PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt at Dallas boat show

Conquistador_del_mar
02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
A friend of mine just sent this picture of a Cobalt that was at the Dallas boat show this weekend. It was a knockoff of the Donzi Corsican, but I can't remember their name for it. Enjoy, Bill

mike o
02-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Bill, This manufacturer has a very strong retail presents in the New England area. This particular product however is absent from their web site. I just looked to see what the power options are. Challenging engine hatch, with slippery wet feet after a dip for sure.........:wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Bill, This manufacturer has a very strong retail presents in the New England area. This particular product however is absent from their web site. I just looked to see what the power options are. Challenging engine hatch, with slippery wet feet after a dip for sure.........:wink:

Mike,
This is an old restored boat from the 1970s - not a new model. Bill

zelatore
02-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I would have been hard pressed not to go up to somebody at the display and ask for some painter's tape and a marker. When they asked why, as they obviously would, I would explain that I just wanted to go down and fix the name on the side of their boat... :shades:

Rob M
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
but I can't remember their name for it. Enjoy, Bill

They called it a GT-500 I believe.

mphatc
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
very nice resto, thanks for sharing! Ironically Cobalt built more of these than Donzi did of the Corsican! And their cloning was very accurate to the original, right down to the H&M power plants on the early versions.

Wish my Corsican looked as good . .

Mario L.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-14-2011, 08:04 PM
They called it a GT-500 I believe.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the model name.

very nice resto, thanks for sharing! Ironically Cobalt built more of these than Donzi did of the Corsican! And their cloning was very accurate to the original, right down to the H&M power plants on the early versions.

Wish my Corsican looked as good . .

Mario L.

Do you know what years Donzi made them versus Cobalt? I really enjoyed my old Corsican about 20 years ago, but I needed the money from it to buy something else. This one does like a nice restoration. Bill

LKSD
02-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Lenco SS tabs, Newer bravo.... someone spent some money on her. Looks good.. :)

Just Say N20
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Here is a link to the thread in Other Boats For Sale of a Cobalt VX500 that just sold for $6,900!

Lots of pictures!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=591286&posted=1#post591286

mphatc
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice buy at 6900.00 . . .
boat looks like it needs a full refresh.

As I recall the Cobalts had foam cored hulls, Donzi's are solid glass. The deck of the Corsican is foam cored. Much of the hardware is identical, which is a bit frustrating as some of the Corsican hardware is unique and can't be bought anywhere today . . .

Corsican production ended in 76, with hull number 54, but there were two additional boats built after that for dealers as their own boats.
Hull number 1, C18 C1 is a black and white boat with gold trim built for the NYC Boat show in 1968, it has low hours and is in NH. C18 C54 was a blue and white boat and is now in Canada.

The last boats were right side steering, and were built with TRX drives and Chevy small blocks.

I've never seen a retail price for a Cobalt, but they must have sold for less than the Donzi.

Mario L.
C18 C32 1969 Corsican Ford H&M 302