PDA

View Full Version : Bluprint help.

McGary911
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey all. It's been quite a while since my architecture class in high school.

I have a bonus room above my 3 car garage. There's a wall between bays 2 and 3. I want to knock it down. I want to be triple sure it's not load bearing. I don't think it could be. I have the blueprints for the house, and there's no special marks for that wall. It looks just like all the others. Is there a way to tell if it's marked as load bearing? I just want to know for sure before I collapse my house.

Thanks. Once I feel comfortable enough to knock it down, I'll surely provide before\after pics.

MOP
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Can you scan that area of the blue print, it should be very easy to make a determination.

Phil

opa
01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
A peek in the attic will tell you the direction of the ceiling joists and whether or not they are seamed on that wall or one piece. If they are one piece spanning the garage the issue becomes if they're meant to run that much of a span. A bunch of pics of the garage and attic will get you a better answer.
Mike(maddad,at my dad's)

McGary911
01-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Taking Phil's advice, and posting a pic of the blueprints.

OPA, no attic above the room, so I can't take a pic of that.

I think I may have found my answer. I took a look at all the other parts of the house, and think I've identified the markings for a real load bearing wall. I've included a pic of that as well. Looks like they cross hatch the load bearing ones. Those are identified by red arrows in my pic. No shading on my soon to be knocked down wall. I took a pic of the room, and the garage underneath as well. The garage is one open space, and not a 2+1 kind of deal.

My sis is in town for a visit, and just reminded me that her neighbor is an architect. She's gonna run the pics by him just to be sure.

Another funny thing. Curious if anyone's ever seen this before. My blueprints are definitely for my house, but are an exact mirror image of how the house is built. Guess someone changed their mind at the last second. First time I was tracing the wiring, I was way confused for about 5 minutes, before I took a step back and figured out what was going on.

Appreciate all the help all, both here and via PMs.

Oh, and that pool table in the garage is destined for the room upstairs once the wall goes away, and my hardwood floor goes down. I'll likely post that as a before and after one day once my project is done.

BUIZILLA
01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
helluva a rake ya got there :yes:

Greg K
01-30-2011, 09:57 AM
It's not a load bearing wall, you're good to remove.