PDA

View Full Version : need help in my quest for a classic 16

flxwhaler
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I Need help. I love the classic's. There is one I am looking at but need help in determining a "fair" price. Its a 1995 Classic 16 with a 4.3 liter Alpha1 outdrive. Silent choice exhaust. Trim Tabs. Gelcoat and upolstery is in good shape. I wouldnt say the boat is "mint" condition but it is in good shape. Stored (shrinkwrapped) outside. Boat has not been used for 3 years and has been "winterized" with RV solution and has a full tank of "treated" (3 year old) fuel. Boat has no saltwater exposure. Seller is Second owner. Trailer is a little rusty in spots but tires in good shape. NADA says $6,500 but he is asking nearly double that. Again, I am not looking to steal this boat and yet I dont want to get taken. Fair for both parties. You guys are the experts. I know there are many variables, but any help in terms of what would be considered a "fair" price for both parties would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-Whaler

MOP
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
First off I would have to hear it run, check the drive and do a compression check after a little run time. The RV anti freeze may be an issue, some had no rust inhibitors, I would pull the circ hose, and exhaust manifold feed hoses see what kind of corrosion it has. Anything sitting that long may have issues. IMO if all that comes out good 7.5-8k, if it were a V8 you could push that number a fair bit.

Just Say N20
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree with MOP on the price.

As has been said before, and will be said again, NADA values for Classic Donzis are less than useless.

flxwhaler
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys for the input! Agreed about the NADA as they use boat depreciation formulas that dont really apply to Donzi's. Wow! $7,500 to 8k is way far off from the seller's "firm" asking price of 12K. I did hear it run as he had the outdrive in a tub of RV solution. It ran. I was surprised after not being in the water for 3 years, but thats really no indication of what will be the case when it goes in the water and the engine is subjected to a "load". No way to take it for a test drive now as lakes are locked up where I live. Regardless of that, there is still a 4 K spread. That is fairly significant. I really want this boat but not if I cant arrive at a "fair" purchase price and I certainly dont want to wind up in the hole with expensive repairs....... Now I really dont know what I should do to try to get the seller "in the price ballpark"? Any suggestions? Thanks again guys!
-Whaler

ralph crocker
02-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Don,t know where you are but I have a nearly perfect one. I got it late last year. It is in great shape with a 305/thru hull exhaust. Perfect trailer/new tonneau cover/new mooring cover/and a full storage cover. I have a great 22 and starting a project x18. Wife says something must go. Price would be $12,750 firm. It is truly beautiful. Stored inside heated storage. I picked the V8 for possible build up of power but right now dead stock.PS Alpha drive.

ralph crocker
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Not insulting but 3 years no use is tough. Possible corrosion on bearings and when they are going to sit that long should have spring pressure relieved/exhaust and carb plugged after fogging.