PDA

View Full Version : Another X 18 (Not mine)

Buddyc
02-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Looks real clean... but what do I know:wink:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/2217531797.html

Marlin275
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
"removable Radar Arch/Bimini top"

Hard to get that to work on a boat like this
although very practical . . .

Lively-one
02-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Don't need to be removable if you never put them on in the first place. I'm a longtime Donzi fan but I know zero about the X-18...can anyone give me a brief history on how they came about, production run, or how they are different other than cosmetically from a regular Classic?

Thanks, Adam

donzi racer
02-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Don't need to be removable if you never put them on in the first place. I'm a longtime Donzi fan but I know zero about the X-18...can anyone give me a brief history on how they came about, production run, or how they are different other than cosmetically from a regular Classic?

Thanks, Adam

Adam, I can help with some of that. There are much more knowledgeable members than I on the Donzi Models but I have had a couple of these X-18's & thought I would try & give you some info on them. Mostly on a sentimental level, cause I Love these little beasts. As far as looks, I compare it to the Corvette of the Donzi line, meaning there are some different aspects to this model from the traditional Classic 18 model. 1st the area just in front of the dash has a lift from front to back so it arches up more as it comes toward the cockpit. Gives it a rake, then moving into the cockpit area, the front seats are much taller than the classic seats, & the rear back seat is fixed instead of free moving or snap in. The botton rear seat does not snap in but is heavy enough & has a hard bottom & normally stays in place rather well. Now to the rear of the boat, do not, I repeat DO NOT walk across the back of the boat when it is wet or soapy as it is not a flat surface like the classic. It has a rounded rear hatch area & you will either fall on your arse or go right into the drink or both if not extremely careful. Finally there is a rounded rear but one of the best features of the boat is a natural rounded spoiler look to the rear of the boat like a 68 thru 72 corvette. The boat just seems to be a little sportier than the classic 18's. As far as when they were made, I have seen as early as 1973 models & as late as 1979 ones I believe. Mine were 1976 & 1977 models. There were 156 made according to this site but I thought I recalled the # to be in the 167 range from another source, & they seem to be a very sought after model. Most of them are port steering with the volvo outdrives although the 1977 model I just sold & delivered to Michigan had a TRS mercruiser originally in it & therefore was a starboard steering model. I would really enjoy leaning how many were starboard steering models as the 1977 model I had was the only one I have ever seen. I am sure there were more but not sure the #. I hope I have helped some & I know some of the Donzi Brothers will come on here & give you more exact data on how many & what exact years they were. I do know that a member here has a very mint looking one in the For sale section that I believe there was talk about it being a brochure boat from the period. That concludes my 2c. Tom

Buddyc
02-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the intro Tom... I was going to ask the same question. Do they have the say hull as the 18 2+3.
From the looks of it it appears to me that the bow flair is greater on the X18 ( I could be wrong).
I agree they do look very sporty and I like the analogy about the corvette. I know you love the little beasts but I thought your true love was the Minx?:wink:
Maybe your like the rest of us and just love em all... Be well
Bud

Marlin275
02-20-2011, 09:33 AM
There is another big difference.

The X-18 has individual drilled gauges.
All other 18s use cluster gauge mounting.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16498&d=1133893738

Buddyc
02-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Got to tell ya, Never really looked that close but they may be my new Favorite... I like the little bit of flair and style they have to them:wink:

Marlin275
02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Do they have the say hull as the 18 2+3.
From the looks of it it appears to me that the bow flair is greater on the X18 ( I could be wrong).

Hull is exactly the same
deck is different.

Sweet little 16
02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
the hull is the same as a post 1968 standard 18 2+3 rounded keel.
the X18 deck had lower clearance in the rear leading the factory to notch the stringers in the X18 to make the engine fit. the notches were not sealed and would lead to rot. this by far is biggest concern in an X18 over the normal structural concern in older classics.

