PDA

View Full Version : TRS question

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know the HP rating of a TRS outdrive or the maximum torque it can take? The transmissions can be built up to 1000HP+, but I was wondering about the actual outdrive. My Cigarette TRS drives are holding up to the 540s making 630HP each, but I was thinking about 800HP for another project. Any thoughts? Bill

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Bill , i was told last week from a friend in Austin who is a Marine Mechanic that a Trs on a smaller boat will handle 500 hp with good dependability but has seen boats with 650 ish hp that often becomes a drive that is a time bomb .

gcarter
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Add a Konrad to the gimbal.
I bet that would hold up!

MOP
01-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Griz pushed one heck of a lot more through his super charged Critter for quite a few years!

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the inputs. 800HP is probably pushing too far. Konrads are out of my realistic price range. I wonder how much power Grizz was putting to his? Bill

gcarter
01-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the inputs. 800HP is probably pushing too far. Konrads are out of my realistic price range. I wonder how much power Grizz was putting to his? Bill

You may remember Grizz got his Konrad as a refurb, and essentially new. I seem to remember he paid between $5K-$6K for it. I think Mr Magoo was the source. I think he's a dealer.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 11:01 PM
You may remember Grizz got his Konrad as a refurb, and essentially new. I seem to remember he paid between $5K-$6K for it. I think Mr Magoo was the source. I think he's a dealer.

George,
I thought they ran around $12K+. I don't remember reading that Randy bought his as a refurbished one - I thought it was new. Thanks for the clarification and info. I wonder if the II speedmaster TRS that I have would handle around 600HP like the regular TRS drive? - that would be a good way to go unless I break something in it - :nilly: I am asking these questions in anticipation of the Martini I will get tomorrow since it has the 330HP TRS setup. Bill

Ghost
01-29-2011, 11:17 PM
George,
I thought they ran around $12K+. I don't remember reading that Randy bought his as a refurbished one - I thought it was new. Thanks for the clarification and info. I wonder if the II speedmaster TRS that I have would handle around 600HP like the regular TRS drive? - that would be a good way to go unless I break something in it - :nilly: I am asking these questions in anticipation of the Martini I will get tomorrow since it has the 330HP TRS setup. Bill

I thought it was a refurb, or that there was a discussion of refurbs at the time.

Not sure what things actually move for, but I read that Konrads go for either 14 or 15 retail. 15 for the duoprop I think.

gcarter
01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Here are the two threads I remembered, but they were sanitized when the Poodle left. I distinctly remember the discussion and that Poodle had also had an opportunity to purchase one and that it was in the $5,500.00 range. Maybe Kurt will pipe up and clarify things.
....of course, I'm 66, and I've slept since then!!:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56468

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58349

MOP
01-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Just in case you did not read the full text: A mention of Gris's HP!

To sum this project up in total the drive was worth it and I would do it again in a heart beat. Rebuilding the engine was a good idea before it rebuilt itself. Changing the M1 to an M3 was a wast of time and money. Now to qualify that part of this. If I were going to go to 8.5 Psi of boost, which I am not, the M3 is a better choice then the M1, because the M3 does not have to work so hard to do it. Just so you know when i first built this in 2000 it had over 800 ponies. we dropped boost and Hp down to just under 700 for durability reasons.

So his TRS held up very well for nine years with a tad under 700, He was getting worried that after all that time. From what I have read and heard he had no problem running the boat pretty hard, if I had a good TRS I would run it. If you do puke it there seems to be enough parts around to keep you going for a long time.

LKSD
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Mr Magoo (Kurt) is the Rep for Konrad.. I am a dealer & installer..

The 5-6k ones for the most part are gone & a thing of the past. They had some Mil spec & demo units a while back that they were offering like that here and there. The new stuff is noticeably more, but still worth it for what you are getting.. They can and do hold big power well.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

To answer the other question, Id say 800hp is pushing the trs a good bit eventho some have done it.. One of the problems these days to is with rebuilding them you end up with some availability issues on some parts, also some of the parts that are available yet are not built to the same quality & standards as the original trs internals.. ;)

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Jamie , you just might want to mention that anything above 500 HP depends on the owner as far as reliability goes along with using the standard Merc Transmission which would be ......to use or not to use ?

LKSD
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
True..

If one did want to keep the trs set up tho, there are some upgrades and some heavier trannys out there that can be put to work with them. They just cost $$$$$ thats all... :) J

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
True..

If one did want to keep the trs set up tho, there are some upgrades and some heavier trannys out there that can be put to work with them. They just cost $$$$$ thats all... :) JJamie ,personally i have alway's loved running a Trs , setup with a S/B or even with twins ................great combo .

Rodger
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
My TRS drive is 33 years old and 23 of those years I have been running about 650 H.P. through it.

MOP
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
The weak link in a TRS setup was the tranny, Merc in an effort to keep the package short used Ford C6 guts, if you have (I think 4-5") to spare move the engine forward and use a Borgwarner a much better unit.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2011, 12:30 AM
My TRS drive is 33 years old and 23 of those years I have been running about 650 H.P. through it.

Now that is a testamonial to TRSs!!

The weak link in a TRS setup was the tranny, Merc in an effort to keep the package short used Ford C6 guts, if you have (I think 4-5") to spare move the engine forward and use a Borgwarner a much better unit.

Thanks. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2011, 12:54 AM
To answer the other question, Id say 800hp is pushing the trs a good bit eventho some have done it.. One of the problems these days to is with rebuilding them you end up with some availability issues on some parts, also some of the parts that are available yet are not built to the same quality & standards as the original trs internals.. ;)

Thanks, Jamie. The 632 I have also makes some serious torque which probably nixes the TRS idea. It sounds like a mid 600HP is about as far as I would care to push one from the inputs here. Bill

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Bill , i just sent you an E-Mail ...........Take Care . Artie

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Hey guy's , Bill -Scippy ,& myself , are still up and kickin ...............around 2:30 A .M.......Mich time .......not bad for a bunch of old farts .....ha ha ha.

LKSD
02-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Jamie. The 632 I have also makes some serious torque which probably nixes the TRS idea. It sounds like a mid 600HP is about as far as I would care to push one from the inputs here. Bill

Your welcome.. However dont forget a lot does have to do with the driver. The trs is a little heavier than the B1 & is not a bad drive, it just has some limitations and like anything else should not be abused. However if you already have one in great shape than it may make sense to keep it depending on how you would plan to treat it from a driving and service perspective.

You just need to carefully weigh your options thats all. Also if you are trying to get some more speed the bravo series would have less drag and less power draw, you could also go with a shorty if you needed to.. :) J

MDonziM
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Phil,
Watch what you say about the merc trans... I said it was a weak link and got ambushed. BTW I have 3 for sale (merc2)

Marshall