PDA

View Full Version : neutra salt system question

dicor
02-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Neutra-salt sytem on their Mercruiser? I will be in salt water 100% of the time and would really like to extend the life of the manifolds, risers etc... . It makes sense to me if it works the way advertised but you know how it is, if it sounds to good to be true it usually isn't. whaddayathink?

Ed Donnelly
02-05-2011, 02:01 PM
For what is is worth, the solution is $40 a gallon..

For such a simple system, it seems really expensive ($250)...Ed

MOP
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
As most know I have been a salt water mechanic for a goodly portion of my life, these salt products due have merit. But I will give you my personal view on what I have witnessed over the years, what goes bad first are the risers. The risers drain and dry out and rust away, the manifolds follow they last a bit longer staying wet. The block its self lasts a very long time, I had boat in my place that were over 20 years old still going strong. IMO you only need a few minutes using these products to flush the exhaust, first off as soon as the cool hose water hits the thermostat it shuts keeping the stuff pretty much out of the block and heads.

I myself have never used any of these products, a religious good flush job has served my very well for many years.

Phil

DonziJon
02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
The antidote for Salt Water use is a Fresh Water flush after each salt water run. It's that simple. There is NO Magic Snake Oil. SORRY. Nothing. Fresh water flush is all you need.

Closed cooling is definately better, (w/antifreeze), but that's a different story. :bonk: DJ

fogducker III
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
The antidote for Salt Water use is a Fresh Water flush after each salt water run. It's that simple. There is NO Magic Snake Oil. SORRY. Nothing. Fresh water flush is all you need.

Closed cooling is definately better, (w/antifreeze), but that's a different story. :bonk: DJ

I agree with MOP and I agree with you, to a point...........religious maintanance is the key, however, I have proved to myself that Salt Away disolves built up salt crystals in an engine...period.....I inspected my engine before and after use and it works, not sure how, but it does.....so for the very small investment, IMO it is worth it....IF you don't have Salt Away, the next best thing is fresh water, also, when rinsing your engine, let it come up to operating temp so the thermostat DOES open.....................:wink:

Not sure what this Neutra system is....:confused:

Fishermanjm
02-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Dicor, were are u boating??? Ed Jon an MOP are all correct,,, there is no easy solution butt flush with fresh water. I have been boating on Narragansett bay for more than 25 yrs flush with your garden hose after each use is your best defence. My father had a 32 cruisers for 20 years. I set up a fresh water flush system for him. I changed the intakes an t-stat housings once. No risers or ex manifolds. Flush it!!! I've had outboards for ever this willbe my first season with my classic,,, flush it relegously,,,,,,

dicor
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I've been away from boating for the last 7 years but have had boats for 30 years before that. I thought that I had boating out of my system but I guess not. It's kinda like a hemorrhoid they never really go away ha-ha I'll be back on the water this season for sure. Barnegat Bay to be precise.
I agree that there is no easy fix for protecting your iron against salt water. The way I see it, no matter what the engine has to be flushed at operating temperature. However I'm told that salt deposits will seep into the iron and get trapped there. The Neutra-Salt or Salt away will draw out those deposits and neutralize the salts corrosive properties. This kind of sounded like sales crap but the Marina that is brokering the boat I'm looking to buy swears by it. I'm thinking of installing one of these the same time I replace the manifolds & risers. Hydro locking a 454 scares the daylights out of me.

450rrrr
02-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have first hand experience with the Neutra-salt sytem on their Mercruiser? I will be in salt water 100% of the time and would really like to extend the life of the manifolds, risers etc... . It makes sense to me if it works the way advertised but you know how it is, if it sounds to good to be true it usually isn't. whaddayathink?

.a buddy that runs a marina down here in florida told me one time to use dish soap to flush out the salt.im just telling you what i was told.not sure if there is any science behind it. but he said it did just as good of a job..
to be honest i use salt away first.....then i run a batch of dish soap after...if nothing else it makes lots of bubbles..cant see that its hurting anything anyway.

MOP
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
There are a ton of people using detergent @ about 1-25th the price!

Fishermanjm
02-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Dish washing soap??? Hell I'll try it!!! Never heard of that
before. Use the soap after a garden hose run? Out of a 5 gal
bucket?

maddad
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Dish washing soap??? Hell I'll try it!!! Never heard of that
before. Use the soap after a garden hose run? Out of a 5 gal
bucket?
I don't think the soap really does anything but assure you've flushed it well. I was told to pour some dish soap into the adaptor, run it on the hose and when no more bubbles were coming out of the exhaust, you've flushed it long enough.

fogducker III
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think the soap really does anything but assure you've flushed it well. I was told to pour some dish soap into the adaptor, run it on the hose and when no more bubbles were coming out of the exhaust, you've flushed it long enough.

+1...... :wink:

dicor
02-08-2011, 05:05 AM
I agree