DAULEY
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
i never noticed and notches in stringers

Lively-one
02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Adam, I can help with some of that. There are much more knowledgeable members than I on the Donzi Models but I have had a couple of these X-18's & thought I would try & give you some info on them. Mostly on a sentimental level, cause I Love these little beasts. As far as looks, I compare it to the Corvette of the Donzi line, meaning there are some different aspects to this model from the traditional Classic 18 model. 1st the area just in front of the dash has a lift from front to back so it arches up more as it comes toward the cockpit. Gives it a rake, then moving into the cockpit area, the front seats are much taller than the classic seats, & the rear back seat is fixed instead of free moving or snap in. The botton rear seat does not snap in but is heavy enough & has a hard bottom & normally stays in place rather well. Now to the rear of the boat, do not, I repeat DO NOT walk across the back of the boat when it is wet or soapy as it is not a flat surface like the classic. It has a rounded rear hatch area & you will either fall on your arse or go right into the drink or both if not extremely careful. Finally there is a rounded rear but one of the best features of the boat is a natural rounded spoiler look to the rear of the boat like a 68 thru 72 corvette. The boat just seems to be a little sportier than the classic 18's. As far as when they were made, I have seen as early as 1973 models & as late as 1979 ones I believe. Mine were 1976 & 1977 models. There were 156 made according to this site but I thought I recalled the # to be in the 167 range from another source, & they seem to be a very sought after model. Most of them are port steering with the volvo outdrives although the 1977 model I just sold & delivered to Michigan had a TRS mercruiser originally in it & therefore was a starboard steering model. I would really enjoy leaning how many were starboard steering models as the 1977 model I had was the only one I have ever seen. I am sure there were more but not sure the #. I hope I have helped some & I know some of the Donzi Brothers will come on here & give you more exact data on how many & what exact years they were. I do know that a member here has a very mint looking one in the For sale section that I believe there was talk about it being a brochure boat from the period. That concludes my 2c. Tom

Thank you so much for the detailed response Tom...and everyone else who chimed in. That was more than 2 cents worth...more like a whole dollar. I now feel like I know just about everything there is to know about the X-18! After my schooling on Corsicans the other day and now the X-18's I now know much more and I appreciate them that much more. Regards, Adam

Buddyc
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Thank you so much for the detailed response Tom...and everyone else who chimed in. That was more than 2 cents worth...more like a whole dollar. I now feel like I know just about everything there is to know about the X-18! After my schooling on Corsicans the other day and now the X-18's I now know much more and I appreciate them that much more. Regards, Adam

One thing you can count on Tom for is a well written, detailed answer on anything... Just ask him about "Father, sons and thier cars" Its a great story

donzi racer
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
One thing you can count on Tom for is a well written, detailed answer on anything... Just ask him about "Father, sons and thier cars" Its a great story

Well Well there Mr Buddy, since you seem to be liking these X-18's & I sure do like that little ole Barrel Back you just bought, hmmmmm? See where I am going with this? The funny thing about you saying that about the X-18, & they do have gobs of Sporty Looking mods but then again your 18 has so much natural vintage appeal & & & can you believe I just delivered one of the best looking color combo X-18's ever made to a new friend in east Michigan friday & it would be perfect for putting any motor, outdrive combo you wanted. Ralph, the very lucky new owner of the X-18 that I just gave away seems to enjoy the boat very much even though he has a lot to do to the boat before it is back in the water, it was missing the motor & drive leg. Now all I have to do is get you a good looking X-18 & maybe you will let me take that barrel back & put all this original 1966/67 drive train that I have sitting around waiting, in it & wouldn't you be proud that you helped keep a very rare older Donzi in the original theme that it was in 1966? hmmmmm? Well anyway Buddy, thanks for the good words. I have had 2 of the X-18's & the 1st one even ran, although I put quite a few motors in it. ha ha I kept it over 10 years & the Donzi net member that bought it kept it for a long while also. I believe it is in the Miami area now. Check out Tom Smiths 18 barrel back boat here on the registry, it was almost all original & what a joy to drive. It was really like driving an early Donzi right out of the showroom when it was new. It is quite something else. I love them fast, but that wonderful Blue Bird boat is really something. My 2c plus a little. ha ha Tom

BUIZILLA
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
there were left hand steer TRS X18's

