PDA

View Full Version : Price for paint job

flying tomato
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Just got a quote to paint some of my boat and it seems high. Looking for some others that have had similar jobs done and HOW MUCH?

Here's the job I want: Paint both sides of the boat. Not the bottom, not the deck. Paint a single stripe down the bow. Using PPG paint (which is pretty cheap) The boat is similar to a 22 classic just a little bigger 24 feet and a few more inches freeboard. The hull is flawless and needs no prep other than a good cleaning and sanding. Color orange.

Quoted: 2200 (I just had my house painted for 1500)

Greg Guimond
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
FT, you are saying from the rub rail to the waterline chine, correct? What about the transom and also is your repaint the same color as the original color? It's all in the preperation as you know.

ralph crocker
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
sounds fair to me

Pismo
02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
$3000

zelatore
02-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Sounds more than fair to me; I wouldn't be surprised to hear twice that out here.

gcarter
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Prep is a lot of work.
Of course, if you want to do the prep yourself, maybe he'll cut you a deal.......
Keep track of your hours.

mphatc
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Using an automotive paint vs house paint . . a gallon of PPG orange will run close to $550.00 retail, add in the other supplies and labor . . .

the car on this link: http://www.m2bmw.com/roy-wicklund.htm
was done in my shop, our cost for the BMW Inca base coat orange was over $800.00 per gallon.

Pure primary colors will cost lots more, red yellow and blue. Orange is part of two . . reds and yellows cost more.

Mario L.

Buddyc
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Im a painter for a living. You cant compair rolling walls in your home and painting your boat... come on geeze.
As others have said it all in the prep and the know how to give you a great job.
I wouldnt touch it for less than $3000.
Not only is the paint high, Solvents, Clear, Hardner ect. I would honestly be worried if someone said they would do it for $1500. you know you get what you pay for.

gcarter
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Using an automotive paint vs house paint . . a gallon of PPG orange will run close to $550.00 retail, add in the other supplies and labor . . .

the car on this link: http://www.m2bmw.com/roy-wicklund.htm
was done in my shop, our cost for the BMW Inca base coat orange was over $800.00 per gallon.

Pure primary colors will cost lots more, red yellow and blue. Orange is part of two . . reds and yellows cost more.

Mario L.

I agree, the gel color matched paint I used on the TR was nearly $600.00/gallon plus about $80.00 for a pint of hardener, and $40.00 for a quart of reducer.

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Im a painter for a living. You cant compair rolling walls in your home and painting your boat... come on geeze.
As others have said it all in the prep and the know how to give you a great job.
I wouldnt touch it for less than $3000.
Not only is the paint high, Solvents, Clear, Hardner ect. I would honestly be worried if someone said they would do it for $1500. you know you get what you pay for.I agree 100 % paint , solvents , clear , maybe primmer , sand paper , tape ,mask off , re sand, along with the pads for buffing ,and the compounds , it takes for polishing , and getting the boat to a nice glossy finish ext ext . Hey guy , not to be rude but how can you compare something that was most likely done with a (Paint) like Sears weather beater to (PPG) which is an Automotive paint that will give you a high gloss finish after all is said and done .

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey guys , just curious how much is Flip Flop going for these days ?

yeller
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I was quoted $3000 to paint the boot stripe, center strip and Donzi logo on the engine hatch, so I'd be happy with your quote.

axelkloehn
02-22-2011, 01:53 AM
looks like prices for paint and paintjobs are pretty high in the US. A gallon of white basecoat is about 150$ incl. all thinner, hardener and a price for a gallon of good clearcoat with hardener and thinner is about 200$ in germany. This is standard carpaint (Sikkens, Mipa or Glasurit), no awlgrip or imron.
Here in germany at a friends paintshop you could get both sides painted with a stripe and all preparation (no cracks, no glasswork needs to be done) for about 1000$, but that won't help you- just for the info.

But you guys have cheap fuel, so don't cry about expansive paint :wink:

...that BMW 02 is awesome!! :yes:

Buddyc
02-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Hey guys , just curious how much is Flip Flop going for these days ?

House of Kolor still makes it I believe. Last I remember it was well over $250qt

gcarter
02-22-2011, 07:14 AM
looks like prices for paint and paintjobs are pretty high in the US. A gallon of white basecoat is about 150$ incl. all thinner, hardener and a price for a gallon of good clearcoat with hardener and thinner is about 200$ in germany. This is standard carpaint (Sikkens, Mipa or Glasurit), no awlgrip or imron.
Here in germany at a friends paintshop you could get both sides painted with a stripe and all preparation (no cracks, no glasswork needs to be done) for about 1000$, but that won't help you- just for the info.

But you guys have cheap gasoline, so don't cry about expansive paint :wink:

...that BMW 02 is awesome!! :yes:

Axel, it may be similar here, for instance, black is only half the price of red that I quoted above. Whites would be even less, I think.
Reds are incredibly expensive. The red pigments seem to be priced like gold.

