PDA

View Full Version : New ls3 project for 22 classic

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Currently I have a blackhawk drive being rebuilt to put on the 22.
Also got the fuel injected version in. Its 480hp. I have already put on the nig mouth 92mm throttle body on it. By the time we add the FAST technologies
fuel system/ignition and CMI headers, it should be around 520 hp with a redline of about 7000 RPMs. These engines are all aluminum and weight approximately half of what a big block weighs. I also believe that they are 40lbs less than a standard old school small block. Here are some preliminary photos. The Last photo is a mockup of the 626hp version of the one we built last year.

BUIZILLA
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
exhaust choice pic's?

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Jim.

My rep at CMI provided some large tube headers last year for our carbed monster motor. We then swapped to CMI small tube headers and on the Dyno run our torque numbers went up. Will be using the CMI small tube LS headers for this set up.
We also have a closed cooling system that we designed for the system.
The FAST system has 20 baseline programs. Using the programmer that is provided with the package, we can also make our own.

BUIZILLA
01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
what is the exhaust center measurements of the outlets vs the BB outer centers?

IOW, it is a direct replacement for a BB or SB application, without changing the transom outlets?

blackboat
01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Blackhawk drive with an all aluminum motor. Should fly.
Thats a nice setup !!! :yes:

Fishermanjm
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Hemi heads???

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Here is the GM write up on the engine

The hot new small block V8 in the GM lineup is the hyper-aggressive LS3. It offers a high-revving 376-inch combination that represents generations of small block V8 development and engineering. Not only is the LS3 an amazing engine in its stock configuration, but with those high-flowing rectangular port cylinder heads, the LS3 is loaded with potential. To tap into this potential, the engineers at GM Performance Parts offer you the LS 376/480 - an LS3 with an upgraded camshaft that ups power by a whopping 50 horsepower!

The LS 376/480 comes with the same great features as the LS3 crate engine. The bottom end includes a 6-bolt aluminum block, nodular crank, high performance rods, and 10.7:1 pistons. The heads are high-flowing rectangular-port units that share their design with the amazing LS7. The same EFI intake manifold feeds the hungry engine, while 1.7:1 roller rockers work with the upgraded camshaft.

The GM Performance Parts engineers picked the LS Hot Cam (p/n 12617570) to take the LS3 to the next level. This cam specs out with .525-inch intake and exhaust valve lift. Duration (@ .050 inches) is 219 degrees intake and 228 degrees exhaust. This cam allows for a dramatic increase in power across the power band while still maintaining good manners. The engine will idle and cruise just like an LS3, but the power increase is there whenever you need it.

BUIZILLA
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
what is the exhaust center measurements of the outlets vs the BB outer centers?

IOW, it is a direct replacement for a BB or SB application, without changing the transom outlets?
ttt.........

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Could not tell you.... regarding the centers. I can call CMI and ask.

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Hemi heads???

No they aren't. They are the same heads used in the LS7 engine

ted z
01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
what kind of electronics are needed n where r u getting them from is that a dry sump engine not sure which LS engines r

ted z
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
sorry pretty new 2 registry I am a auto tech with a 95 18cl n a 69 z28 that i was thinking about LS power

harbormaster
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Ted, Using an MSD system. MSD water proofed a few for us.( we asked nicely)
I believe the LS engines are the future of boating.

scippy
01-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Will soon be shopping for a twin power package for my 27 Mag........was interested in the 383 Scorpian's.....what general comparison's could tilt toward the LS3 platform.

Fishermanjm
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Would the LS engine have the same GM fuel injection system the cars have? all aluminium ,steel sleeves, less weight, sounds good, it should put out a few pony's

BUIZILLA
01-27-2011, 12:31 PM
my 2010 HD2500 Chevy has the LS3 rated at 366, it's now about 400 :pimp:, and it sure looks a LOT like this animal... did I read that just a cam change to the LS7 Hot Cam from GMPP adds another easy 50hp? 450 in my truck could be fun, i'd entertain that... :cool:

Fishermanjm
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I just read that the 6.8L LS Marine engine is rated for 600hp and weights less than 600lbs,,, thats big block power with a lot less weight in a small block engine

bor
01-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi there harbo master ,very nice project idear I am almost building the same here in europe just missing one thing (the most important for U here ) " A donzi ".
I have A 21ft phantom ( uk ) normal outboard wich I convert in to a inboard and have a LS 3 for it wich is build right now in to marine version .
I surf a lot here looking at the donzi's and the blackhawk drives and got some real good info on here wich me desided to try a bh on the hull . Thanks for that !!
Lucky enough I found a used pair here in europe ,one broken and one good and we mounted the drive yesterday on the same x as the donzi from steve after some talking whit Tom Davis who cleared a lot !! And we hope to see some triple digits whit the combination estimated weight wil be arround 2100 lbs , estimaded hp 580 .
But enough on my non donzi ,I always wanted a 21 classic but are quite rare here in europe and $$$

I am gonna follow your project everyday !!

good luck

Fishermanjm
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Is the blackhawk drive the same as a bravo drive? i have heard of the blackhawk drive alot on this site now

bor
01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Is the blackhawk drive the same as a bravo drive? i have heard of the blackhawk drive alot on this site now

No it's much shorter and devolped as a surface drive whit counter rotation props it's also a one piece casing and the most internals are in the upper half bravo 1 and lowerhalf bravo III

here a pic if it

Fishermanjm
01-27-2011, 03:18 PM
that drive looks pretty cool small package but heavy duty Is the LS3 a 376ci or bigger?

bor
01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Jim.

My rep at CMI provided some large tube headers last year for our carbed monster motor. We then swapped to CMI small tube headers and on the Dyno run our torque numbers went up. Will be using the CMI small tube LS headers for this set up.
We also have a closed cooling system that we designed for the system.
The FAST system has 20 baseline programs. Using the programmer that is provided with the package, we can also make our own.

The LS engines don't like big tubes and a murch collector will give you even more power but there isn't one marine header that have one except the keith eickert BB ones .
I have cmi s my self but hope they keep the hp up .

If you have any questions about the ls engines ,my friend is building mine builds almost all ls7 for the GT3 class corvettes here in europe and have several years R & D in LS engines and knows all of them have maked quite lot of improvements on them .
They are 2 years in arow champion of the class.:party:

Fishermanjm
01-28-2011, 08:33 AM
bor,,, i have a chance to buy a LS1 from a guy i work wit, came out of a crashed vett, for $300.00,,, basic long block, no intake or electrical, is there a kit for a marine engine application with fuel injection computer and wiring??? also do they use the bravo drive?

bor
01-28-2011, 01:40 PM
bor,,, i have a chance to buy a LS1 from a guy i work wit, came out of a crashed vett, for $300.00,,, basic long block, no intake or electrical, is there a kit for a marine engine application with fuel injection computer and wiring??? also do they use the bravo drive?

There far as I no no kit you have to sort all things out ,I used a lot parts from PCM ,the parts are not real expensive and quite nice specialy the raw water pump it's complete stainless and direct bolted on the block !!

If I am correct the ls 1 is a 5.7 but they have also have that in the pcm line up ,you can download all the part lists on there site and then you have to sort out all the hoses and brackets coolers you need .'
As for the fuel injection you can do it easier and use a carb intake

whit a little customising a bell housing from a mercruiser smallblock will bolt on the ls and the coupler fit direct on a ls 7 flywheel .

hope this helps ,

mrfixxall
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM

crateenginedepot.com has a kit with the mefi4 pcm and wireing for around $625.00

CMC319
01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Sweet looking power plant. Any ideas on speed when finished?