PDA

View Full Version : Best guy to rebuild a MERC transmission? and PAINT

pipnit
02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey guys,

I have my motor out of my '76 2+3 and we're tearing in to it. While I'm at it, I'm going to paint the outdrive. WHat is the best paint to use for the drive?
Also, I have a merc transmission that has never done me wrong but since I'm pumping up the motor a good bit I want to have the transmission rebuilt. I know there is a place called Bugers in Franklin TN but they aren't answering thier phone and won't return messages. Is there a go to guy to rebuild these things properly?

Thanks in advance!

mrfixxall
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
theirs a guy in country side ill,,Federal marnie,ask for jim,708-352-2200..

He was a engineer for borg warner,,i know some parts are hard to get for the merc trans..you can try Buizilla here on the board,he also has a good guy that rebuilds them..

pipnit
02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
theirs a guy in country side ill,,Federal marnie,ask for jim,708-352-2200..

He was a engineer for borg warner,,i know some parts are hard to get for the merc trans..you can try Buizilla here on the board,he also has a good guy that rebuilds them..

Thanks for the info! Right now the only guy who I've talked to is down in Pompano, BAM marine and they were pretty salty but I have no benchmark as to what it should cost. They put in another plate and do some other mods too, not sure if I need all that. My pump and electronic gear shifter is all in good shape.

harbormaster
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
KC Marine in Bellingham washington rocks. You can find them online

Rodger
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
The Merctrans is basically Ford internals. A place that specializes in building automotive automatic tranmissions for racing can rebuild/modify the Merctrans to be more robust. That's the route I took 13 years ago and so far it's good. My setup overloads the trans quite a bit and the original starting slipping, prior to the rebuild.

BUIZILLA
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Matt @ TNT Marine

gcarter
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
For paint, most any high end automotive acrylic/polyurethane SINGLE stage paint.

lakematdude
02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Here's a link that could help you find your nearest repair dealer.:wink::)

http://www.velvetdrive.com/distributorsm.html