PDA

View Full Version : 18 Barrelback

Buddyc
02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
If you could choose a powerplant for a 18 Barrelback, What would you choose? 383?, 357 scorpion?.
Keep in mind, Budget for motor and outdrive is 8 to 10k. I want to keep the integrity of the boat and still have the get up and go. without loosing sight of a true classic boat.

DAULEY
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
377 blue scorpian and bravo mr x might have one for you send him a pm

gcarter
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Please keep in mind we're talking about a boat that's nearly 50 years old and designed for 200 HP.
If you really want to double that power, consider pulling the deck and reinforcing the stringers and anything else that could benifit.
Also consider changing the fuel tank.
Good luck w/the project

Buddyc
02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Please keep in mind we're talking about a boat that's nearly 50 years old and designed for 200 HP.
If you really want to double that power, consider pulling the deck and reinforcing the stringers and anything else that could benifit.
Also consider changing the fuel tank.
Good luck w/the project
All of that was complete. I bought Rootsys Red Mistress. Should be here in a week or so when all this damn snow melts...lol

Buddyc
02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Would it be a bad thing to put under 300 horsepower in her?
275 hp 350 with Alpha drive? I really dont need or want anything close to 400 hp

gcarter
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Would it be a bad thing to put under 300 horsepower in her?
275 hp 350 with Alpha drive? I really dont need or want anything close to 400 hp

I guess your original question was a little confusing when compared to this post.
W/a stock 350 Vortec 4 barrel producing 320 HP (available at reasonable prices @ Michigan Motorz on eBay, for instance) will push the 18 to 65 or better. Not a lot of money either. Also bulletproof.

Buddyc
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I guess your original question was a little confusing when compared to this post.
W/a stock 350 Vortec 4 barrel producing 320 HP (available at reasonable prices @ Micigan Motorz on eBay, for instance) will push the 18 to 65 or better. Not a lot of money either. Also bulletproof.

Im sorry if asking dumb questions... Just that I dont want to get in over my head and not be able to realistically splash the boat. 65
Would you run a Alpha drive with that? I dont beat on my stuff, and after putting in the workload I will need to do on her to get it right... 65 will be plenty fast.

DAULEY
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
i would try to find a alpha ss it will help you gain a few mph

LKSD
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
260 to 320hp is average in those. I would keep with the bravo especially if you already have a bravo transom that is coming with the boat. The bravo unit is stronger and more durable than the alpha unit. Also you will be rigging most if not all of the rest of the boat from scratch. At this point the $ difference between using an alpha and a bravo will be negligable. However the drive will usually be a little more $ than the alpha.

Anyway it was nice chatting with you on the phone earlier today. Congrats again on the boat and good luck on the project. You found a nice boat there and Rootsy got some good stuff out of the way for you already, just take your time on the rest. Besides part of the fun of a project like this is taking your time and enjoying the project as a whole.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
02-02-2011, 09:12 PM
i would try to find a alpha ss it will help you gain a few mph

The Alpha SS is old & will still cost a pretty penny, and it wont net him much over the bravo. Just something that is old and more difficult to get some stuff for, as they are no longer made & have not been made for over 20 years. He also would have to get a different transom assembly as he already has a bravo one. It would be more aggrevation and expense than it is worth in this case IMO... :) Jamie

Buddyc
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I would like to stay with the Bravo b/c I do have the assy.
However I am trying to stay open if I find the powerplant that suits my needs best:crossfing:

Buddyc
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Saw a nice setup today.
350 Mercruiser that they rebuild and stroke out. They call it a 357 Mag 275 Hp Alpha drive $8000
All new Complete

gcarter
02-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree w/Jamie, go w/the Bravo.
I dare say, you can buy a new GM 320 HP engine and a good used Bravo drive for considerably less than that.

Buddyc
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree w/Jamie, go w/the Bravo.
I dare say, you can buy a new GM 320 HP engine and a good used Bravo drive for considerably less than that.

Thank you for your imput and expertise. I hear that the Alpha drives arent quite as dependable and the Bravo drives are almost bullet proof.
How does this sound as a plan? Please correct me if im wrong...
To soften the blow of cash heading out. I wanted to but the motor first, install it and do all the necessary rigging. Install the deck, which gives me access to build my dash and install interior and trim pieces. I wanted to but and install the outdrive almost last. Gives me time to find a pre owned or a better deal than im finding now.
Thank god for Rootsy for doing so much work ( and a great job) with the hull and deck... I will try to do the Red Mistress proud:wink:

gcarter
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Here's a nice selection of new engines w/various levels of completeness for marine applications.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engines-partial-engine-packages-c-31_55.html

Also, if you set up a search on eBay for Bravo drives, you can find, over time, quite a few Bravos in the $1K-$2K range.

Tak your time. Like Jamie said, it'll take awhile to completely rig the boat.

Greg Guimond
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Time is your friend, don't put a false sense of urgency on your project.

Buddyc
02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I know its going to take a couple of years to get her wet. Luckly I have alot of expierance painting cars and custom work.... so the painting and overall finish will be easy for me.
Im just excited. Been looking to get a Donzi for quite sometime... She will be my 1st. Im looking forward to the journey and watching her take shape.

Buddyc
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Here's a nice selection of new engines w/various levels of completeness for marine applications.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engines-partial-engine-packages-c-31_55.html

Also, if you set up a search on eBay for Bravo drives, you can find, over time, quite a few Bravos in the $1K-$2K range.

Tak your time. Like Jamie said, it'll take awhile to completely rig the boat.
I found this place near where I live and they have alot of the same stuff and I think prices are a bit better
http://stores.ebay.com/Nuwave-Marine-Wholesale-Boat-Parts

LKSD
02-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Thank you for your imput and expertise. I hear that the Alpha drives arent quite as dependable and the Bravo drives are almost bullet proof.
How does this sound as a plan? Please correct me if im wrong...
To soften the blow of cash heading out. I wanted to but the motor first, install it and do all the necessary rigging. Install the deck, which gives me access to build my dash and install interior and trim pieces. I wanted to but and install the outdrive almost last. Gives me time to find a pre owned or a better deal than im finding now.
Thank god for Rootsy for doing so much work ( and a great job) with the hull and deck... I will try to do the Red Mistress proud:wink:

That plan could work fine as the drive usually does go on last when rigging, or at least it can usually go on last.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside