PDA

View Full Version : 1979 26' Martini

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
If any of you Texas guys see this boat headed north behind an ugly green/gold GMC 1 ton crew cab dually on 45 or 75 tomorrow, it will be me and my wife pulling it up to Denison in north Texas from Houston. I look forward to running it after a few modifications. Bill

scippy
01-29-2011, 03:00 PM
If any of you Texas guys see this boat headed north behind an ugly green/gold GMC 1 ton crew cab dually on 45 or 75 tomorrow, it will be me and my wife pulling it up to Denison in north Texas from Houston. I look forward to running it after a few modifications. Bill

Okay, the ugly green/gold GMC crew cab is yours right?........what about the Martini?.....that trailer ain't bad either!

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Okay, the ugly green/gold GMC crew cab is yours right?........what about the Martini?.....that trailer ain't bad either!

I am buying the Martini tomorrow from the owner who I am meeting north of Houston. It will probably change many of my plans since it will be ready for cruising - :yes: I couldn't resist its appeal. Bill

blackboat
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Congrats,nice looking boat !!

mphatc
01-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Bill, if you add any more boats to your yard, the town will require you get a marina permit . . .

Seriously, how many do you need??? :nilly::nilly::shocking

Mario L.

Ghost
01-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Congrats Bill. Another really cool boat. I'm looking for any excuse to hate you now. :)

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Congrats,nice looking boat !!

Thanks. You have a great looking boat I remember seeing.

Bill, if you add any more boats to your yard, the town will require you get a marina permit . . .

Seriously, how many do you need??? :nilly::nilly::shocking

Mario L.

Mario,
Not really shocking - I like boats of all types. When I mentioned that this one would probably change some plans, I meant that I would likely be letting some of the others go. I am getting too old to be restoring boats like I did 10+ years ago when I could totally restore one in 6 months or less while working on other projects, too. I have always enjoyed restoring boats and probably always will, but my body does not keep the pace like in the past where working 70 hours a week was normal. In my case, I have reached the realization that I would be better off selling some of the boats and settling on a few that I can enjoy and will not need restorations - sort of like my cars where I sold 5 in just the past year. Long day tomorrow. :yes: Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Congrats Bill. Another really cool boat. I'm looking for any excuse to hate you now. :)

Instead, how about just coming down for a ride? Thanks, I hope it is as nice as the pictures - he seems like a great guy on the phone.

BUIZILLA
01-30-2011, 06:59 AM
big block or small block?

Greg Guimond
01-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Bill, congrats! I don't know how you could not have bought this one. When is the last time what looks like a mint Martini showed up at all, never mind in your back yard and was red ? Now the big question, is that sucker freshwater use to boot :crossfing:

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2011, 09:31 AM
big block or small block?

It has the 330HP/454 TRS package that was so common.

Bill, congrats! I don't know how you could not have bought this one. When is the last time what looks like a mint Martini showed up at all, never mind in your back yard and was red ? Now the big question, is that sucker freshwater use to boot :crossfing:

You apparently understand the way I think, because those were my very thoughts. Yes, the boat was originally in Michigan for the bulk of its life, followed by Colorado, and then Houston. The owner told me it has only been in "brackish water" twice - it has a total of 540 hours on it. I think Scot from the Donzi site here saw it at Victory Marine when the owner just took it in for service work this week so it would be ready for me. Apparently, the guys at Victory Marine offered to broker it for him, but he told them he had a pending sale. The owner is almost my same age and his wife wants a larger boat with AC, etc. which is the reason he is selling the boat. I will be leaving in 1 hour for the trip. Wish me luck. Bill

MDonziM
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice Bill!

Congrats. I don't know much about the boats other than the name, but it looks great. Great vintage.

Ghost
01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks! If I'm down that way I will let you know and see if anything works.

HIGH LIFE
01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Bill, this boat looks fantastic, good luck with it. Nice single engine, great ride. Will you be selling the 36' Cig ? "HIGH LIFE"

scippy
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Bill,

"If" ....you give up the Mag project :eek: would that 632CID stroker find it's way into the Martini?..........Good luck with the new boat. No time like now to enjoy your toys. I can sympathize with being a liittle less than enthusiastic for some restorations these days.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Bill so after reading what scippy just wrote are you throwing the towel in on the Mag ?

budandfun
01-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice boat!! I emailed about that boat and one more week I was heading down to pick it up. (-: Please let me:popcorn: Now what you plan to do with it or the mag.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Budandfun -welcome aboard and i see this is your second post ..........Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .......

budandfun
01-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Budandfun -welcome aboard and i see this is your second post ..........Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .......

I know but I’ve done lots of listening and learning over the past four years….(joined in 07)
Thanks by the way…

here are some of the photos i got...

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/budandfun/martini1-1.jpg?t=1296443227

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/budandfun/Untitled.jpg?t=1296443628

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/budandfun/martini2.jpg?t=1296443697

Greg Guimond
01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
540 Hours and in brackish water twice? Glad this is going to someone who has "the touch". Great grab :cool!:

Greg Guimond
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Btw, when you get it home and run the tape from tip to stern I believe you will find it to be 25ish. I'd be curious of the exact length. Martini changed hands and became Corsa at a later date. A gentleman I know ran one with dual 200 wackers and got 77mph. Sorry about the wacker stat.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Too tired tonight to respond after 11 hours of driving (some of it through rain, hail, and lightning), but I got the boat home safe and sound and love it. Solid as a rock :yes: Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Nice Bill!

Congrats. I don't know much about the boats other than the name, but it looks great. Great vintage.

Marshall, thanks. It seems to be really well made.

Bill, this boat looks fantastic, good luck with it. Nice single engine, great ride. Will you be selling the 36' Cig ? "HIGH LIFE"

Thanks, Michael. Yep, I will be selling the Cig after I repair the floor and install the new upholstery. A guy named Chris should be calling you about the Volvo speedmasters - he called me about mine so I gave him your numbers. Sounds like he has a cool 28 racing Cigarette that needs a pair of them.

Bill,

"If" ....you give up the Mag project :eek: would that 632CID stroker find it's way into the Martini?..........Good luck with the new boat. No time like now to enjoy your toys. I can sympathize with being a liittle less than enthusiastic for some restorations these days.

Scippy,
I think the 632 is a little too much motor for the TRS, but I might build up a 540 for the Martini later. I will probably just run the 330HP for a while.

Bill so after reading what scippy just wrote are you throwing the towel in on the Mag ?

Yes, almost for sure, but I will do a little more thinking about it since they are not easy to find.

Nice boat!! I emailed about that boat and one more week I was heading down to pick it up. (-: Please let me:popcorn: Now what you plan to do with it or the mag.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I guess I was the first guy who came through with some money. He did have lots of guys wanting to trade things for it. I plan to keep the Martini - the Magnum is still a question.

540 Hours and in brackish water twice? Glad this is going to someone who has "the touch". Great grab :cool!:

Thanks.

Btw, when you get it home and run the tape from tip to stern I believe you will find it to be 25ish. I'd be curious of the exact length. Martini changed hands and became Corsa at a later date. A gentleman I know ran one with dual 200 wackers and got 77mph. Sorry about the wacker stat.

You are correct. The seller had the original sales brochure that calls it a 7 meter SS. It has a 25' centerline. That same brochure says the boat has "resin dipped douglas fir stringers and bulkheads" and the glasswork is all hand laid by some of the same guys who built "Bertram, Hatteras, Donzi, and Cigarette". I found this interesting.
Martini Marine Inc.
2750 N.E. 187th Street
N. Miami Beach, Florida 33180
One block from the old Cigarette factory on 188th Street? Bill

Greg Guimond
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
The "SS" tag was always a mystery to me. It would be interesting if anyone has insights into what differences an "SS" might have afforded a new buyer back in the day. I also have a sneaking suspicion that in addition to the 7' beam, your 25' Martini may actually have a 25 degree bottom. I have always thought that boat was the perfect all around hull matched only by a Howard 25. With proper set-up and 550-600HP you will post 80mph in most all conditions with the re-assurance of ocean swell freeboard and no handling surprises. Good luck with it :cool!: and if you get a chance scan and post the brochure.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
The "SS" tag was always a mystery to me. It would be interesting if anyone has insights into what differences an "SS" might have afforded a new buyer back in the day. I also have a sneaking suspicion that in addition to the 7' beam, your 25' Martini may actually have a 25 degree bottom. I have always thought that boat was the perfect all around hull matched only by a Howard 25. With proper set-up and 550-600HP you will post 80mph in most all conditions with the re-assurance of ocean swell freeboard and no handling surprises. Good luck with it :cool!: and if you get a chance scan and post the brochure.

Martini offered the S (sport) and SS (super sport) models of the same hull. I don't know the degree of hull bottom, but it is a true deep v with no rounded keel. I will try to take the time to scan the brochure which is not in great shape. 75 - 80MPH would be awesome. Bill

scippy
02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Bill,

A little short history on the Martini.............sure looks like a sleek runner.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I don't know the degree of hull bottom, but it is a true deep v with no rounded keel.

It just dawned on me that you can see the transom in the first post of this thread.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
It was about 45 degrees last night when I made a special trip back out to my business to install a 120W floodlight for heat in the Martini after hearing about the incoming weather since it was not winterized. I was going to winterize it today, but the roads are sleet and snow covered and it is 16 degress as I write this - :eek: An ounce of .................

Conquistador_del_mar
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Although our roads are ice and snow covered, my wife went with me in her Land Cruiser (didn't trust my truck) to my shop so I could winterize the Martini this evening - our roads in north Texas are unbelievably slick. I didn't trust leaving it protected with a heat lamp. I was pleasantly surprised to find the brass block plugs came out with no problem and the water drained out with no sediment blocking the passages. My big surprise was that it has the racing engine mount that mounts between the stringers that was obviously done at the factory. :yes: Bill

smidgen too
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Although our roads are ice and snow covered, my wife went with me in her Land Cruiser (didn't trust my truck) to my shop so I could winterize the Martini this evening - our roads in north Texas are unbelievably slick. I didn't trust leaving it protected with a heat lamp. I was pleasantly surprised to find the brass block plugs came out with no problem and the water drained out with no sediment blocking the passages. My big surprise was that it has the racing engine mount that mounts between the stringers that was obviously done at the factory. :yes: Bill
Bill sounds like your Martini is a great find.... Your boat was factory built with all the good parts like race mounts. Before Jim Clem made hulls like the Aero he was able to buy blank hulls from Martini, and sold them here on Lake St Clair, but they were not set up like yours.
I saw this blue & white one here on the lake last summer and it was very nice, looks like this one was factory made also. Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Bill sounds like your Martini is a great find.... Your boat was factory built with all the good parts like race mounts. Before Jim Clem made hulls like the Aero he was able to buy blank hulls from Martini, and sold them here on Lake St Clair, but they were not set up like yours.
I saw this blue & white one here on the lake last summer and it was very nice, looks like this one was factory made also. Mark

Mark,
I saw that boat on Offshore Only - he is trying to sell it right now for only $19,500. From my limited knowledge and my brochure, it appears to be the S model. Very nice boat with lots of add ons! Here is a link. Bill

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/233707-26-martini.html

I should add that although I like the one he is selling, I paid $9000 less for mine so I am happy with what I paid. There you go - full disclosure - lol.

budandfun
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

LOL! Hope I get to see it this summer on Texoma and im happy it went to a good home. Congrats on your find.

Frank

Conquistador_del_mar
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

LOL! Hope I get to see it this summer on Texoma and im happy it went to a good home. Congrats on your find.

Frank

Frank,
My business is on Highport Road within 1 mile of Highport Marina. Highlander Storage is the name and Derebery Marine is next door. Come on by some time. Bill

Greg Guimond
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Bill, looks like the "stretch" to go get that Martini was the right thing to do. I think if you had put it off by a few days fair to say you would not have made it given the weather? Speaking of Texas weather, brings me way way back to the Cotton Bowl 1985. We were all riding the Flutie wave back then and senior year at BC meant a "must do" road trip to Dallas from Boston for the match up against Houston. After delivering a woopin to Houston and many post game cocktails 12 buddies barely awoke the next day to a Texas ice storm. Being from the north, and kids, we all piled into the rented Winnebago and started a very fuzzy push out of town. I can tell you it was as if time had stood still for Dallas, the city was literally in a state of emergency and SHUT DOWN. Needless to say with a few roadies cracked we just motored on out of town starting the long drive back to BC with more then a few snickers. That Texas ice storm story has been told more then a few times since 1985 but I digress.

OFFSHORE GINGER
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Frank,
My business is on Highport Road within 1 mile of Highport Marina. Highlander Storage is the name and Derebery Marine is next door. Come on by some time. Bill Bill , just curious and not trying to be rude ..........why do you ask the questions you do ....from members , on this forum when you supposedly have so much expert info around you ....from High point , to Derebery Marine ....and once again just curious ?

2donzi2
02-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Bill, looks like the "stretch" to go get that Martini was the right thing to do. I think if you had put it off by a few days fair to say you would not have made it given the weather? Speaking of Texas weather, brings me way way back to the Cotton Bowl 1985. We were all riding the Flutie wave back then and senior year at BC meant a "must do" road trip to Dallas from Boston for the match up against Houston. After delivering a woopin to Houston and many post game cocktails 12 buddies barely awoke the next day to a Texas ice storm. Being from the north, and kids, we all piled into the rented Winnebago and started a very fuzzy push out of town. I can tell you it was as if time had stood still for Dallas, the city was literally in a state of emergency and SHUT DOWN. Needless to say with a few roadies cracked we just motored on out of town starting the long drive back to BC with more then a few snickers. That Texas ice storm story has been told more then a few times since 1985 but I digress.

I remember that! Lived in Dallas for 35 years before moving on to Florida!

2donzi2
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Bill , just curious and not trying to be rude ..........why do you ask the questions you do ....from members , on this forum when you supposedly have so much expert info around you ....from High point , to Derebery Marine ....and once again just curious ?

Knowing where Bills shop is and being a weekend boater at Texoma for a period of time, I would have to say his neighbors aren't quite as giving of information as Bill is. Both of the mentioned shops would charge their own family for directions to the lake. Had my dealings with both. By the way, Bill does have a very nice facility. We should all have such nice kept and great location.

farmer tx
02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Knowing where Bills shop is and being a weekend boater at Texoma for a period of time, I would have to say his neighbors aren't quite as giving of information as Bill is. Both of the mentioned shops would charge their own family for directions to the lake. Had my dealings with both. By the way, Bill does have a very nice facility. We should all have such nice kept and great location.

Amen!!:yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-03-2011, 12:26 AM

No doubt that I would never have made the trip during this week so it worked out well except the storms we went through on the way back. Although the boat has both cockpit and mooring covers, I never trust them not to do damage or be ripped off so I ran it naked through the storms. Thankfully, I put all the seat bottoms up front in the cabin for the trip. I left a fan on it for 36 hours which dried the carpet and seat backs.
Yep, I remember those ice storms from the past. The one we are having right now is as bad as I have ever seen except for once in Dallas when it was covered in black ice - you could not walk or drive on it!

Bill , just curious and not trying to be rude ..........why do you ask the questions you do ....from members , on this forum when you supposedly have so much expert info around you ....from High point , to Derebery Marine ....and once again just curious ?

Highport does not really have old school guys working there anymore. I get along fine with the Derebery's, but they specialize in the new technologies. I find many guys on this site to be knowledgeable in many areas from old school to new and in many diverse aspects of boating.

Thanks so much for the compliment.

Amen!!:yes:

Mark, thank you, too. Any chance you and Polly are coming this way soon?

scippy
02-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Highlander Storage is the name and Derebery Marine is next door. Come on by some time. Bill

Bill,

Not a bad business to have since your boat inventory is growing :wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Bill,

Not a bad business to have since your boat inventory is growing :wink:

Building the boat storage business 15 years ago is one of the best things I ever did for myself. However, I do plan to sell some boats this year to both simplify my life and open up some stalls for customers. Sometimes I remind myself of the bar owner who drinks up his inventory and can't figure out why his profits aren't better - :nilly:

farmer tx
02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Bill our next trip is to Kyle TX. for our youngest daughters wedding on March 12. In June we are thinking about LOTO. Maybe we can talk you into a roadtrip with us.Doing Powell in August also.:convertib::boat:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Bill our next trip is to Kyle TX. for our youngest daughters wedding on March 12. In June we are thinking about LOTO. Maybe we can talk you into a roadtrip with us.Doing Powell in August also.:convertib::boat:

LOTO sounds fun and is a possibility for us. I'll just have to see how things are going then. Powell would be awesome.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Good luck with it :cool!: and if you get a chance scan and post the brochure.

Here are the 3 pages of the brochure which is not in great condition, but legible. I skipped the front page which shows a sunset and the name Martini Marine. Bill

1996Z15
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Is it just me or does the Martini SS resemble the Cigarette 28 SS?

Conquistador_del_mar
02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
When I was checking out a few things yesterday, I found the fuel tank under the cockpit floor and was able to read the label. It is a 68 gallon Florida Marine Tank built in 5/1979. The man I bought the boat from did not know the tank size and the brochure only gave a cruising range. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Is it just me or does the Martini SS resemble the Cigarette 28 SS?

That fiberglass ridge down the bow deck is probably one of the things that reminds you of the Cig 28SS, but the one on the Martini is about 1' wide at the fairing tapering down to the bow where the Cig is about 3" tall and fairly narrow. Bill

NJFASTECH
02-06-2011, 02:37 PM
That fiberglass ridge down the bow deck is probably one of the things that reminds you of the Cig 28SS, but the one on the Martini is about 1' wide at the fairing tapering down to the bow where the Cig is about 3" tall and fairly narrow. Bill

Very nice classic hull you found. I had a 79 martini I converted to race. My hull ran 78 GPS with a 496 HO and an XR drive. I think the dash,cabin doors and bolsters are very similar and reminded me of the 28SS. Good Luck with your latest aquisition!

HIGH LIFE
02-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Bill, Your boat looks great. May resemble a 28' Cig, biggest difference would be the beam... 7' to 8'. "HIGH LIFE"

smidgen too
02-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I always thought the Martini looked like my 29' Mirage just scaled down, the name starts with a MMMMMM. :cool:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Bill, Your boat looks great. May resemble a 28' Cig, biggest difference would be the beam... 7' to 8'. "HIGH LIFE"

Thanks. So the 28 Cig has an 8' beam?

I always thought the Martini looked like my 29' Mirage just scaled down, the name starts with a MMMMMM. :cool:

Yep, many similarities with the Mirage by those pictures.

Greg Guimond
02-08-2011, 05:16 AM
I took a closer look at those brochures. Great that you preserved those. It is interesting that Martini would have offered such dramatically different decks back in 1979. I wonder if there was a noticeable change in cabin space from the SS and the S models. One thing for sure, 25' is the perfect size. I bet if a protracter went against that V it would show a 25 degree deadrise as well. I think the only other 25 degree hulls out there were Sutphens. :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I took a closer look at those brochures. Great that you preserved those. It is interesting that Martini would have offered such dramatically different decks back in 1979. I wonder if there was a noticeable change in cabin space from the SS and the S models. One thing for sure, 25' is the perfect size. I bet if a protracter went against that V it would show a 25 degree deadrise as well. I think the only other 25 degree hulls out there were Sutphens. :yes:

Greg,
I will try to take some pictures of the cabin in mine, and I will see if I can get the deadrise measurement. I have a feeling you are correct on the deadrise just by looking at the transom, but a protractor or measurements and a little trigonometry will tell for sure. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Greg,
I will try to take some pictures of the cabin in mine, and I will see if I can get the deadrise measurement. I have a feeling you are correct on the deadrise just by looking at the transom, but a protractor or measurements and a little trigonometry will tell for sure. Bill

Yep, you were correct. I made a template of the transom at my shop this afternoon and first compared it to my Magnum. The Martini had more angle than the Magnum which should be 24 degrees. When I got home this evening a protractor puts it at exactly 25 degrees as you guessed - :yes:. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Very nice classic hull you found. I had a 79 martini I converted to race. My hull ran 78 GPS with a 496 HO and an XR drive. I think the dash,cabin doors and bolsters are very similar and reminded me of the 28SS. Good Luck with your latest aquisition!

If you ever get a chance, could you post some pictures of the Martini you converted? Did you ever have any problems with your boat - like hull, tank, stringers, etc? Right now, I am probably going to run mine just the way it is, but I am already thinking about some upgrade changes. Thanks, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-12-2011, 09:07 PM
This afternoon, I pulled the TRS drive off the Martini in preparation of installing a TRS speedmaster II drive that I had bought for the Magnum project. I will be repainting it before installing it. I hope to modify this prop that I just bought to fit on it by reducing the length of the hub a little to fit on the II shaft that is a little shorter than the IIIa and IV speedmaster shafts that the prop was designed to fit. I got the prop since the II speedmaster did not have anything but 3 blade props to fit it and they are hard to find in lower pitches. One man I talked to in Florida said it could not be done - I hope to prove that it can - :crossfing: The optimist, Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200572227839&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Greg Guimond
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
:hi5: x 2 on the optimism! I'm sure you will get that prop to work and make that 25 degree old school 25' V work doubletime. Maybe you name your boat "25 Redux"

Conquistador_del_mar
02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
:hi5: x 2 on the optimism! I'm sure you will get that prop to work and make that 25 degree old school 25' V work doubletime. Maybe you name your boat "25 Redux"

Greg,
After I got the prop, I realized that it could not be modified to work. A guy in Florida offered me the longer shaft, but $1500 is much more than I paid for the entire speedmaster drive. I might change direction and sell the prop I just bought. Later, Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=591552&postcount=14

budandfun
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Hello Bill

You going to be around the shop this Thursday? Should would love seeing the Martini...

thanks
Frank

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Hello Bill

You going to be around the shop this Thursday? Should would love seeing the Martini...

thanks
Frank

Frank,
I am there every afternoon so just come by. I have the outdrive off right now. What time are you thinking about in the afternoon? Bill

budandfun
02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Frank,
I am there every afternoon so just come by. I have the outdrive off right now. What time are you thinking about in the afternoon? Bill

How about in the morning? I just found out that i have to take my little girl to the ortho at 2... Say around 9am?

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
How about in the morning? I just found out that i have to take my little girl to the ortho at 2... Say around 9am?

Frank,
Can we make it another time then? I do other things in the mornings, but I am at my business every afternoon 7 days a week. Bill

budandfun
02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Frank,
Can we make it another time then? I do other things in the mornings, but I am at my business every afternoon 7 days a week. Bill

sounds good Bill and I will swing by on Friday afternoon...

Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
sounds good Bill and I will swing by on Friday afternoon...

Thanks

Very good. I presume you know where I am located. Bill

farmer tx
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Bill you need to add the Martini to your signature, if there is room:)

Conquistador_del_mar
02-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Bill you need to add the Martini to your signature, if there is room:)

Oops - :nilly: I hope to reduce my signature content this year. Better? Bill

Greg Guimond
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Bill, I thought you might find this CL listing of interest. If I remember correctly the Martini molds were bought by Corsa and the 26 (really 25) lived on for many more years. I did not realize they were built as late as this '93 though. I'm sure someone has a bit better detail but might be worth a phone call or email to the current owner for set-up info.

CORSA SS 26ft OFFSHORE

Date: 2011-02-22, 12:59PM EST

1993 26ft with 490hp fuel injected 8.1L. 5" Lighting headers with 5" ss tips, Fresh drive and transom assembly, Imco drive shower, Lab finished prop, Dual ram external hydraulic steering with tilt wheel, one full cover and one cockpit cover, removable cockpit carpet, Satellite radio, full aluminum trailer with new tires and new brake system, Drop down bolsters etc. Too much to list over 35k invested 19,000 or best offer. 502-262-seven seven eight 2

Conquistador_del_mar
02-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Bill, I thought you might find this CL listing of interest. If I remember correctly the Martini molds were bought by Corsa and the 26 (really 25) lived on for many more years. I did not realize they were built as late as this '93 though. I'm sure someone has a bit better detail but might be worth a phone call or email to the current owner for set-up info.

CORSA SS 26ft OFFSHORE

1993 26ft with 490hp fuel injected 8.1L. 5" Lighting headers with 5" ss tips, Fresh drive and transom assembly, Imco drive shower, Lab finished prop, Dual ram external hydraulic steering with tilt wheel, one full cover and one cockpit cover, removable cockpit carpet, Satellite radio, full aluminum trailer with new tires and new brake system, Drop down bolsters etc. Too much to list over 35k invested 19,000 or best offer. 502-262-seven seven eight 2

Thanks, Greg
Here is a link for anyone else: http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/2228433306.html
It sure looks like a lot of hardware for the money. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Since the TRS drive was a little rough, I had a few places welded and then I filled the problem areas followed by a coat of primer. With any luck, I will sand it down and have it painted with black Imron tomorrow. This will probably be my backup drive, but I wanted to get it in nice condition. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I got the drive painted with Imron and the prop mounted. I think I mentioned that it was a 22P Hydromotive, but it is a 22P Bravo One 4 blade with the high performance torque hub assembly. I also got the trim cylinders painted. The speedometer pickup is an older Kysor-Medallion that I mounted in place of the cheap white one. It holds down in place with pressure from the pickup tube (a very cool design that I also use one on my Eliminator - the faster you go, the more pressure it develops to stay down in case of hitting something, but it will kick up). I will try out the boat with this outdrive before trying the speedmaster. Bill

MDonziM
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Bill,

Drive looks like it came out nice!

- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Bill,

Drive looks like it came out nice!

- Marshall

Thanks, Marshall. I probably only spent about 8 hours on the refurbishing, but it looks pretty good now compared to when I got the boat.
Yesterday afternoon, my wife and her 5 year old granddaughter came out to my business and I had them get in the boat. They really liked the forward cabin with the stereo, lights, porta potty, fan, refrigerator, and hatches. It quickly became little Eva's private fort - lol. We had to make her get out after about 30 minutes.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM

CORSA SS 26ft OFFSHORE

Looks like this one sold quickly - no longer listed. I passed it along to a friend of mine who is looking, but I think he would have told me if he had bought it. It sounded like a lot of boat for the money.

MDonziM
03-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Funny, before I bought the magnum I asked my mechanic about a corsa in the boatyard next to his shop. Was sitting around for at least 2yrs. Fast setup, 632"bb all top shelf parts imco extream drive, stelling headers, hyd steering etc. Supposed to be a 90+mph boat. So yesterday I'm at the mechanics and he says a guy that works with him who I know just bought a boat.... got an unreal deal..... oh yea, you know the boat, the 26 corsa. Ugh, timing is everything! I'm afraid to guess but I think he bought it for the yard bill, probably like 5k!!! Its a pretty smokin setup, I'll post a picture when I see it. (once I overcome my bitterness)

-Marshall

Greg Guimond
03-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Bill, The Corsa name is a bit better known so people tend to jump on them. That said, folks don't always understand CL and sometimes the ad just expires.

Marshall, if that price was even close to what the guy paid that's incredible stuff.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Funny, before I bought the magnum I asked my mechanic about a corsa in the boatyard next to his shop. Was sitting around for at least 2yrs. Fast setup, 632"bb all top shelf parts imco extream drive, stelling headers, hyd steering etc. Supposed to be a 90+mph boat. So yesterday I'm at the mechanics and he says a guy that works with him who I know just bought a boat.... got an unreal deal..... oh yea, you know the boat, the 26 corsa. Ugh, timing is everything! I'm afraid to guess but I think he bought it for the yard bill, probably like 5k!!! Its a pretty smokin setup, I'll post a picture when I see it. (once I overcome my bitterness)

-Marshall

Marshall,
I wish I could run across deals like the one you described. Any chance you got more details on the boat? Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Since I discovered the tailstock bearing needed replacement when I pulled the outdrive to paint it and lubricate the u joints, it has taken a while to locate the correct bearing that I talked about in the performance section under TRS tailstock bearing. Just last night, I installed the new bearing behind the retaining plate. With any kind of luck, I should have the engine back into position, the freshly painted outdrive installed, and fire up the engine on the hose over the weekend to make sure everything is correct. I plan to take it out for a cruise with my wife this next week - :yes: Bill

MDonziM
03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Marshall,
I wish I could run across deals like the one you described. Any chance you got more details on the boat? Bill

The guy who bought it helps out the mechanic I use so I will certainly get details and a pic at some point. Its supposed to be a 90mph boat.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Just this afternoon, I was finally able to get the TRS drive mounted back on the Martini. A back/hip pain slowed down my mojo - lol. The freshly painted drive sure makes the rest of the transom assembly look aged. I decided to fill an old thru hull water pickup hole and about 20 other small gelcoat flaws, get a new mirror installed on the fridge door, install a new LED dome light in the cabin, and some other small issues before taking it out. Getting the TRS drive shaft to slip into the new tailstock bearing and on the transmission splines took quite a bit of persuation, but it is done. :yes: I will show some pictures when I get a chance. Close to cruise time, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I will be testing the Martini with the original 330HP engine package by next week, but I will be installing a 496HO which I agreed to buy this afternoon for comparison later this year. :crossfing: If I only get 65MPH with the 496, I will be happy - any better speed will be gravy - :yes:. Bill

Ghost
04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Congrats on the new motor. Eager to hear numbers on how the current 330 does, and then what the 496 will do. You bringing her to AOTH by any chance?

Greg Guimond
04-20-2011, 07:48 PM
That will be a cool comparo Bill. I may have missed this but what do you suspect the Martini will weigh in at fully rigged? I was never really aware if there were a few different layups done over the years.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Congrats on the new motor. Eager to hear numbers on how the current 330 does, and then what the 496 will do. You bringing her to AOTH by any chance?

I just hope I didn't do something stupid trying to convert to the 496, but it comes with everything including the exhaust. I like the idea of fuel injection, serpentine belt driven accessories, and closed cooling, and it looks like new with low hours (110). My first measurements make it look like it will work. Yes, I will post the speeds and hopefully a video. Thanks.

PS Probably not making it to AOTH this year.

That will be a cool comparo Bill. I may have missed this but what do you suspect the Martini will weigh in at fully rigged? I was never really aware if there were a few different layups done over the years.

It is supposed to weigh about 3800lbs, so I guess right at 4000lbs loaded. The hull bottom is about 1/2" thick near the engine where I filled an old water intake hole. I will only be gaining about 100HP, but the reliablility and quick start will be worth the expense and effort - maybe not? - lol. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
04-22-2011, 11:26 PM
The 496HO deal went through this afternoon. How cool is it that all the hour information stays in the computer! The amount of time in RPM increments is all there. Only 96 seconds at the 5000RPM rev limit. 76+ hours of the 214 total (I kept hearing different hours until the computer figures were run) were at idle speeds with all the other information also - which I don't remember offhand, but no red flags. One of my old customers/friends dropped by this afternoon who really wanted to buy the Martini after seeing it. I had to tell him that it is not for sale, but I want to try to find him something else. When he mentioned also wanting a classic wooden boat, I am sending him the link to the Century Coronado on ebay that I posted on the site. I hope he buys it so I can see it and possibly take a ride - :yes:.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-23-2011, 12:27 PM

I just reread this post. If I do install the 496HO, I would probably get a little less speed with the TRS, but it would probably be almost a 20MPH improvement over the 55MPH that it is supposed to run right now with the 330HP engine.

MDonziM
05-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Bill,

Saw that Corsa today. Pretty wild setup. 910hp 632ci motor (Brodix heads, Jesel belt drive, huge carb maby 1100cfm etc.) I think the compression is over 11:1. Didn't get any pics but will remember my camera next time.

Just curious, what size gas tank does your Martini have?

- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
05-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Bill,

Saw that Corsa today. Pretty wild setup. 910hp 632ci motor (Brodix heads, Jesel belt drive, huge carb maby 1100cfm etc.) I think the compression is over 11:1. Didn't get any pics but will remember my camera next time.

Just curious, what size gas tank does your Martini have?

- Marshall

Wow! 910HP is 120HP more than the 632 I bought from Derebery (also Brodix, Merlin, and Holley Dominator) so I am guessing it must have more compression. If my memory is correct, mine is 9.8:1 compression. The Corsa sounds like a real beast. Pictures would be cool.
My tank is a 68 gallon factory installed tank which is more than I will ever need with my normal boating days. I might burn 30 gallons on a long day of running - not like the old days when I had to refill when running all day long - :wink: Bill

MDonziM
05-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Wow! 910HP is 120HP more than the 632 I bought from Derebery (also Brodix, Merlin, and Holley Dominator) so I am guessing it must have more compression. If my memory is correct, mine is 9.8:1 compression. The Corsa sounds like a real beast. Pictures would be cool.
My tank is a 68 gallon factory installed tank which is more than I will ever need with my normal boating days. I might burn 30 gallons on a long day of running - not like the old days when I had to refill when running all day long - :wink: Bill

It may have been setup to race or something, its' pretty radical, I can't wait to hear it. I was wondering if the tank capacity is the same as your Martini because that motor will suck down 68 gal pretty fast.

I should get some pics later this week.

- Marshall

MDonziM
05-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Only got 2 spy photos maby more to follow but we had to get the mag back inside after the first startup today and the skys were theatening.

Its a beast.

- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
05-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Only got 2 spy photos maby more to follow but we had to get the mag back inside after the first startup today and the skys were theatening.

Its a beast.

- Marshall

It looks like there is an exhaust problem or something else with the exhaust removed and the plugs out - :nilly: Nice looking rig ,though - :yes: Bill

MDonziM
05-19-2011, 10:58 PM
It looks like there is an exhaust problem or something else with the exhaust removed and the plugs out - :nilly: Nice looking rig ,though - :yes: Bill

He took the headers off to get them pressure tested.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
If everything works out right, my wife and I are going to take the Martini out for the first time this afternoon. I will give a report and hopefully take a video - :yes: I plan to cruise for at least 40 miles with the engine hatch off so I can make sure everything is fine on our maiden voyage . Later, Bill

Ghost
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Good luck, have fun. Very interested in the results...

Greg Guimond
06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Really looking forward to see how you do on the maiden voyage. Good Luck!

MDonziM
06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Bill,

I hope all went well and you had a good run.

- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
The maiden voyage could not have gone better!! She fired right up and everything worked perfectly. The Corsa quiet tips really are quiet with not much noise at any speed. We ended up cruising about 80 miles in some white caps with some good wind, but it cut through everything like butter in the 3 hours we were out. We cruised mostly at about 37MPH, but 45MPH felt a little better cutting the waves. I overpropped it a little with the 22P Bravo - 58MPH at 4300RPM, but it got right up on plane and cruised like a champ. The trim tabs came in handy adjusting for the wind and waves. I trimmed the drive up a little for speed, and it felt solid in terms of the steering. I ran it wide open a few times after we had cruised for an hour or so making sure everything was right. Overall, we could not have had a better maiden voyage - great boat! :yes: We took a couple videos which I will try to load later. Bill

Greg Guimond
06-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Amazing how "current" a 1979 Martini can look with good colors. Great to hear run # 1 was all good Bill, you have a special piece of history there.

Ghost
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Nice! Congrats.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Bill,

I hope all went well and you had a good run.

- Marshall

Amazing how "current" a 1979 Martini can look with good colors. Great to hear run # 1 was all good Bill, you have a special piece of history there.

Nice! Congrats.

