PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard 2011

Just Say N20
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
To watch the news cover it, you would think we got 5' of snow last night.

This doesn't seem too different than many of the mornings in Upstate New York, where I grew up, during the winter, but it was an "event" here in Grand Rapids.

Best I can tell we got 15" - 18" of nice, fluffy snow last night. I had fun with the toys.

The Ariens snow blower is from the early 70s, best I can tell, and is a great little machine for a 2-stage, 4 hp blower. You can't hardly bog it down, even when the snow is taller than the opening. The only down side is that it only throws the snow about 15' because the engine is governed down to such low rpms.

The Craftsman unit works well, at least until the belt broke. My fault. I saw it was fraying but didn't replace it at the beginning of the season.

Everything in Grand Rapids is closed. Hilarious.

BUIZILLA
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
did you spot any Murano's with plow blades?

wait, you don't need one :wink:

tjags
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Same hysteria up here in Maine. Everything is closed, townsfolk are going nuts, and there is only 8" of snow on the ground.

BTW, I saw a Jeep Liberty with a plow on the front today...wow!

zelatore
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Talked with my brother in Ft. Wayne, IN and a friend in Milwaukee, WI. both had good snow. Milwaukee had about 3-4' drifted over the road in front of his house/drive; snow up a couple feet against his doors. Ft. Wayne had a 'class 1 snow emergency' (whatever that is) and banned any driving except for emergencies.

It was pretty tough here in the California delta as well. I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. Took some pics on the drive in this morning. Sunny and 60 by 10 AM.

Say what you want about California, but when we want snow we just drive up-hill.

DAULEY
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
we got dumped on

DAULEY
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
we have drifts 8 to 10 ft
just talked to my old nieghbor in st charles il he has drifts 15 ft in front of his garage over the gutters and up on to the roof

donzi racer
02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
we have drifts 8 to 10 ft
just talked to my old nieghbor in st charles il he has drifts 15 ft in front of his garage over the gutters and up on to the roof

Thank goodness you guys warned me about this. I was going to head out to Michigan yesterday. That would have been very bad indeed. Let me know when the streets or interstates are passable. WOW, thanks, I am happy with Bama & Florida FOREVER!!! Tom

Marlin275
02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
did you spot any Murano's with plow blades?

wait, you don't need one :wink:

nice jab, where does it compare the 3 seat MDX against any Murano's with plow blades?? nowhere here.... :wink:

half an inch of ice here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBSlV1jE-Y

Just Say N20
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. Took some pics on the drive in this morning. Sunny and 60 by 10 AM.

Brutal. :wink:

Got a new belt for the Craftsman, not from them of course, because they don't stock them. Why would you stock a belt for your blower?

Got to play good neighbor for about 4 hours this afternoon. Loved every minute of it.

The sun even came out for a couple of hours.

Just Say N20
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
half an inch of ice here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBSlV1jE-Y

I was out doing that in my wife's all wheel drive Pacifica this afternoon. A total blast. It is surprisingly excellent in the snow!

I love the part of the video where the whole car is "in-the-curl" of snow like a surfer in the curl of a wave.

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
18 inch's here in Holland today . Hey guy's i fired up the ole John Deer (snow blower)twice today and the funny thing is i had a Doctors appoiment with a surgeon and there office called around 7.00 AM to let me know that there office was going to be closed today due to the weather.

DAULEY
02-08-2011, 09:26 PM
just a few pictures,:: enjoy :)

Just Say N20
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Excellent!

I can barely make a traditional snowman. :eek:

DAULEY
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
i thought people would like to see what can be done with snow
there were teams from all over the united states

maddad
02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Excellent!
I can barely make a traditional snowman. :eek:
Me either, but they still had a big impact on the crowd.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61437&stc=1&d=1297268366

jstrahn
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Cool pics. We got about 14" here in Iowa but the wind was ridiculous. I had bare grass on the north side of my house and 4 feet on the south side on my driveway.

I was able to pick up a used snowblower, thankfully. Thing is a hoss...8 horse, 2 stage. It goes through anything. Should have picked one up years ago with the driveway I have.

Now it's just bitterly cold. -12 actual temp last night. I think the high today is 1. Summer can't get here soon enough.

Fishermanjm
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
25-2-11,,, rain an fog has taken most of the snow away, there is still a 3ft wall of frozen stuff in front of the boats in the yard, its lookin better didnt think it would ever go

zelatore
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
The weather has found California! Last night we got snow down to 1000' in the bay area with rain and winds around 50 mph at sea level and 90 in the mountains. (lost a couple dock boxes and a trash can here in the marina)

All the highways headed over the Sierra were closed. I80, 50, etc. They got 2-4' in a few hours. Here in the bay area lots of minor localized flooding.

The real cold is due in overnight, with snow levels expected at 500' and the possibility of snow on the ground in San Francisco. It's happened before, but rarely.

All the local radio/TV have been in a lather about the weather. Yeah, OK, it's bad in the Sierras, but let's be honest - in the bay area it's not exactly life-threatening guys. Calm down!

Why is it doing this? Because we have an outdoor boat show this weekend, of course. :bonk:

BTW, I hear Murano sales jumped 200% on Thursday! :wink:
(Damn! I just can't leave it alone, can I?)

HOWARD O
02-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Crazy weather......6:30 pm, just finished supper and it's 72 outside. Won't last though.......... :cool: