PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Boat By Lifting Eyes ?

silverghost
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Has anyone here ever stored their boat all summer hanging from the lfting eyes with a full tank of gas ?

I am still working on my "Benchseat 18" project the YellowJacket .

When the project is finally finished I must have this boat sit in my boatslip next to a 25 foot floating dock all summer long in a saltwater lagoon area in Ocean City NJ.

I do not want to put bottom paint on this boat !

The boat would stay clean hanging in my rented slip behind a friend's private lagoon house . The outdrive would also be out of the harsh saltwater.

Since I do not own the house, or boat~slip, I was thinking of making a cheap lift set-up with two micro-laminated wood beams and two cheap electric chain-hoists .

I have power in my slip !

I do not wish to invest in a fancy ,proper & good lift installation in another person's boatslip ! $10-$15 K !

The wood micro-laminated beams would go across the existing piles in my rented slip.

Would I do any damage to; or distort my old Donzi hull by letting it hang by it's original lifting rings all Summer long with a full tank of gas !

Has anyone really done this lately ?

The owner stated that I should install my own lift~~~
If I did so~~~
She said it MUST remain always with HER slip !
"Anything you bolt onto MY pilings become part of the boat-slip !

I do not mind giving her two wood laminated beams & two cheap Harbor Freight electric chain hoists~~~

But I will NOT give her a full-blown pile boat lift !

What is your opinion on this crazy idea of mine ?

Am I nuts ?

Buddyc
02-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I keep my Sundancer in Somers Point right across the bay... I dont blame you on wanting to keep it out of that water. Salt everywhere. Did you look into a hyrro hoist? I see them for sale used from time to time and there not that pricey.

gcarter
02-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Think about it, even full of gas, the bow is still a LOT lighter than the stern.
My TR has been sitting on dollies for over three years, from a load perspective, it's not that much different from hanging.

Tony
02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
If the hardware is in good shape, I would think you would be good to go.
After all, isn't this what the lifting eyes are designed for?

:beer:

BlownCrewCab
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
I have seen Donzi's hang from the Lifting eyes for 5 or more years. Where we used to Boat ( By the old Donzi Factory) everyone stored their boats on Davits, Never seen one fail....

Sweet little 16
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I would say there is a big difference in the (stoutness) of the older lift rings from the newer lift rings. I see 16s and 18s that have lived on their rings for over 30 seasons . Some have hung on their rings for years, non stop, all of which are pre 1980's classics.

Pismo
02-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I hang my 22 with big block all season by the eyes. Works great. I had to replace the rear lifting eye bracket tho before. Lift and watch carefully the first time.

DAULEY
02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
if it were me i would use straps no chance of fracturing glass or gel just my 2cents straps are cheep and will spread the weight

MOP
02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
A day of cruising the Thousand Islands will make anyone a believer in hanging their boat, a few of us have seen one in particular that has been hanging and not let down in years. The only Donzi's that had any problem were some late 22's, the brackets were designed wrong and tended to bend, the boats don't seem to have any issue what so ever. As to lifting eyes I have never seen anything but chrome on bronze on any Donzi with 3/4 rod to the mounts.

Just Say N20
02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
As to lifting eyes I have never seen anything but chrome on bronze on any Donzi with 3/4 rod to the mounts.

No disrepect to MOP, but the rods are 5/8 - 11.

silverghost
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
A a kid my Father owned a new 1963 Lyman 22' runabout skiff with a 238HP 327 Graymarine Fireball V8.
This new wooden boat was hung in an old boat-house .
It had two lifting eyes mounted fore & aft.
The boat was 3/8" marine plywood with white oak frames.
There were 3/4" solid bronze rods extending from the lifting eyes through the deck to a pair of large bronze castings that were through-bolted to the white oak keel with six 3/8 " bronze carriage bolts.
In the winter the boat was stored on it's special wooden shipping & storage cradle.
After several summer seasons of hanging it was soon found that the center of the keel & engine bed stringer area was starting to sag downward under the weight of the engine.
The keel itself was hogged also fore & aft !

We had to later put heavy sand-bags inside the boat, on her keel fore & aft for several winter's storage seasons to bring the hull back into it's original shape~~~

The boat was never hung again; but spent the next 30 years sitting IN the water all summer long !
The hull never again distorted this way !

Dad sold the Lyman after 35 years of ownership & it is still being used by it's new owner all summer long to this very day !

This is why I asked about the possible danger of hanging a fiberglass Donzi 18 all season long from it's lifting eyes !

MOP
02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
No disrepect to MOP, but the rods are 5/8 - 11.

At my age the bulbs are getting a bit dim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pismo
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
A a kid my Father owned a new 1963 Lyman 22' runabout skiff with a 238HP 327 Graymarine Fireball V8.
This new wooden boat was hung in an old boat-house .
It had two lifting eyes mounted fore & aft.
The boat was 3/8" marine plywood with white oak frames.
There were 3/4" solid bronze rods extending from the lifting eyes through the deck to a pair of large bronze castings that were through-bolted to the white oak keel with six 3/8 " bronze carriage bolts.
In the winter the boat was stored on it's special wooden shipping & storage cradle.
After several summer seasons of hanging it was soon found that the center of the keel & engine bed stringer area was starting to sag downward under the weight of the engine.
The keel itself was hogged also fore & aft !

We had to later put heavy sand-bags inside the boat, on her keel fore & aft for several winter's storage seasons to bring the hull back into it's original shape~~~

The boat was never hung again; but spent the next 30 years sitting IN the water all summer long !
The hull never again distorted this way !

Dad sold the Lyman after 35 years of ownership & it is still being used by it's new owner all summer long to this very day !

This is why I asked about the possible danger of hanging a fiberglass Donzi 18 all season long from it's lifting eyes !

It will be fine. Wood is another story, I would never hang a wooden boat indefinitely. For movement, painting, a while is fine but not too long.

I am going on 10 seasons (6months) of hanging a heavy, longer 22, with big block with no curvature yet...