PDA

View Full Version : Nice and warm and toasty......

fogducker III
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I have had the new engine running so obviously there is water in the block, we have had a couple of cold spells lately and due for more. I do not really want to drain the block etc so was trying to think of a safe, cheap and easy way to keep the engine warm. I have a wood stove in the shop so during the day and into the early evening it is not a problem to start and keep a fire going, but what to do during the wee hours...???

Then I recall, many moons ago, when I had big sideburns, I had a water bed for a short time.....:eek: I grew out of the fad and used the headboard and base as firewood but kept the flat electric pad heater to use to keep wine carboys warm when brewing my wine......I thought about it the other night and grabbed the heater and slung it down and under the boat engine from side to side so it "wraps" the oil pan, set it on medium and ta da.........warm and toasty engine with no worries, built in thermostat and circuit breaker......might be a market for something like this....:confused::wink:

mrfixxall
02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
I have had the new engine running so obviously there is water in the block, we have had a couple of cold spells lately and due for more. I do not really want to drain the block etc so was trying to think of a safe, cheap and easy way to keep the engine warm. I have a wood stove in the shop so during the day and into the early evening it is not a problem to start and keep a fire going, but what to do during the wee hours...???

Then I recall, many moons ago, when I had big sideburns, I had a water bed for a short time.....:eek: I grew out of the fad and used the headboard and base as firewood but kept the flat electric pad heater to use to keep wine carboys warm when brewing my wine......I thought about it the other night and grabbed the heater and slung it down and under the boat engine from side to side so it "wraps" the oil pan, set it on medium and ta da.........warm and toasty engine with no worries, built in thermostat and circuit breaker......might be a market for something like this....:confused::wink:

option 2, you could go to the local gm dealer and get a plug in block heater that goes in the freeze plug,its brass so you would not have to worry about corrosion..1996 chevy 7.4 truck ewill fit all of them..just have to worrie about boiling the water??..

fogducker III
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
option 2, you could go to the local gm dealer and get a plug in block heater that goes in the freeze plug,its brass so you would not have to worry about corrosion..1996 chevy 7.4 truck ewill fit all of them..just have to worrie about boiling the water??..

Way cheaper and easier to use the heater...:wink:

Tony
02-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Others have used a light bulb...

mrfixxall
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Way cheaper and easier to use the heater...:wink:

the heater element is only 28 bux and the cord is 14 bux..

Fishermanjm
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
i think with what u must have invested in that motor, i would not have taken any chances,,, sounds like the TLC u gave it was well worth it

HOWARD O
02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I use a simple shop light and a 75w bulb for the times we get a good freeze. I put a plastic cup of water in there to inspect for freezing. So far, so good.

fogducker III
02-17-2011, 09:57 PM
i think with what u must have invested in that motor, i would not have taken any chances,,, sounds like the TLC u gave it was well worth it

Good input....:wink:

I have to laugh, I posted this only for information, not advice....what I did works, and it is cheap, IE. free.....thanks Fishman.....:yes: