PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs

ralph crocker
02-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Anybody got experience with Eddie Marine K plane style tabs. They seem reasonable.

Masterkey83
02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
My cousin has a pair on his 22 Classic,been on for about a year with no problems.They are the 12x17's I think,very responsive.

LKSD
02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, I too have experience with their products.. Nice units and a good bang for the buck in comparison to the Merc K planes. We sell and install a good amount of EMI stuff. We also offer some others that make larger units too like the Dana version and Lenco versions. Again also nice alternatives to the Merc K planes.. :) Jamie / Lakeisde

LKSD
02-06-2011, 02:43 PM
My cousin has a pair on his 22 Classic,been on for about a year with no problems.They are the 12x17's I think,very responsive.

Alistair, Is that Lonnie's boat? I remember he ordered some pretty cool stuff from us a while back.. :) J

Masterkey83
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Yea Jaime,that's on Lonnie's.We just put a 350 verado on it,don't know if I told you.She really wants to hit the 80 mark,but we haven't got the "magic" prop yet.So far,76.5 gps 23p mirage.

LKSD
02-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Cool... :)

yeller
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Compared to the cost of K-planes they definitely look like a good deal. I also can't see any real differences between the EMI's and Dana's which are a bit more money.
Although I can't give you any feedback on them, I do have a set on order myself. I should have them in a couple weeks. If you're in no rush, wait till the spring and I can let you know how I like them.

I can tell you that the company itself is horrible when it comes to customer service. Twice I contacted them to get information on the tabs without a response. I'm hoping the tabs are trouble free, because I am expecting EMI will be difficult do deal with if I need help.

Greg Guimond
02-08-2011, 07:00 AM
yeller, are these the Eddie's you went with?

yeller
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, those are the ones.

roadtrip se
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Ralph,

Brian has put these on a few Donzis here in Michigan and they look like a pretty good set-up. One caveat, after running Hotshot's 22 with them, we did flip the plates over, as they do tend to drag and scrub speed. Flip them, and they ride just a bit higher on the transom, which solves the problem. I think the last set he installed, EMI made the alteration before shipping them. I really like the silver finish. If I ever get around to replacing my Bennetts, which is a low priority because I don't use them, this is what I will use. Nice stuff.

yeller
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
One caveat, after running Hotshot's 22 with them, we did flip the plates over, as they do tend to drag and scrub speed. Flip them, and they ride just a bit higher on the transom, which solves the problem. RT, what am I missing here? Flip the plates? What I'm envisioning would be functionally impossible. I'm picturing the actual tab being flipped. What part are you talking about when you say "plate"?

Also, if the desired result is to have the tab higher, shouldn't they just be installed higher?

Based on your experience with Hotshot, how high up from the bottom of the transom do you recommend these tabs be installed?

Thanks

roadtrip se
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
RT, what am I missing here? Flip the plates? What I'm envisioning would be functionally impossible. I'm picturing the actual tab being flipped. What part are you talking about when you say "plate"?
Also, if the desired result is to have the tab higher, shouldn't they just be installed higher?
Based on your experience with Hotshot, how high up from the bottom of the transom do you recommend these tabs be installed?
Thanks

Yeller,

When I talk about the plate, I am talking about the running surface of the tab.

The plates I have seen have the mounting point for the rams screwed in. So, you would take it off, flip it over and swap to the other side, as the opposing sides of the plate are slightly different on the two sets I have seen, with the inner edge being slightly indented.

The tabs were mounted at the EMI recommended height. Can't tell you exactly what it is, because it wasn't my boat, but they looked like the standard k-plane position to me. The higher you put these on the transom, the longer you are going to wait for them to tap the water, as it is a trade-off.

LKSD
02-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Without me double checking my install notes on tabs I think usually the recommended install height it 3/8" to 1/2" up from the bottom of the boat. They should never be mounted flush with the bottom if at all possible as they can then scrub the speed more easily & without need, however mounting them too high is not good either.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Greg Guimond
02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
He could also look to do a pair of mini K-planes..........

yeller
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks RT. I guess I did understand you correctly, except I thought the ram supports on the plates was machined as one unit (supports and plate). I didn't realize the supports were bolted to the plate.

yeller
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
He could also look to do a pair of mini K-planes..........Greg, I would have bought a set of K-planes if I could have found a good deal on a used set. The best price I saw on a used set was pretty much equal to the price of a new set from EMI. I know the K-plane is a superior tab, but for my boat I think the EMI's will be strong enough...so I decided to go new.

bertsboat
02-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Hi Greg, that is the same set of K-planes I used for my boat. I bought them at Marine Salve in Stuart. They had another set the last time I was there. And yes they were expensive, I paid $1200 for mine. They were old but never used. NOS is the word I am looking for.
I have not hooked them up yet but I have them installed and oiled up and I have cycled them up and down with a battery.
I should ne done in a few weeks, in time for the Mt Dora show here in Florida March 26, 27 and 28.
Bert

Greg Guimond
02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Those mini K-planes are pretty beefy. I'll be interested in hearing how fast they are once you install them in a few weeks.

What does a set of EMI's cost?

yeller
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
EMI's: I paid $1700 for mine.

LKSD
02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Greg,

The tab prices will vary depending on what ones you choose. They offer a few different models & sizes. But if my memory is correct they will start off somewhere around where Yeller mentioned & go up from there depending on which ones & what all else you may add. Dont forget this style uses a cable & cable display system that is not included in the kits. Also from what I recall some do & some do not include control switches. I have been happy with all of the ones we have sold & installed.. Again the ones that are made by Dana are similar & price similar as well..

As a side note, if you are thinking of a set of nice tabs for your 16 project you may want to consider the SS Lenco's.. No pumps & the tabs are built much sturdier than the Bennett stuff. Quicker too IMO.. One other nice thing is you can easily integrate an electronic indicator into it without a lot of wiring and there are no cables to run other than the plug & play wire harness'.. We are currently installing one of their larger sets currently in a midsize Checkmate. Nice stuff.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations :)

yeller
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Good point Jamie. The tabs I purchased do not have switches. I'm hoping I can modify the ones I have to work.
I will also be losing the electronic indicators, so I'm not too happy about that. The mechanical ones are pricey. I'm holding off for now, but know I'll end up getting some eventually.

LKSD
02-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeller, If you are planning to still use indicators, you may want to consider a heads up set up. Although it would have to be placed carefully on the top of the dash. It would leave your main dash alone though... I have sold & installed some on some other boats. They worked well & looked pretty trick..
Below is a boat I restored & redid the dash set up on that we put the heads up unit in.. :)

:) Jamie / Lakeside

yeller
02-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I have considered the 'heads up' indicators. I do have space on by dash for the standard type, so I just need to decide which way to go. Trouble is, I think all mechanical indicators are grossly overpriced, so it will just take me time to wrap my head around spending the $ first. I figure by mid summer I'll have weakened enough. :)

LKSD
02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree. Seems like a lot of coin for a couple of sliders in sheet metal. Especially when they mass produce them.. But it is what it is I guess.. :) J