PDA

View Full Version : Another Boat Cover Question

RedDog
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I recently bought a Taylormade boat cover that is set up for use when trailering. The cover does not have a vent. I am thinking about adding one, but wonder if the vent would cause problems went trailering at highway speeds.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/marinesupplies/52208.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

Fishermanjm
02-24-2011, 01:01 PM
when i trailered mine home from MD i had the full cover with the straps on it, the cover had that style vent in the middle with the pole also two rear facing vents on the stern area,,, had no problem at all

BUIZILLA
02-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I have had two different covers with those bonnets

trust me when I tell you they'll stay on over 100... :wink:

Offset
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
RedDog what model of TaylorMade cover did you buy? Hope it is not rude of me but was the approximate cost? Did you have any options added to your cover? How far down the sides does the cover extend? Thinking of buying one for my 22 and TaylorMade has been mentioned as a good one a number of times.

Thanks in advance.:)

HOWARD O
02-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Caught in a hurricane, were ya? :cool:

fegettes
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Good subject. I have a full canvas cover for my Blackhawk and it fits like a glove. But, I was so concerned about it chaffing the boat that I had a custom made mooring cover made and I only trailer with the mooring cover now.

Steve

zelatore
02-24-2011, 08:20 PM

What's the speed rating on the average trailer tire anyway? :wink:

RedDog
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
RedDog what model of TaylorMade cover did you buy? Hope it is not rude of me but was the approximate cost? Did you have any options added to your cover? How far down the sides does the cover extend? Thinking of buying one for my 22 and TaylorMade has been mentioned as a good one a number of times.
Thanks in advance.:)

$304 with free shipping from Go2Marine. Made from what they call Hotshot material - middle of the line of what Taylormade offers. Comes with 3 or 4 straps for the sides, 2 at stern, and 1 at the bow. Seems to be a nice cover. Comes down just below the rub rail. No options added to what I bought.

Offset
02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
RedDog thanks very much for the information. I think that is the route I will take as well. Appreciated.

Murray Adam

Tony
02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I bought this cover, also, about 6 years ago. It has stood up very well, other that some mold accumulation on the underside of the cover. (This is kind of a puzzle because the boat is kept in a dry shed.)

The cover fits like a glove, other than a few odd wrinkles on the foredeck. The good fit makes it a very towable cover, just snug the straps down real tight to prevent the sides and straps from flapping.

If you will be towing a lot you might want to consider adding extra loops along the side, to "spread the load" so to speak. I did this, and then switched the straps to strong shock cord with plastic ends. This keeps the cover very taut, lessons the possibility of the loops tearing out over time, and allows for easy on and off.

RedDog
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
thanks for the input guys - vent ordered today