PDA

View Full Version : ABATE & motorcyclists

zelatore
02-24-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/kansas-house-approves-allowing-bikers-run-red-lights/?test=latestnews

Somebody just forwarded me this FOX article about a law in Kansas allowing bikers to run a red light if the in-ground sensors don't detect the bike and won't change to green.

(This is nothing new, many states have this, including here in CA - it's pretty common that the sensors don't 'see' a bike and unless a car pulls up next to you the light will never change. I'm sure all of you who ride have experienced this. Technically, without a law to allow bikes to proceed the light would have to be considered defective and therefor treated as an all-way stop anyway, so this simply puts into writing what already exists.)

But the thing that really got my attention is how the story is spun. They make it look like bikers will be allowed to just run red lights at will. They even go so far as to spin ABATE (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education - a group that is best known for putting on rider training courses) as some sort of militia or something by calling them A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments. Gee, why not just call them them white supremicists and be done with it?

The question is do you think they were just too lazy to take 15 seconds to google ABATE, or were they intentionally sensationalizing the story? Going by the over-all tone of the article and their 'reporting' style, I'm voting the latter.

There's a reason I so love FOX...:bonk:

Just Say N20
02-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I have to agree with you on this one, Don.

A sensational and misleading headline, and the misrepresentation of ABATE seem very lame.

For the past XX years, printed news media sources seem more to be creating news, rather than reporting the news. And most of the reporters, like whoever wrote this article, would appear to be qualified to be candidates as participants on Jay Leno's JAY WALKING segments.

Buddyc
02-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow they make ABATE sound like a bunch of 1%ers. I think it is a good idea to let motorcyclist go thru a light if it is safe... weather they ride a harley or a rice rocket!

Fishermanjm
02-25-2011, 09:23 AM
stupid question,,, what is ABATE?

Just Say N20
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
stupid question,,, what is ABATE?

In the first post. . . .

ABATE = American Bikers Aimed Toward Education

The article says ABATE = A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments, which is inaccurate.

Fishermanjm
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM
got it,,, sorry

McGary911
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
According to my doc, the only thing I can take with (a grain of) salt, is sensationalist news. :)

I have heard of bikers mounting some rare earth magnets on their bikes to increase their magnetic footprint. This'll allow the field sensors under the road to see the bike and change the light. Think someone even manufactures pegs with the magnets integrated.

zelatore
02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
According to my doc, the only thing I can take with (a grain of) salt, is sensationalist news. :)

I have heard of bikers mounting some rare earth magnets on their bikes to increase their magnetic footprint. This'll allow the field sensors under the road to see the bike and change the light. Think someone even manufactures pegs with the magnets integrated.

There are a few companies making such products. They are of questionable value. I actually bought one several years ago because there was one particular light I would get caught at on my commute that wouldn't change for a bike. The magnet however didn't help. Sometime later, I saw another brand on the parts counter where I had bought the first one and asked how well it worked because the other hadn't done anything. 'oh well, those weren't very good...these are the BEST!'.

I didn't buy it.

However, the fact that multiple companies sell these things does highlight the fact that it's a pretty common problem.

Eplebnista
02-25-2011, 11:32 AM
ABATE started as an anti-helmet law lobbying group. Most chapters began operating under the name "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments." As these organizations gained experience they also got more savvy about their public image and the receptiveness of legislators and others to being FOR a variety of things as opposed to being against one thing. Accordingly, many state ABATE chapters adopted the new name of "A Brotherhood Aimed Toward Education" or "American Bikes Advocating Training and Education." ABATE chapters are still anti-helmet but have broadened their efforts - and their constituency - to include more general motorcycle rights and rider and driver education issues.

At least one chapter of ABATE of Kansas uses the "totalitarian enactments" moniker to describe itself: http://district3.abateks.org/whatis.html

I'd give the news folks a break on this one.

zelatore
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I'd give the news folks a break on this one.

Come on, do I have to? It's more fun to rag on Fox!! :wink:

In the spirit of disclosure, I am not and have never been a member of ABATE, and I practice ATGATT.

Just Say N20
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
It turns out I practice ATGATT too, but I will admit I had to look it up. . .

. . .All The Gear All The Time. :yes: