PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Donzo
02-23-2011, 07:20 AM
I am new to the boating world and can use some advice. I recently purchased a 1992 22 classic. It was in Long Island and has been stretch wrapped for the past seven years. It has a omc 454 king cobra and I am having problems finding parts. I need exhaust manifolds and elbows and am looking for a less expensive way of going besides original omc parts. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Sweet little 16
02-23-2011, 07:36 AM
the 454 is the white bread of motors, there are tons of after market hi-po parts for them. If it had been a ford 460 omc you'd have alot less choices.

search for stainless marine,eddie marine,cmi in the way of exhausts

the down side is sometimes omc did some strange things with their exhaust either real narrow or real wide coming thru the transom so you might need to do some plumbing.

parts for the drive might be hard to find but volvo made a sx/cobra which should mate to the 454 no problem.

hope that helps ,welcome, good luck post pics

Donzo
02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks. If you know of anybody that has manifolds please let me know. It hasn't been in the water in a long time so there are a lot of little things I am working on. Thanks again.

gcarter
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Setting up a search on eBay is useful for perusing what the market is for exhaust components and other catagories of items needed.
If you're not in a rush, you can find most anything over time.

dsparis
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Its a myth that OMC Cobra parts are hard to find or are getting scarce. Go to Doug Russel Marine http://www.dougrussell.com/ . Thet have anything you need at reasonable prices. The service guys are great and will walk you through any problems you have.
King Cobra units are almost bullet proof. I beat mine to death with no problems.

VetteLT193
02-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't say that it is a myth that OMC parts are hard to find / getting scarce at least relative to the Merc comparison. With Merc you have a medley of parts distributors and multiple after market makers of common parts... with OMC you have to pay the price.

I did a lot of research before buying my Minx because OMC boats are so much cheaper to buy... but by the time I was done adding up some common items I saw why. The numbers just don't work well for OMC boats.

dsparis
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
What type of omc drive did you have problems with getting parts for ?

Donzo
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I was really just seeing what my options are for exhaust manifolds and risers. I cant find any after market omc manifolds. I found originals but I was seeing if there was a better less expensive way of going.

Sweet little 16
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
don't think there is any thing unusual about the omc 454 risers

search barr, or 454 marine exhaust on ebay , or glm , or stainless marine exhaust

DONZI
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Here ya go !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCRUISER-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-V8-454-502-CHEVY-MARINE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2559ec5ba4QQitemZ16042 2452132QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Tidbart
02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
GLM makes a ton of replacement parts as well as exhausts for the OMC.
Here is there website: http://www.glmmarine.com/

Download the manifold and the OMC catalogs and look up the part numbers.

Google the part numbers to shop the best prices or look on ebay.

B

Tidbart
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
complete exhaust kit is 58500. Found one site for $761.

Tidbart
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Call these guys and see what they can do for you, can't hurt. They gave me a great price on my GLM set and shipped for free, and quickly.

http://www.boatequipmentsuperstore.com/

Donzo
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
That kit is in cataogs but I spoke to a glm tech and he told me they are not even in production yet and probably wont be for another two years. They said the original omc is the only route to take. I will keep looking, I was just trying to save a couple of bucks. Thanks for looking in to it for me.

LKSD
02-24-2011, 08:00 AM
The OMC sterndrive stuff is getting thinner & thinner.. Just a fact. Some stuff is available, but it is no doubt dwindling. There are options such as converting to merc or other for some things, but it does cost time & money when & if you need to do it..

The plus is as long as it is not drive related and you are dealing with a BBC or a SBC the expense of switching away from an OMC part to something else that will work and be compatible with your system is not too bad for most things.. Sometimes it is even less costly and a better move.. :)

In regards to your exhaust needs I offer just about all of the major brands.. If you are looking yet feel free to give me a shout.. I also have a cast Iron freshwater merc BBC take off set I would be willing to offer you. I usually never have anything used or take off, but it may work for you.. If interested in any of it I can give you some #'s and options if ya call me.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628