Thank you guys - :yes:.
As we were cutting through some of the rougher part of the lake, I was thinking how great it was to be out in a 32 year old boat that both looks good and handles so well. It sure seemed to handle the rougher stuff considerably better than the 24' Excaliburs that I had in the past - maybe my memory playing tricks, but I really think it rides noticeably better. I can only imagine how the 27' Magnum would ride if I had finished the restoration - :nilly:

MDonziM
06-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Bill,

Glad to hear the 1st time out went well. Just got back from day 1 with the mag too, good stuff.

- Marshall

djmikeyc
06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Great to hear your first outing went so well! I almost purchased this boat last year but lost the gentlemans phone number... but the one I looked at had the Martini logo on the side, same colors though and was also in TX. So glad it went to someone willing to take care of it.

Question... as I might be picking one up I would like to know if you can take a good picture of the martini logo on the trailer as I would need to make up some logo stickers for the side of the boat.

If anyone knows how big they should be it would be great also.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Great to hear your first outing went so well! I almost purchased this boat last year but lost the gentlemans phone number... but the one I looked at had the Martini logo on the side, same colors though and was also in TX. So glad it went to someone willing to take care of it.

Question... as I might be picking one up I would like to know if you can take a good picture of the martini logo on the trailer as I would need to make up some logo stickers for the side of the boat.

If anyone knows how big they should be it would be great also.

Wow! You are the second man who was going to buy it. I went back out to my shop to finish a project so I took the picture and measurements. I can barely see the outline of the original decals on the sides of the hull. They were rectangular decals (not parallelograms like the trailer decals) that measures 27" x 6" high. Please show the Martini that you end up buying. Bill

djmikeyc
06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Bill,

The Martini I was planning on purchasing is the bue and white "Martini S" from Lake St Clair, MI, someone posted pics of it on page 2 of this thread... But unfortunately for me being in upstate NY I am 10 hour drive from the boat and cannot get there until next week. He has someone coming to look at that boat tomorrow (thursday) and at $12,500 I feel the first person that goes to see it will be buying it so I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the pic of the logo... I will try to remake the graphic anyway, if you want I can send you a copy of it when I am done with it. The only thing is most martini's I have seen have a martini glass next to the logo and there is not one on the trailer logo. I'll have to try to find a picture of one with the martini glass too.

Michael

Conquistador_del_mar
06-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Bill,

The Martini I was planning on purchasing is the bue and white "Martini S" from Lake St Clair, MI, someone posted pics of it on page 2 of this thread... But unfortunately for me being in upstate NY I am 10 hour drive from the boat and cannot get there until next week. He has someone coming to look at that boat tomorrow (thursday) and at $12,500 I feel the first person that goes to see it will be buying it so I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the pic of the logo... I will try to remake the graphic anyway, if you want I can send you a copy of it when I am done with it. The only thing is most martini's I have seen have a martini glass next to the logo and there is not one on the trailer logo. I'll have to try to find a picture of one with the martini glass too.

Michael

Good luck on the possible purchase.
Yes, a copy would be nice to have. I settled on the Martini font that I picked at my decal maker's shop. I have a feeling that the slanting Martini glass was a separate decal from the main Martini decal. Thanks, Bill

djmikeyc
06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Bill - At the price the guy is asking I consider the other Martini sold. I immediately called on an SS in FL ($5500, needed engine work)... that one was just sold also. Looks as if my Martini Glass is getting empty... LOL!!!

Ok, I was working on remaking the Martini logo last night, I even came up with my own Martini Glass and am adding it to the design. I also noticed alot of people like to make logo's that mimic the cigarette racing team oval... so I am working on what I think a martini version of this should look like. I'll keep you posted.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Bill,

The Martini I was planning on purchasing is the bue and white "Martini S" from Lake St Clair, MI, someone posted pics of it on page 2 of this thread... But unfortunately for me being in upstate NY I am 10 hour drive from the boat and cannot get there until next week. He has someone coming to look at that boat tomorrow (thursday) and at $12,500 I feel the first person that goes to see it will be buying it so I'm not holding my breath. Michael

Michael,
Did the seller of the blue and white Martini drop his asking price by $7000? If so, I have to wonder why he would drop it so much. That is a really nice boat by the pictures and video. Bill

djmikeyc
06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Bill - Yes the price on the blue and white Martini has been dropping. Last summer it went up for sale at $19,500 then this spring he dropped the price to $15,000... stating he really needed to sell it. The very end of May he lowered the price to $12,500... he said if it doesn't sell at that price we would consider parting it out. At that price I was interested as the boat appears to be in great shape and has lots of nice extras like the external steering and the k-planes. My biggest problem was getting there this time of the year as I work 7 days a week in the summer at a seasonal resort property. And this week is Bike Week... we have all the bikers so there is no way I could get away.

If you ever consider selling yours please keep me in mind as I have been looking for an unmolested original Martini for a few years. I live on a 32 mile long lake in upstate NY and a Martini is my dream boat to have on this lake.

Michael

Conquistador_del_mar
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Bill - Yes the price on the blue and white Martini has been dropping. Last summer it went up for sale at $19,500 then this spring he dropped the price to $15,000... stating he really needed to sell it. The very end of May he lowered the price to $12,500... he said if it doesn't sell at that price we would consider parting it out. At that price I was interested as the boat appears to be in great shape and has lots of nice extras like the external steering and the k-planes. My biggest problem was getting there this time of the year as I work 7 days a week in the summer at a seasonal resort property. And this week is Bike Week... we have all the bikers so there is no way I could get away.

If you ever consider selling yours please keep me in mind as I have been looking for an unmolested original Martini for a few years. I live on a 32 mile long lake in upstate NY and a Martini is my dream boat to have on this lake.

Michael

Michael,
I would have been a buyer at $12,500 if I didn't have mine. That is a lot of boat for so little $. Maybe you will get lucky - :yes: I will keep you in mind, but I don't see me selling mine anytime soon. I guess you have also looked at Corsas (same hulls). By the way, I just noticed that the Martini has a hook in the last 1' of the lifting strakes - something I did not notice until a couple days ago. It rides like a dream, though. Bill

djmikeyc
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Yes I have also looked at Corsa's. There was one last year about 2 hours from me but it had twin outboards and I really wanted an I/O boat.

Here's a small low res graphic on what I am working on, its not done yet as I am remaking the Martini font as I have none that are exactly the same...

http://www.djmikeyc.com/media/martini/martini_7_meter_side_logo_web.jpg

I came up with the martini glass myself and positioned it where it looks right to me. I thought about 2 olives but I think it looks good with one. I know originally the martini glass was further away from the Martini logo but I think it looks good like this. If you wanted I could send a graphic of just the glass and you can have it cut out on its own and place it wherever you wanted.

Ghost
06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Sharp! I like it!

Conquistador_del_mar
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes I have also looked at Corsa's. There was one last year about 2 hours from me but it had twin outboards and I really wanted an I/O boat.

Here's a small low res graphic on what I am working on, its not done yet as I am remaking the Martini font as I have none that are exactly the same...

http://www.djmikeyc.com/media/martini/martini_7_meter_side_logo_web.jpg

I came up with the martini glass myself and positioned it where it looks right to me. I thought about 2 olives but I think it looks good with one. I know originally the martini glass was further away from the Martini logo but I think it looks good like this. If you wanted I could send a graphic of just the glass and you can have it cut out on its own and place it wherever you wanted.

