PDA

View Full Version : Cut Water Boats

zelatore
01-28-2011, 10:17 PM
http://www.cutwaterboats.com/

Saw these on display at the Seattle show. 26 and 28' cruising boats. The thing that really caught my eye though is the hull design- it's got a step, along with a full skeg/keel and a 180 hp diesel. Very strange! It's got to be the slowest stepped hull ever!

The boats are built by the Ranger Tug people and clearly have a lot of their details. I did find them a little schizophrenic in personality though. For example, in the head you find an ultra-modern blue glass vessel sink along with ultra-traditional louvered teak doors. Go figure. There were some obvious rough edges from cost cutting, but they had some interesting features as well. Could be worth checking out if you were looking for a small cruising boat, but mostly I want to drive one to see how that hull performs.

Who knows, maybe they're onto something.

scippy
01-29-2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.cutwaterboats.com/

Saw these on display at the Seattle show. 26 and 28' cruising boats. The thing that really caught my eye though is the hull design- it's got a step, along with a full skeg/keel and a 180 hp diesel. Very strange! It's got to be the slowest stepped hull ever!

The boats are built by the Ranger Tug people and clearly have a lot of their details. I did find them a little schizophrenic in personality though. For example, in the head you find an ultra-modern blue glass vessel sink along with ultra-traditional louvered teak doors. Go figure. There were some obvious rough edges from cost cutting, but they had some interesting features as well. Could be worth checking out if you were looking for a small cruising boat, but mostly I want to drive one to see how that hull performs.

Who knows, maybe they're onto something.

Interestingly, this boat has combined some past hull designs of "the sea bright skiff" or "the jersey skiff" of the 1920's or so. All though, the skiff had a wider boxed garboard (or skeg) the lenght of it's keel, you can still see the advantage it would have in rough seas just having that shape for directional stability. Also, having a deeper placed engine eliminates the shaft angle to the prop. probably a better CG and also freeing up some cabin space. With it's planing Vee hull, looks like the best of both worlds.