PDA

View Full Version : Benchseat Hornet in MD ?

silverghost
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
My buddy has a vacation home on the river in MD.
He tells me that he has heard that there is a Benchseat Hornet sitting in long term storage in MD.
The boat was once part of an estate .
The current owner/s seem to have little interest in actually using this boat.

Many of you forum guys have tracked all of the known Benchseat Hornets.
Do you know this boat ~~~or anything about it ?

Is it original ~~~or restored ?

Has anyone actually tracked it down & tried to buy it ?

Has anyone here actually seen it ?
Or an photo of it ?

What is it's color combo & Power & drive system ?
V-Drive ?
I/O ?

Where in MD is it actually located !

My buddy does not tell tall tales~~~

So I believe it really does exsist~~~Somewhere in MD !

Exactly where ?~~~
We do not know for sure !

I would like to track-it-down
and possibly TRY to buy it !

I have always wanted to own a Benchseat Hornet !

Brad Hunter
Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly )
215 947 4676
silverghost1926@msn.com

Sweet little 16
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62231&page=2

post 17

Just Say N20
02-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Could it be the one that Scot P. posted (and then removed) pictures of?

Sweet little 16
02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Could it be the one that Scot P. posted (and then removed) pictures of?

no that boat was not a bench seat hornet

mrfixxall
02-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Maybe its the one that mattyboy already bought?

Rob M
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I do recall a Benchseat Hornet from Maryland that was posted - very briefly - on a boating website back in 2002? or so. The posting disappeared quickly and mysteriously, and the boat was discussed on this site. As I recall, it was an estate boat. It was White with a maroon stripe and maroon interior, in mostly original state. I recall it was I/O, and not a v-drive.

mrfixxall
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I do recall a Benchseat Hornet from Maryland that was posted - very briefly - on a boating website back in 2002? or so. The posting disappeared quickly and mysteriously, and the boat was discussed on this site. As I recall, it was an estate boat. It was White with a maroon stripe and maroon interior, in mostly original state. I recall it was I/O, and not a v-drive.

post 26 & 28

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62231&page=2

silverghost
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM

ROB & others~~~
This sure seems to be the Hornet that my buddy was in fact talking about !

Could it still be in hidden somewhere in Maryland ?

I would like an I/O powered Benchseat Hornet~~~

My Dad owned an inboard V-Drive boat many years ago.
It was NOT a Donzi ~~~

V-Drives just do not interest me anymore.
The sluggish low speed handling, & difficult docking & backing-up of a V-Drive in a tight marina with swift tide current, along with it's lower top speed are my main objections to owning another V-Drive boat.

I now own a big 24 foot American Skier Eagle inboard skiboat with a Big Block Chevy FWC HP 500.
Possibly the biggest skiboat ever built. Only 9-10 ever produced !
I know the limits of a single inboard drive all too well !

That's why I want an I/O drive ~~~

The idea of owning an I/O Benchseat Hornet really severly limits my search down to only a few well-known boats~~~

Sadly these known I/O Benchseat Hornets may never be For Sale by their current owners in my lifetime !

This is why I have been working on my "Benchseat 18 Project "
the Yellow-Jacket !
(Photos are Posted On this Site )

A Benchseat Hornet I/O is still my "Dream Boat" of choice for my Great Egg Harbor Bay / Ocean City NJ & Atlantic Ocean boating area !

Sweet little 16
02-21-2011, 09:55 AM

yes white and maroon purchased from a widow/estate in MD it was sold the new owner has west coast east coast ties boat last whereabouts in lake george
mopar/ vdrive boat from factory.

there's one for sale here, one on ebay too

Sweet little 16
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
an I/O benchseat is a rare one inside a group of rare ones.
the Hornet was the high price tag high HP platform and back in that era the I/O were not strong enough to take the 300 400 500 hp options so they were V drives. In 68 the 250 came around and the 225 235 270 HP HM motors came around mated to the 250 volvo then in 69 the 290 hp HM but by that time the bench seat gave way to the 2+3 Hornet

silverghost
02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
It appears that I am indeed looking for that "needle in a haystack" with my search for an I/O Benchseat Hornet or a Donzi/ Berkeley Water-jet powered X 18 / or 18!

I would not buy a V-Drive Benchseat Hornet and ever try to convert it to I/O drive today.
This would spoil a good original boat !
To me these boats are far too historically interesting & rare to mess-around with their original drive configurations !
Unless~~~the Hornet was a completely trashed burn-pile boat ! :shocking:

My search continues for an I/O Benchseat Hornet~~~
OR~~~
A Donzi Berkeley water-jet drive X-18 or 18 like my uncle used to own in the mid 1970s !
I loved OUR family's old X-18 Donzi Berkeley/Olds 455 Water-jet powered speedboat !
It was literally a BLAST to drive !
I still miss it after all these many years !

I would buy both the above type Donzi boats in a heart-beat today !

Scott Pearson
02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Pictures of the MD Boat.

silverghost
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Thank's for the photos of the MD Hornet Scott !

My Buddy & I had just hoped that it was indeed an I/O drive & still for sale !

After your Fantastic & well documented World Class Restoration of "the Sting"~~~~

I was a bit shocked to see you put your project the "Ultimate" Hornet on the For Sale Martket !

I sure hope you found another great & worthy restoration project for YOURSELF ! ?

Matty:
How about giving me/us an Up-Date on your benchseat Hornet project's progress !
Photos appreciated too !

Because of my late Father's Illness & death I have been away from the Donzi forums too long !

And Matty~~~
NO~~~
I am NOT trying to buy your Hornet from you ! ;-)

I know how much you really love it !

Just Say N20
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Scott, what is the story (if any) of the MD Bench Seat Hornet V-drive you posted the pictures of?

Is it available? I'm not looking at the moment, but was curious.

Rob M
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Those pics are definitely of the one I was mentioning. I was wrong on the I/O though. Awesome boat. Thanks for posting the pictures Scott.

Scott Pearson
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Boat sold and left MD years ago. Somewhere in Lake George NY now.

Greg Guimond
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Cool pics, thanks. Is it the angle or is that port side steering wheel waaay left on the dash?

Sweet little 16
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Cool pics, thanks. Is it the angle or is that port side steering wheel waaay left on the dash?

looks about where they put them all.

might look more left as the windshield on the MD boat was cut-down so the curve is closer to the wheel.
here's another BS.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=461&d=1076935012

NJFASTECH
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I am considering selling my 82 Hornet II step through bench. Boat was recently split new stringers and tank,floor core replaced. rebuilt 5.7 vortec,new heads,high rise bow tie intake,manifolds and risers. Needs interior and some gel repair and is ready to go.It is an Alpha Gen II Boat lefty.

DAULEY
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
there was a bench running around our lake in the late 70s here in wis

Greg Guimond
02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Hornet II Step Through.........post up some pics :shades:

silverghost
04-05-2011, 12:51 AM
The mystery MD Benchseat Hornet project that I first asked about on this thread was located several weeks ago and is now listed in the Donzi forum For Sale section, complete with photos, by it's longtime owner Mario.
Check-it-Out ~~~

Just Say N20
04-05-2011, 06:24 AM
The mystery MD Benchseat Hornet project that I first asked about on this thread was located several weeks ago and is now listed in the Donzi forum For Sale section, complete with photos, by it's longtime owner Mario.
Check-it-Out ~~~

I'm missing something. . . .

Can you post a link?

cutwater
04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm missing something. . . .

Can you post a link?

Here ya go...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64743

Just Say N20
04-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Here ya go...