Michael,
The logo you designed looks great. If you zoom in on the Martini S picture from the brochure in the post I made, you can see the colors and the martini glass. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=590207&postcount=44

Greg Guimond
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Bill, it looks like you stumbled upon an interesting twist with that hook. Are you saying that the hook is ONLY in the strakes themselves or the entire bottom? I had no doubt you would be surprised at how well that 25 degree hull rides, it won a lot of races back in the day and is a nice, tight package that can go up or down in water conditions.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Bill, it looks like you stumbled upon an interesting twist with that hook. Are you saying that the hook is ONLY in the strakes themselves or the entire bottom? I had no doubt you would be surprised at how well that 25 degree hull rides, it won a lot of races back in the day and is a nice, tight package that can go up or down in water conditions.

The bottom is straight from the keel to the strakes. The strakes have about a 3/8" drop from about 14" forward of the transom and the drop appears to flare out from the strakes to about midway to the chines where is flattens back out to straight again but the drop outside of the strakes is less than at the strakes. Do you have a guess as to why they added the slight hook? I can't imagine that they were added later so I am almost sure the factory built them into the hull.

Greg Guimond
06-11-2011, 09:44 AM
That strake hook is a mystery. I guess the only way to cross check it would be to get another owner to check another hull. I will poke around a bit.

smidgen too
06-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Michael
I have looked at this blue Martini a few times. At one time it belonged to Doc Reilly here in Michigan. Doc was the same guy who had the Magnum with the V 12 Allision engine in front of the cockpit, :nilly:he had a real need for speed. :yes: I had thought about this one to replace my Mirage that I just sold. But I bought the Magnum sport that was on ebay, now I have a pair of 1973 red & white Mag's :bonk:

djmikeyc
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I have looked at this blue Martini a few times. At one time it belonged to Doc Reilly here in Michigan. Doc was the same guy who had the Magnum with the V 12 Allision engine in front of the cockpit, :nilly:he had a real need for speed. :yes: I had thought about this one to replace my Mirage that I just sold. But I bought the Magnum sport that was on ebay, now I have a pair of 1973 red & white Mag's :bonk:

Have you seen this Martini in person? If so whats your impressions on condition?

smidgen too
06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Have you seen this Martini in person? If so whats your impressions on condition?
Yes I have looked it over. This one dose not seem as nice as Bills Martini. The deck needs a repaint as the paint is lifting by the vents & rubrail. The engine needs a new exhaust as it has a Jomar welded aluminum exhaust system that has some leaks that realy cant be fixed. The blower on the engine has some noise like a rattle, may be backlash ??? One trim tab pump dose not work, but could be a easy fix. The wiring under the dash could use a good clean up. The hull is in good shape but I noticed that there is a pad on the last 5 feet of the bottom. Was this pad a factory deal????? I did like the interior, looks new. And she dose not have a cockpit cover. The trailer would need some work if taking it any distance as the brakes do not work and the tires are old. I still do like this boat, but the price would have to be right

Conquistador_del_mar
06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Mark,
Out of curiosity, how would you compare the ride of your old 29' Mirage to the 27' Magnums? By the way, I would bet the 5' pad was done to the blue and white Martini after it left the factory. Bill

Greg Guimond
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
The factory did not produce any pad's.

smidgen too
06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Mark,
Out of curiosity, how would you compare the ride of your old 29' Mirage to the 27' Magnums? By the way, I would bet the 5' pad was done to the blue and white Martini after it left the factory. Bill
Bill they ride about the same but you have more hull around you with the Mirage making you feel safer. And the Mirage has a cockpit liner were the Mag dose not. The liner makes it feel different. When Magnuum racer Wally Harper sold his Mag for a Mirage he could never get use to it and quickly sold the Mirage. We heard was that Doc Reilly had the pad put on the his hull for more speed????????? Mark

Greg Guimond
06-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Bill here is the feedback from another Martini owner on the strakes .........

yes, it is in my shop now, been tidying it up a bit today, looks like the whole bottom has a slight hook but i could be wrong, there is nothing that stands out about the strakes.

djmikeyc
06-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes I have looked it over. This one dose not seem as nice as Bills Martini. The deck needs a repaint as the paint is lifting by the vents & rubrail. The engine needs a new exhaust as it has a Jomar welded aluminum exhaust system that has some leaks that really cant be fixed. The blower on the engine has some noise like a rattle, may be backlash ??? One trim tab pump dose not work, but could be a easy fix. The wiring under the dash could use a good clean up. The hull is in good shape but I noticed that there is a pad on the last 5 feet of the bottom. Was this pad a factory deal????? I did like the interior, looks new. And she dose not have a cockpit cover. The trailer would need some work if taking it any distance as the brakes do not work and the tires are old. I still do like this boat, but the price would have to be right

The exhaust and trim pump absolutely add to the total overall price of the boat. The blower seals could need to be replaced making some noise. I have more concerns with the modifications to the hull... meaning the added pad. If you flatten out the V bottom of a hull to make a pad, don't you thin out the bottom making it weaker? Unless that is fiberglass was added? Trailer is also a concern since I would have to trailer it over 10 hours.

Any thoughts on how the pad was added to the boat?

Conquistador_del_mar
06-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Bill here is the feedback from another Martini owner on the strakes .........

yes, it is in my shop now, been tidying it up a bit today, looks like the whole bottom has a slight hook but i could be wrong, there is nothing that stands out about the strakes.

Greg,
Just yesterday right before I left the shop, I got back under the Martini with a straight edge. The bunks are in the way of checking out some of the bottom, but I did come to the conclusion that there is a very slight hook in the entire bottom for the last 12" or so, except the chines which are straight. I used a 4' piece of aluminum angle and a flashlight to see how much lighted area showed up under the aluminum. The strakes had the most at about 1/8"-3/16" and the rest of the bottom only barely showed the existence of a hook. There is not as much of a hook as I first thought when I looked at it the other day and first noticed it. When I held the straight edge forward of the suspected hook, it is straight so there is definitely a slight hook built into the last 12" or so. Thanks for checking with someone else on another Martini for corroboration. Bill

smidgen too
06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
The exhaust and trim pump absolutely add to the total overall price of the boat. The blower seals could need to be replaced making some noise. I have more concerns with the modifications to the hull... meaning the added pad. If you flatten out the V bottom of a hull to make a pad, don't you thin out the bottom making it weaker? Unless that is fiberglass was added? Trailer is also a concern since I would have to trailer it over 10 hours.

Any thoughts on how the pad was added to the boat?
Well,, if the pad was added by Doc Reilly my question is did they raise the Trs drive ??? If not the drive would be lower in the water now... The pad looked like it was done right, but I did not look under the engine bay.

djmikeyc
06-14-2011, 05:36 PM
The owner of the blue and white Martini has let me know its still for sale, someone went to look at it but passed on it. I asked him about the issues you mentioned and he stated it needed those things. Funny how at first contact he stated it needed nothing. I told him that I have decided against purchasing his boat. It would be a 10 plus hour drive for me just to go see it and I don't feel right about it so I passed on it.

