PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Donzi Ski Sporter #420

jl1962
02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
For Sale

1967 Donzi Ski Sporter
302 Ford (original 289 replaced in 1991), freshened/warmed in 2002.
Volvo AQ200 upper/250 lower (original lower replaced in 2008)

Hull 420, built spring of 1967. A real time capsule, original manuals, original 1967 catalog (signed by co-designer Walt Walters in 2010!), original price sheet, decades of original hand written service notes. This is a 5 owner, well documented FRESH WATER boat. Originally from the midwest, it has resided on Lake George for the past 5 years. Believed NEVER in salt.

Expertly, professionally and sympathetically maintained with an open checkbook by Performance Marine in Bolton Landing, NY. Many receipts available. Since 2006, work includes: new gauges, new wiring, rebuild tilt, rebuild/replace original Volvo 200 lower w/ Volvo 250 lower, new shift cone, mufflers added, Bilt-Rite carpet, repro shift knob, all regular maintenance etc...Many props including a 19" Solas.

New Performance Custom trailer - 2009

New coque-pit cover - 2010

Tank replaced - 2004-MAJOR PITA - Thanks Tony!

This is a well documented early Ski Sporter w/ all original hardware including difficult to find slotted steering wheel, original factory windshield and the original chrome rear view mirror. Boat is well known by Donzi enthusiasts and has received several awards from the Lake George Donzi Classic Club including Best Original Donzi at the Club's 2010 Dust-Off.

Reluctantly for sale to make room for another Donzi (not the one you think!) Bring it to AOTH as they celebrate the Ski Sporter, or run it on Lake George at the 2011 Dust-off. A wonderful old boat. Boat is in extremely good shape and shows very well - just some honest patina and as a classic car friend says - patina is the new black!

Price: $16,420

jaylurie@optonline.net

Just Say N20
02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Jay,

I'm speechless . . .

Someone is going to get an awesome boat.

And how do you know what one I'm thinking of? OK, you do, if there was a recent thread with pictures removed.

jl1962
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM
:boat:Thanks Bill and others (emails) for the kind words. Here are some links to the deck off tank replacement performed on Tony's watch.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35831&highlight=deck+day

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36402

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36558&highlight=deck+day

Keeping anything this old, this nice for this long is a labor of love.
This boat has had a lot of good care and every future owner will be the beneficiary.

Not cheap and not for everyone, but very cool and getting hard to find.

Here's a few more pix, with and without the windshield.

Thanks for looking!

-JL

Lively-one
02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Beautiful boat...thank you for sharing the photos. I actually drooled a bit.

Greg Guimond
02-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow Jay, say it aint so?

rondonzi
02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Well worth the money someone will get a beautiful boat. I have a 1971 all orginial 16. If I didn,t have this one it would be gone.

BobinCovington
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Extremely nice boat... Extremely fun to look at too. Having a 16 myself, I find I am looking at all the details and thinking "wow, nice clean job there"

72Hornet
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
What a time capsule. For those of you who own a boat, then you know how much effort and money it takes to keep something nice and original. It applies to cars, wood boats, fiberglass boats ets. The difference between a 95 point boat to a 100 point boat is an incredible amount of money, skill, time and luck in getting and keeping them this NICE. This is a beautiful example of an awesome Ski Sporter!

BobinCovington
02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I still love those pictures...is this all original gel or has it been painted?

jl1962
02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Bob -
Good question.

The boat is painted. I believe Imron (or equivalent) was applied in the mid-90's. At the same time, the 90's style decals/flags were put on (visible in some of the pictures when the windshield was still on). When I got the boat in 2006, I ordered correct '67 style decals from Richard Weaver. The paint is still very good and when I pulled the old decals off, there was almost zero fade. Unfortunately, I botched the port side and pulled off a lot of the old paint w/ the old decals :bonk: . So in 2007 or so, most of the port side was resprayed as well.

At any rate, the boat is painted - one half of it pretty recently.
Thanks for asking.

And if you ever have to take old decals off of a painted surface - try a heat gun, or solvent BEFORE using the razor blade!!!!!

-Jay

BobinCovington
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I bought my decals and even bought an extra set figuring I would probably screw it up. But I didn't and now have a backup set for when I do someday. Looks great still, those period correct 67 decals make it look much better.

I'm looking at all the nice photos of your boat and checking my list of "to-do" items for my boat. Man I need to get to work on my own 16...I wish I had those seats in my boat. Looks like whoever made those did a really nice job.

jl1962
02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
The L-seat (and seatback) is original and in remarkably good shape. The helm is obviously newer, but shouldn't be too hard to get - I believe it's Donzi OEM. I, and others have tried to tempt Bob (knots2u) out of retirement but so far no luck - if you're reading this, please come back!

Bob - your boat is the real time capsule!
When you do decide (or are forced) to replace items, you will make the right decisions.

BobinCovington
02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
We need our own ski sporter mutual admiration club LOL. It is fun to talk to a fellow Donzi owner with one of the "little boats".

Tony
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Jay, couldn't you leave your Ski Sporter at Lake George for when you are there...and buy a second Donzi to use around your home? :)

Seriously, although the compliments are nice, any buyers out there?

:beer:

jl1962
02-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Jay, couldn't you leave your Ski Sporter at Lake George for when you are there...and buy a second Donzi to use around your home? :)

Seriously, although the compliments are nice, any buyers out there?

