PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Chevy Engine Production ?

silverghost
02-20-2011, 12:29 PM
GM/Chevrolet shut down it's Big Block Chevy production machine equipment line in Tonowanda NY earlier in 2010 for the very last time .
This was done as a cost-cutting measure by the GM re-organization plan.
This production line had been running continually since the mid-1960s !

Has Mercruiser. , or anyone else acquired this old GM/Chevy poduction equipment ?

Will anyone else be continuing the production of the Big Block Chevy MK IV or VI in the future for our marine use ?

I know World Products produced their Merlin Big-Block based line~~~
But the cost of their basic engines & parts is substancially higher than the original GM/Chevy base engines & performance parts.

Others have also produced their own version of this big beast for race use also.

Is this perhapps the very end of the use of Big Block Chevy as a new OEM engine option in new production boats ?

I am glad I have a spare MK IV engine sitting in storage as I have a Big Block Chevy both in my boat & in my 1991 454 SS sport truck I use to tow all my water & auto toys !

MOP
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I read that blocks were also produced in Canada, maybe they will continue to be a source.

poorboy
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Mercury Marine is producing the GM BB 502 and is available thru Mercury Race engines as a bob tail or with selected outdrives. GM still offers the 502 as a crate engine while supply lasts. The 496 is now available as a reman from either GM or Mercury.