I think I want an SS model anyway as I like the windshield better and I like the easier access into the cabin on the SS. It looks as it has a taller door and has the flip up top for easier access... no crawling into the cabin... LOL!!

So if anyone comes across one please let me know.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
We took out the Martini for another long cruise this afternoon. This time we covered about 100 miles without any problems - :yes:. I tried out a 21P cleaver, but I did not like the handling characteristics so I will go back to the Bravo prop. As an unbelievable bonus, I found a perfect Plainview arrowhead on an island we stopped at for a swim. Plainviews date to 9500 - 11,200 years old. The one I found is worth around $500 and is the best arrowhead I have ever found so far - a great day! Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Here is the late paleo Plainview point I found on Thursday afternoon. A rare find!! Bill

zelatore
07-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Well done on the arrowhead find. Not many guys spend a day boating and come back with MORE money in their pocket than when they left!

Conquistador_del_mar
07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Well done on the arrowhead find. Not many guys spend a day boating and come back with MORE money in their pocket than when they left!

So true. In my case, the Plainview will not be sold for money since collecting arrowheads is a passion with me. I was absolutely blown away when I saw this one fully exposed 6" under water. I was hopeful that it might have been a Clovis (the oldest style in North America), but I was pleased with seeing that it was a Plainview (no fluting) after picking it up. My wife and I had found a few arrowheads on the same island earlier this year, but this one was apparently needing a little more erosion to be uncovered.

Greg Guimond
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Corsa, this is a Martini post. Please delete your posts and move them to a new thread. Thank you

Conquistador_del_mar
07-23-2011, 01:58 AM
I tried out a Revolution 4 RH 21P prop this past Tuesday, and it performed fabulously - :yes:. The boat was stable with no steering quirks, the RPMs gained a little to about 4500RPMs, and the top end was a little higher reading 60MPH from the 58MPH it read with the Bravo 1. This will be the prop that stays on the Martini unless I change out the engine. Bill

Greg Guimond
07-24-2011, 10:04 AM
That is interesting on the Rev 4 Bill, do you happen to know what diameter that prop is? If the scale were 1-10 how would you rank the Bravo and the Rev 4 on that scale overall?

Conquistador_del_mar
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
That is interesting on the Rev 4 Bill, do you happen to know what diameter that prop is? If the scale were 1-10 how would you rank the Bravo and the Rev 4 on that scale overall?

Greg,
I believe the Rev 4 is 14.625" compared to 15.25" on the Bravo 1 prop. Although I was overall pleased with the Bravo 1, the Rev 4 seemed a little more stable and held the boat in a nice stance from cruise to top end. At my 3000RPM cruise, it was reading 36/38MPH - no GPS. I am almost certain that many Donzi owners would really like the Rev 4 prop. Blackhawk on this forum reported that after trying about a dozen props on his Pantera, it was also his favorite prop. Bill

Greg Guimond
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks Bill for the feedback. I may give it a try on my Warlock 23 Offshore. Has a 24 degree V and so far the Hydromotive QIV has offered the best overall performance and handling.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Bill for the feedback. I may give it a try on my Warlock 23 Offshore. Has a 24 degree V and so far the Hydromotive QIV has offered the best overall performance and handling.

Greg,
I have had great luck with the Quad IVs, too. I have a set of 24s on the 36' Cigarette and a 29" LH on my 23' Eliminator Daytona. I would have tried a Quad IV on the Martini until I read a few testamonials on various boating forums stating how well the Rev 4 performed on deep V hulls. If you get a chance to try one, it might surprise you :wink:. Bill

Greg Guimond
08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Greg,
I have had great luck with the Quad IVs, too. I have a set of 24s on the 36' Cigarette and a 29" LH on my 23' Eliminator Daytona. I would have tried a Quad IV on the Martini until I read a few testamonials on various boating forums stating how well the Rev 4 performed on deep V hulls. If you get a chance to try one, it might surprise you :wink:. Bill

Bill, in your opinion is the Rev4 about equal in RPM to a Bravo of the same pitch?

Conquistador_del_mar
08-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Bill, in your opinion is the Rev4 about equal in RPM to a Bravo of the same pitch?

Yes. Keep in mind that the Rev 4 is a slightly smaller diameter prop so you might gain 100RPM with it. Bill

NJFASTECH
08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
If you ever get a chance, could you post some pictures of the Martini you converted? Did you ever have any problems with your boat - like hull, tank, stringers, etc? Right now, I am probably going to run mine just the way it is, but I am already thinking about some upgrade changes. Thanks, Bill

Wow just reading through alot of good info. My aquisition was no where close to your Boat. My martini was redone form stringers to power found
sitting in a field in Mass. un covered for who knows how long. I have a bunch of pics of the build. I do miss it from time to time.
Jim

djmikeyc
09-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I came across a '84 Corsa 26 for sale... has BBC with Volvo drive... anyone have experience with these drives?

Anyone know if they make an adaptor plate from volvo to merc for Bravo? I really don't want to get into a new transom if it is not needed.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I came across a '84 Corsa 26 for sale... has BBC with Volvo drive... anyone have experience with these drives?

Anyone know if they make an adaptor plate from volvo to merc for Bravo? I really don't want to get into a new transom if it is not needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, that boat has been for sale for a while now. That trimmable Volvo drive should not be a problem for you. I think I remember someone making a Volvo to Bravo adaptor, but it escapes me now. Good luck if you end up buying the Corsa - :yes:. Bill

djmikeyc
09-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Boat had a 300 hp small block chevy... now running a rebuilt 427 chevy est. 425 - 450 hp... is that much power still ok with this volvo drive?

Conquistador_del_mar
09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, it should hold together fine, but that is pushing the envelope. That sounds like a great boat from my memory. Bill

Greg Guimond
09-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Bill you have had experience with a lot of different hulls. Now that you have some seat time with the Martini 25 I'm curious how you rank it? I'm always interested in true wetted running surface and strake design versus overall length which I have never put a lot of emphasis on. Wondering if you have had the Martini out in anything really snotty yet. Thanks

Conquistador_del_mar
09-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Greg,
I have not been out in anything more than whitecaps with some errant cruiser wakes, but so far I can say it handles the chop much better any other boat I have driven in the relative size range including 24' Excaliburs. I will be taking some GoPro videos soon and will post some running videos - hopefully in some rough water. Bill

MDonziM
11-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Bill,

Hope you are doing well. There are a few pics of that 26Corsa that I mentioned before on OSO "post your old school ride pics" post #1383 by Erik. ( Under the classic offshore forum)

- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
11-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Marshall,
His Corsa has the kind of power I was going to put in the Magnum 27 sport that I decided to let go. I don't guess you ever heard what he had to pay for the boat? Nice looking engine and interior. Here is the link: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/3557457-post1383.html Bill

MDonziM
11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey Bill - No I din't ask him again how much he paid for it but I'm guessing between 5-10k. He does interior and canvas work so maby hell tell me after he makes a full mooring cover for my mag this winter. I dont know any speed #'s on the boat either but my mechanic who knows the boat said it was easily 95-100mph. I think he is going to de-tune it a little, it has like 11:1 comp now.
- Marshall

Conquistador_del_mar
11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Ouch! Racing fuel if it has 11:1 compression or at least a mix. Bill

Bailz09
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Why cant i see any of
The pictures. New here