy driving a black car who happened to be driving by when they took the street shots. Clicking on the photos in the link you provided is also amazing with the clarity. Bill

Yep, I always check streetview. Super cool stuff there. Here's a pic of the car. Also, if you actually install Google Earth, you can view pics that people posted of some locations. Attached one of those pics as well.

Sometimes, you get some very funny stuff on streetview. In Pittsburgh, some folks found out the Google streetview car was going to be in the area, and planned some craziness. Take a walk down this street, you'll see a mad scientist, a garage band, giant plucked chicken, and even a sword fight. Pretty funny.

http://maps.google.com/maps?cbp=12,110.61,,0,27.62&cbll=40.456279,-80.015144&layer=c&ie=UTF8&panoid=EOnrLo4T8x-wRvrh5pEGrg&ll=40.457111,-80.009565&spn=0,359.987093&z=17

justleft
02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Here are some good ones.

http://www.wimp.com/unusualplaces/

MOP
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
TTT
Try these co ordinance 66"36'12.43S by 99"43'12.36E Note the man made cover on what you find!

MOP
04-02-2011, 06:08 AM
The satellite maps of Japan have been updated to current views, the extent of the damage extends so far. Just a few miles south of Fukushima there is a similar nuclear complex, have to wonder if there are issues there also. You can see the damaged plant clearly @ 37 degrees 25'18.88N by 141 degrees 02' 09.22E. Scroll south just a few miles to the other complex.