Buddyc
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Im picking it up the weekend of April 15th... So you have plenty of time to pull a rabbit out of your hat. :wink:

donzi racer
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM

When you have time Adam, ask me about the Baby 14's, that was my 1st Donzi in 1967 & I just Love talking about that. Thanks so much for the good words & the opportunity to reminisce about great times in great Donzi's. Always here & open. Got lots & lots of 2c still in my pocket. Tom

PS Adam here is a picture of the family in front of our new boat aquisition, year 1967. Now, can you imagine how we worked out who got to go for the 1st ride, 1st water ski trip, & 1st test drive? I got to go everytime since I was the only one brave or maybe it was crazy enough to climb over the little windshield & crawl to the bow ring to help the little boat plane off with all the riders in it or if there was a skier trying to get up. ha ha Now how about that for a Donzi Boat Picture? I would say about 2c worth, yep, 2c. T

donzi racer
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Im picking it up the weekend of April 15th... So you have plenty of time to pull a rabbit out of your hat. :wink:

Now what colors do you like & not like? The rest I know because of what you just bought. ha ha The X-18's are great & I do love em & you are right my #1 want, need, gotta have another one is the 1987 Minx LE. That does not mean I cannot drool over all the other old classics, & those I truly do love. Da Racer

PS When people get into one of my Donz's for the 1st time, I always turn to them & say; in just a minute I am going to crank this beast up & the sound the pipes & motor make is going to make you just a little nervous. But I want you to know other than a breathing thing, I love this boat better than anything in this world. So I would do nothing to harm it therefor you either. Now sit back & have the time of your life. By the way, if it gets a little squirrly, don't worry, I used to race boats. They say oh that is good, why did you stop? I say because I had to many WRECKS! That usually wakes them up about the time I am giving it the throttle. hahahahahahahahahahahaha Tom

donzi racer
02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
there were left hand steer TRS X18's

Adam, this would be one of the more knowledgeable members I was speaking of earlier. Thanks Jim, how many trs port steering models have you seen? How about any other starboard steering models? That is one of the best things about the registry, the knowledge found here is unbelieveable, on just about anything you wany to know about these beauties, & we all just love Questions about them. Tom

BUIZILLA
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Poodle's is a LH TRS..

I really don't know, nor am I sure if the info exists, how many LH TRS X18 examples were built

Lively-one
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
When you have time Adam, ask me about the Baby 14's, that was my 1st Donzi in 1967 & I just Love talking about that. Thanks so much for the good words & the opportunity to reminisce about great times in great Donzi's. Always here & open. Got lots & lots of 2c still in my pocket. Tom

PS Adam here is a picture of the family in front of our new boat aquisition, year 1967. Now, can you imagine how we worked out who got to go for the 1st ride, 1st water ski trip, & 1st test drive? I got to go everytime since I was the only one brave or maybe it was crazy enough to climb over the little windshield & crawl to the bow ring to help the little boat plane off with all the riders in it or if there was a skier trying to get up. ha ha Now how about that for a Donzi Boat Picture? I would say about 2c worth, yep, 2c. T

Great family pic Tom! Loved seeing it...I've been looking for a picture of me and my girlfriend at about age 5 standing in front of my family's Donzi circa 1967. I've been in love with Donzis every since. So glad I found the Donzi Registry...along with you guys with your wealth of knowledge. Cheers, Adam

Lively-one
02-20-2011, 11:04 PM

I was perusing old posts here, as I often do, and found one from almost exactly one year ago today where you and a few others were talking Baby 14's. Ya'll put up pics and everything...I never even knew Donzi made such an animal. Such a great thing for me to finally learn more about other Donzi models that I never knew existed. Wish I could find one of those 14' for my sons...Regards, Adam

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I was perusing old posts here, as I often do, and found one from almost exactly one year ago today where you and a few others were talking Baby 14's. Ya'll put up pics and everything...I never even knew Donzi made such an animal. Such a great thing for me to finally learn more about other Donzi models that I never knew existed. Wish I could find one of those 14' for my sons...Regards, Adam