:beer:

Hi Tony-

Nah.....too salty down here. Besides, if I put one of these things in at my sailing club, they'd kick me off the Board! Come to think of it, that might be a good exit strategy for me!

Lots of looks, emails, compliments etc...(thanks everyone!) but no real cabbage yet! I can be patient, spring is coming and as my grandfather used to say, it only takes one buyer!

Peace - Bro!

jl1962
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
March Madness!!!
ttt
:boat:

With One Change:

It has been a few weeks since I listed the boat and the offer is now contingent upon my purchasing another Donzi. Right now there are two on my radar - however if they should sell, I will happily keep Ol Red!

I recognize that it is still very early in the year but I can very flexible regarding timing, delivery, payment etc... for the right buyer.

Any questions/comments - please don't hesitate.

-JL
:cool:

Greg Guimond
02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
:convertib:

jl1962
03-10-2011, 05:30 AM
To the top

And another picture!

Mmmmmm.......Spring

BobinCovington
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
With all this talk of high gas prices...imagine owning a 16 single engine Donzi. $75 dollars to fill up and run all weekend in a classic boat that started it all.

Most, (if not all of us), have boats and can appreciate this, but somebody that stumbles on this boat for sale will love this one.

Bobby D
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I was lucky enough to see and go for a ride on this boat and it is perfect. Anyone with a late 60’s Ski Sporter memory and has always wanted to own one here is your chance to purchase this well preserved time capsule. Boat is turn-key for sure; the Ford 302 is well sorted out and has a sound like no other. Jay can’t stay silent any longer thanks again for the ride and good luck with the sale.
Bob

jl1962
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Bob and Bob-

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding fuel economy - while not exactly a Prius, the boat is relatively affordable to operate - about 6-7 GPH at a medium/fast cruise.

Bob D- Thank YOU for the ride in your Ski Sporter! Hope to see your 18 this summer.

-JL

jl1962
03-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Buy John B's boat!

:yes:

I mean, seriously, what did you think I was going to say?

:wink:

Sweet little 16
03-31-2011, 06:32 AM
back TTT

jl1962
03-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Pretty quiet.

Although I am having an interesting, ongoing correspondence w/ an offshore (I suspect) scammer. I should receive a deposit any day. :bonk:

Always nice to have a new pen-pal! :rolleyes:

Greg Guimond
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Sometimes the comic relief alone is worth it! Boat looks incredible.

jl1962
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks Greg. It's a great boat. Even my wife, who has a love/hate relationship w/ the boat, thinks I'm nuts to sell it.

At this point, I'm viewing it through the prism of an experiment - Call it Building Nautical Tension, or maybe just Relieving Winter Boredom!

Thank goodness it's almost baseball season!

Sweet little 16
03-31-2011, 09:56 AM
well it is good to keep one's sense of humor .
great looking boat good luck with the sale.

sweet 16 1966
03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Jay,

I have a favor to ask of you. Would it be possible to get a copy of your interceptor manual? I have never seen one!

I have not seen a Ski Sporter as nice as yours. The pics show what incredable shape its in. Was this Tony's boat? You have a great time capsule.

My Ski Sporter is currrently all apart and I have been enjoying my 22 too much to jump back into the 16 for now. I have owned it since 1980 and had more fun with it than anything else I ever owned. The 22 is nice but it can hurt you quickly as I know when pushed - I am very lucky. Its also much more expensive to operate. I too got around 6-7 mpg vs 2 on the 22 with a stock 502. When gas prices hit $4.00 a couple years ago- I stayed home .
50 gals @ $4.00= $200.00. Run 80 - 100 miles and put 40 more in!

Good luck with your sale and possibly new purchase! You are into the fun portion now- looking for another dream. They are out there as is yours for someone.

Take care,

Russ Kilby

jl1962
04-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Hi Russ-

No problem. Going to Chicago today but will look into it next week. Good luck w/ your boat, I have seen pictures. Yes, I bought this boat from Tony in early 2006 - it's a real deal, LBJ, Summer of Love, Jimi Hendrix kinda thing!

-Jay

tschwerm
04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I have a 69 or 70 purchased new by my father in law 900 hours Original DONZI trailer. Holman Moody original 302 Volvo 250 out drive. Any thought of how much it may be worth?

Just Say N20
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I have a 69 or 70 purchased new by my father in law 900 hours Original DONZI trailer. Holman Moody original 302 Volvo 250 out drive. Any thought of how much it may be worth?

First, Welcome to the site!

Regarding your request, you have not provided enough information for anyone to be very helpful or accurate.

There are lots of great folks on here who could probably help you if they had additional information.

Out of respect to Jay, and his listing for the sale of his SPECTACULAR 16, you could start a post in the WHATEVER YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT section, and provide additional information, and perhaps some pictures.

badbird
04-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi Jay
Just wondering if you received the pm i sent you ?

I think I'm still having problems with the pm.

I send it,then check my sent messages and it shows 0 messages sent ???

Thanks again
Neil

jl1962
04-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Yup.
Thanks.
Got 'em both!
I'd say you fixed your PM problem.
:wink:

Good luck, keep learning, keep asking questions and maybe attend an Event or two. Great way to meet people and get a lot of boat rides!

-JL