Buddyc
02-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Axel, it may be similar here, for instance, black is only half the price of red that I quoted above. Whites would be even less, I think.
Reds are incredibly expensive. The red pigments seem to be priced like gold.

Very true George. Weather it is paint or gel. As you know, reds have to be mixed in a nutreal base... and usually take more product to get coverage.
Red cant be made in a traditional white base... It would always be pink no matter how much tint you put in it.
But I got to tell ya... There is nothing like red when its done right!

LKSD
02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Good work & good materials just cost money.

The price is, or should be relative to the labor & materials needed. The better the labor and the better the materials the more expensive it usually gets. Also bodywork/repairs need to get taken into consideration when applicable.

:) Jamie / Lakeside

VancouverMark
02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Just got a quote to paint some of my boat and it seems high. Looking for some others that have had similar jobs done and HOW MUCH?
Here's the job I want: Paint both sides of the boat. Not the bottom, not the deck. Paint a single stripe down the bow. Using PPG paint (which is pretty cheap) The boat is similar to a 22 classic just a little bigger 24 feet and a few more inches freeboard. The hull is flawless and needs no prep other than a good cleaning and sanding. Color orange.
Quoted: 2200 (I just had my house painted for 1500)

Have you considered a wrap? I Just had a wrap done on my Z33. They color matched the Yellow hull sides and did the Yellow & Black stripes on the bow. It looks exactly like paint and is gauranteed for 7yrs. They did it in an afternoon. Entire job cost $1700.

HOWARD O
02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Have you considered a wrap? I Just had a wrap done on my Z33. They color matched the Yellow hull sides and did the Yellow & Black stripes on the bow. It looks exactly like paint and is gauranteed for 7yrs. They did it in an afternoon. Entire job cost $1700.

Interesting! Mark, do you have any photos or any links of other boats that have been "wrapped"?

The Hedgehog
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I will shoot it with a Wagner Airless gun and some latex paint for $300 in labor:popcorn:

I actually painted a truck that way. Camo! I did use leftover paint from the body shop though

gcarter
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
LOL!
Good idea.

Pismo
02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
The wrap idea sounds interesting, worth looking into.

VancouverMark
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I will post some pics. It is amazing what there is available now in Wrap! It is specifically for Marine use and comes with a 7 year warranty. I got my Yellow Hull color matched so it is identical and I had them do my black bow stripes with a Carbon Fiber style look. Its amazing! Plus you can wax it, buff it, whatever you want.

There are 2 really good brands;
1. Oracal - Orajet is the series. That is the stuff they can color match
2. Avery - huge amount of pre printed colors and styles, you can get carbon fiber and even metal flake!

I am actually thinking of opening a business on the West Coast to update boat hulls with the stuff, I did it on my Big 40' Express cruiser as well. That one when to a Platinum Grey hull side. Cost $2800, I had a paint qoute for $17,000.

Cheers
Mark

Pismo
02-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Do you know of any dealers on the East coast?

VancouverMark
02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Do you know of any dealers on the East coast?

I dont know any on the west coast. I looked up the local Vehicle Wrap guys and find ,ine. I do remember when I was searching online there were a lot of guys in Florida doing it specifically for Marine.

LKSD
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I am on the East coast..

I can get Avery & Orcal from our vendor. I can also get Arlon & 3M, but 3m's material for wraps would generally be the first choice out of all of them for longevity, adhesion, color and gloss retention.

My vendor in the past has said the others can be used & are used at times, but they don't feel as comfy with it in comparison when used in the marine environment for a boat that is going to be used in the water or left in frequently. That's, if it is something that is going to be desired to be left on for a long period of time anyway.. If it is a trailer queen & only going in from time to time and not getting constantly left outside, then it wont matter quite as much..

VancouverMark
02-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I am on the East coast..

I can get Avery & Orcal from our vendor. I can also get Arlon & 3M, but 3m's material for wraps would generally be the first choice out of all of them for longevity, adhesion, color and gloss retention.

My vendor in the past has said the others can be used & are used at times, but they don't feel as comfy with it in comparison when used in the marine environment for a boat that is going to be used in the water or left in frequently. That's, if it is something that is going to be desired to be left on for a long period of time anyway.. If it is a trailer queen & only going in from time to time and not getting constantly left outside, then it wont matter quite as much..

Jamie, with all due respect I would have to disagree. The Orcal is specifically designed for Marine use and has a 7 year warranty for exactly that. The Avery may not be as good for below waterline, but I used it for the Black Bow Stripes. The 3 M is a thicker material and not as easy to work with. The Orcal has a self "burping system" for lack of a better term so it is easy to work with and goes on much easier. I spoke to a lot of installers and they all agreed that Orcal is far superior to 3 M in install, warranty and Color match ability.

LKSD
02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Jamie, with all due respect I would have to disagree. The Orcal is specifically designed for Marine use and has a 7 year warranty for exactly that. The Avery may not be as good for below waterline, but I used it for the Black Bow Stripes. The 3 M is a thicker material and not as easy to work with. The Orcal has a self "burping system" for lack of a better term so it is easy to work with and goes on much easier. I spoke to a lot of installers and they all agreed that Orcal is far superior to 3 M in install, warranty and Color match ability.