They were great little boats. I remember asking Brownie about them & all he said was they called it the Peanut & it was real easy to throw your butt out. My grandfather tried every trick in the book to try to get the boat to turn over, yes that is maybe where I got my crazy streak. They had told him at the factory that the boat could not be turned over. Of course he did everything he could do to prove them wrong but could not. I remember reading much later that Aronow himself took the little boat out in the 80 hp model, they also had a 120 hp model, which we had, anyway as Brownie tells it, Don went out & came back a short time later dripping wet & when Brownie asked him what happened, he said something I cannot repeat here. He was evidently pitched out of the boat & I have always wondered how in the dickens did he get back in. Our little Baby had a throttle lever that my Grandad called a dead mans throttle because it would come back up if you let go of it, but it would still be in gear & would still be putting along. So I have always imagined that I could just see Don Arronow swimming after & cussing it at the same time. The steering wheel would also go all the way one way so it would just putt around in circles. As far as finding any of the 13 original ones for sale, I know of 9 of them but there have only been a couple for sale in the last few years. My 1st one comes up every once in a while but is in need of a complete restoration. He sold it on ebay once for $12500 but when the Registry member got there is was a mess & did not take it. He had offered it to me before for $6000 or $6500 after that Ebay fiasco, which is probably more than anyone here would give, but I would of course, but when I go to pay for it, more than once the price seems to always go up. I think $8,000 is the magic #. Would be glad to give you his name & number since I am out at that price even though I would probably give more than most because of the History I have with the boat. It is the only white hull with just the red stripe I have ever seen which is strange really since you would think that the most popular combo. I have always wanted an all red one with a white stripe. I know of three of those & they do not seem to be coming up for sale anytime soon. There is also a light yellow one that was redone & the owner told me when he slipped a 140 HP merc with power trim in it, was like it had a supercharger on it. If it had of been a red one instead of the yellow, I would have tried to move heaven & earth to own it but I just could get around the yellow. The boat was done up very nice with all new powertrain & interior. I thought the boat to be a little pricey at $25,000 but it did come down to $20,000 & there was some talk about even $15,000 might buy it. The restoration had weathered a bit but was still a very unique boat with only 13 ever being produced should possibly be a good investment for the long run as long as you include the Fun Factor. I believe I still can give you his name & way to get in touch with him or his family. Finally I have an original 80 HP engine & outdrive from Poodles little 1967 F-14 which was completely restored & the pics of the resto are here on the registry which is the same hull with a more open top side for fishing & they only made 12 of those. I just wanted to keep the engine in case I ever found one in need. The engine is made by renault & is light enough for one strong person to lift. It was really neat since it had a cable going from the engine compartment to the outdrive & you litterly cranked up the drive like an old Model T when you wanted to raise the engine for trailering. One last bit of info was that I had my Grandfathers cancelled check for our first one & it was about a thousand more dollars than a 427 corvette in 1967. That always amazed me. Grandad ordered it & drove down to Miami to accept delivery at the Donzi Plant on 188th. As you can see my 2c always seems to explode when I reminiss. Call me sometime & will be glad to share those names & numbers with you. Tom 256-777-0844 or mishunaire@aol.com

PS the only caveat is you would have to promise me that if my old one was ever sold again, I would be the 1st call./ ha ha T

RW2003
04-15-2011, 07:31 PM
New listing, (I assume) same boat.

DONZI X-18 Classic - $14900 (http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/2317609146.html)

DONZI X-18 Classic 1977, Yellow & White original gellcoat, NEW white interior, 350 Chris Craft 300HP, NEW removable Radar Arch/Bimini top, full cover, Garage kept, collectors dream,
Runs Great...2nd owner, turns heads every where, 60+mph boat, always on trailer, no bottom paint ever, ..
14,900.-- call chas @ 5167295185

http://images.craigslist.org/3k43m33p85Q05X25S6b4ac84ad37ee0821388.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33m03o05O05T45P4b4a28fd6cee3f731e6e.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3kc3ma3le5U25P15X3b4ace0d74ee14da18e2.jpg

johnnywhale
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
listed again

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/2560844549.html