PDA

View Full Version : Changes in the Classic 22 over the years...

Mooglide93
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Great forum guys!!! Honored to be a New member of the family!!!
I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay, and have been a boater with my dad since I was 10 years old in 1964. We enjoyed a variety of boats including an early 70's Formula... I have always admired the Donzi Classic 22 and finally have one, an '03 w/ a 496 HO that I purchased from SuperDave 210, (absolutely a great guy), here on the forum. I am now anxiously waiting for Spring and my first seat time driving the Donzi, now on Lake Lanier, North of Atlanta!!!

I seem to recall reading on one of the threads, a summary of how the Classic 22 has evolved over the years, with company ownership changes, power plant changes, etc. I have searched for hours and can not find the thread again.... Please point me to the thread or any other reference info you think would be helpful...

Thanks for your help...

gcarter
02-09-2011, 05:43 PM
You can start here;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=6
We know more now since this was written.
Most of the changes came w/the purchase of Donzi by AMH (American Marine Holdings) in '94 (we think).
Since you said you's is a '93, that may put the date in jeopardy.
Take a look at the sketches and the dimensions of the inner strakes and the inside-to-inside stringer dimension. Are there "shelves" over the stringers in the engine compartment?
So, that's what we need from you!!!!!
Previous to the ownership change, Classics were built in Indiana at the Christ Craft factory. Is yours one of those?
Another thing to look for is whether your boat has reversed chines. maybe some pictures of the outside portion of the the transom at the chine.

Carl C
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
George, his is an '03 w/496! Looking forward to his first driving impressions.:)

LKSD
02-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Congrats & welcome.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Morgan's Cloud
02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Previous to the ownership change, Classics were built in Indiana at the Christ Craft factory. Is yours one of those?

Those must have been the most perfect of all boats ever made .. :kingme:
(Sorry George , I couldn't resist ... haha)

Mooglide93
02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
George, Carl & Morgan's Cloud! Thank you for the response and the information. And yes Carl, I can't wait for the first drive!!!!! i think it will be very exciting as well as somewhat humbling....

Jamie, I greatly appreciate the welcome. Looks like you have a great business, care very about customer satisfaction and get to enjoy working in a field that you are very passionate about... Nothing wrong with that!!!

Any other info about the engine options available during the different years would also be appreciated....

Thanks again!!! I'm already enjoying every minute!

Butch Garrison

gcarter
02-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Butch, your boat has been repowered. I wonder why?
It originally would have come w/an injected 502 and a B-1, which was a really good package.
Some of us here thought one of the main reasons the stringer positions were widened was to allow, eventually, wider, and lower engine installations like the 496 which we thought woulod require a lower position for hatch clearance. To get the the lower mounting position requires stringer spacing, we thought.
I think we figured out that the CC plant reversed the chines just before the AMH purchase, but that the wider stringer/inner strake positions changed after production started in Sarasota.

Good luck

LKSD
02-10-2011, 06:14 PM
George, Carl & Morgan's Cloud! Thank you for the response and the information. And yes Carl, I can't wait for the first drive!!!!! i think it will be very exciting as well as somewhat humbling....

Jamie, I greatly appreciate the welcome. Looks like you have a great business, care very about customer satisfaction and get to enjoy working in a field that you are very passionate about... Nothing wrong with that!!!

Any other info about the engine options available during the different years would also be appreciated....

Thanks again!!! I'm already enjoying every minute!

Butch Garrison

Moon, thanks & yes you are correct about me.. :)

On a different note. I see your boat is listed as a 2003 model. I & George evidentially didn't catch that part.. lol :) That would make it a newer generation model built by AMH / Donzi..

There were a though a few different variations as George was starting to mention. Besides some of the little differences that not everyone notices about the hull & frames.

Different generations and editions usually sported some different hardware, dash panels & windshields depending on the year/series. However for the most part they are very discernible by the shape of the hull much like one looks at a Porsche 911 old or new & they know it is a Porsche for the most part regardless of the year or series..

Beyond the couple different generations of the 22 there have been several different editions. Some that come to mind off the top of my head are: The SE, The Black hawk, 30th anniversary ed, 40th anniversary ed, Shelby edition, 009 edition & MY favorite the Testarossa Edition.. But I may be a little biased there.. lol ;)

Again welcome & hope this helps ya.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

MOP
02-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Do we have two Mooglide93's if so that clears up my confusion! I spoke to Butch about an hour ago about his 93 5.7 22 that he bought out in Cal, the boat only has 46 hours and has the Italian windshield a rare item. It resided on Arrow Head lake that had a speed limit of 35 MPH, said it is absolutely brand new in condition. phil

GBond
02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Congrats on the Donzi purchase Butch!

gcarter
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I think the screen name threw me off! Wierd!

Mooglide93
02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Phil, George & Jamie.. I must apologize. It seems I have screwed this one up.... I think this will help... I purchased two Classic 22's. One is the 1994 that Phil mentioned It is a white/teal stripe boat with 46 hours. It has the original 5.7 small block. I bought the boat from the original purchaser and on Lake Arrowhead, a small mountain lake with a 35mph speed limit in California. It's an absolutely, beautiful stainless windshield boat, spent most of its time in the dry storage rack. I've had it for about a month..It appears to be an AMH Sarasota boat. Must be one of the first....
And now for the other one! On Monday, I purchased a 2003 white/ blue stripe, Classic 22 from a really great forum member. It has the 496 HO and also has very low hours. I don't have it home yet, working on that.... It has a Rally graphics package, the monster gages, dual batteries and some other goodies.
So that's my story, I apologize for the confusion. Will post some photos when possible.. Thanks to everyone, especially Phil for the phone call. Enjoyed talking with you and learned a lot! Lots more to learn. Again, I sincerely thank you guys....

P.S.The name Mooglide93 comes from another interest. In '93 Harley made a bike called a Nostalgia. It was Black and White with matching cow hide seat and saddle bags. That's my ride for the N. Georgia mountains...

LKSD
02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Ahhh Ha!... That explains it better & now makes more sense.. :)

Wow, no way to jump in as a fan like buying 2 Donzi's! :D Jamie

CHACHI
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
One 1993 "Cow-Glide".

Ken

gcarter
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Does this mean Donzi is going to offer a "Harley" edition???
Or Harley is going to offer a "Donzi" edition?

:wink::wink:

LKSD
02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess this is turning into a harley thread.. lol :)

This was back in the fall of 1999 with my new 2000 Softail... :) I could still hear Kristin over the exhaust.. lol.. :D Jamie

Mooglide93
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the congrats Gbond, for the Mooglide photo Ken, and for the continuing my "trim tabs 101 class" Phil.... Good looking Softail Custom Jamie!!! All of your support and help is very much appreciated!
Butch

Time to go fast!!!!