No worries, It's your boat & you need to be happy with it.. :)

Mind you I am not bashing your boat or product you have used. They all for the most part make good products. I have used them all over the years. They all claim limited warranties on their warranties on their products for about the same realm of time, which seems to be roughly 7-10 years from what I recall depending on product & manufacturer.

From what my experiences are 3M & Orcal's wrap materials currently seem to be the most widely used & accepted by better places. 3m happens to be the one that is a bit more preferred by the vendors & installers that I know.

Everyone usually has their own opinions on things, some are warranted, some are not. Also there are some places that do not like to use the materials with the air egress channels on boats. I also can say I have not had any problems or issues with installing the 3m materials when we have used them for any reason.

The reason for that is if you scratch open or rip it the fear is that water can encroach further into the material causing it to lift, bubble, etc.... I have not had that happen on any of the products to date so far whether they did or did not have the air egress channeling for helping to eliminate bubbles..

Anyway, as I said earlier, No worries.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

axelkloehn
03-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I give you one advice:

be careful with the use of wraps on painted fiberglass boats, better use it only on original gelcoat. If you have to take the wrap off for any reason you will peel your paint off if the paint preparation wasn't done properly... it happened to 2 friends of mine... strange because it never happened to painted cars when we wrapped them and took it off again after a year or so

LKSD
03-01-2011, 07:00 AM
I give you one advice:

be careful with the use of wraps on painted fiberglass boats, better use it only on original gelcoat. If you have to take the wrap off for any reason you will peel your paint off if the paint preparation wasn't done properly... it happened to 2 friends of mine... strange because it never happened to painted cars when we wrapped them and took it off again after a year or so

Axel, I agree.... Everything usually has a pro & con to it... I have seen paint lift or com off with some vinyls as well..

I still prefer to refinish a boat with paint or gel instead of the wrap route.. Although wraps do sort of have their place, but it would be dependent on what the desired result is. Temp fix, quick fluff, advertising, short term refinish alternative, etc... However one should think ahead before doing it..

My concern would be repairs from scratches or other things in the future.. Although if replacing the wrap or a large part of that is OK with the owner, then it is not so much of an issue. Otherwise paint or gel for long term would probably be the better route...

Again, just my opinions.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

VancouverMark
03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Axel, I agree.... Everything usually has a pro & con to it... I have seen paint lift or com off with some vinyls as well..
I still prefer to refinish a boat with paint or gel instead of the wrap route.. Although wraps do sort of have their place, but it would be dependent on what the desired result is. Temp fix, quick fluff, advertising, short term refinish alternative, etc... However one should think ahead before doing it..
My concern would be repairs from scratches or other things in the future.. Although if replacing the wrap or a large part of that is OK with the owner, then it is not so much of an issue. Otherwise paint or gel for long term would probably be the better route...
Again, just my opinions.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

You also have to keep cost/benefit/worth in mind. I love my Donzi Crossbow, but I know it is not a $50,000 + boat. So putting $15,000-20,000+ into a proper, well prepared paint job is not a legitimate option.

I'm sure you guys in the US can get an awesome paint job done for less, but I live in Vancouver BC ( the most expensive place to live in North America), so a good paintjob here is very expensive! Heck, my slip fee's are $850/mth for a 35' slip! But I am just venting. Even a crappy paint job would have been about $7500, but the wrap looks like a $20,000 job. It was an easy decision for me.

axelkloehn
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
crappy paintjob for 7500? Gotta start some business over there :bonk::yes:

silverghost
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Vancouver Mark~~~
You should not complain about the high cost of living in V.B.C. Canada !

Every day you wake-up to those spectacular Million Dollar $$$ views up there in the great Pacific North West !

You just don't appreciate just how lucky you are to be living there !

WOW~~~
I love V. B. C. Canada !

How is that great Steam Clock doing up there ?
I last visited just after it was first installed !

Come here to Philly some time !
You'll never complain again !

PS: Say hello to our old Donzi friend ~~~LENNY !

LKSD
03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
You also have to keep cost/benefit/worth in mind. I love my Donzi Crossbow, but I know it is not a $50,000 + boat. So putting $15,000-20,000+ into a proper, well prepared paint job is not a legitimate option.
I'm sure you guys in the US can get an awesome paint job done for less, but I live in Vancouver BC ( the most expensive place to live in North America), so a good paintjob here is very expensive! Heck, my slip fee's are $850/mth for a 35' slip! But I am just venting. Even a crappy paint job would have been about $7500, but the wrap looks like a $20,000 job. It was an easy decision for me.

I understand your sentiment, but don't give up hope.. They are becoming more & more sought after.. The values on the nicer ones are also not doing too bad, I do see them going up in value over time.. There are less & less of them left & even less of the nice ones.. They are a cool boat.. :) Jamie