PDA

View Full Version : Think about this and global warming!

MOP
01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
http://p38assn.org/glacier-girl-recovery.htm

All the global warming believers need to read this, how could this plane possibly be covered with that much ice? Did it simply sink not hardly!

Fishermanjm
01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
and the other thing thats hard to believe about global warming,,, all the snow were getting here in R.I.,,, is it snowing on long island? supposed to get a foot today an tonight

McGary911
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Not sure what this has to do with global warming, but I did see a great documentary about this project a few years back on PBS. Not sure if they offer it online, but if they do, it's worth a watch.

Can't find any reference to it online. Maybe it wasn't PBS? Anyway, if you can find it, watch it.

Ghost
01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Not sure what this has to do with global warming, but I did see a great documentary about this project a few years back on PBS. Not sure if they offer it online, but if they do, it's worth a watch.

Can't find any reference to it online. Maybe it wasn't PBS? Anyway, if you can find it, watch it.

Ditto that. It was fascinating.

vrod02
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
probably being covered by 270 ft of ice, not 3ft of water on dry land 60 yrs ago.

gcarter
01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I think it could have been the History Channel.

Just an idea, but since so much of this plane was re-created, I suppose it's possible the principals involved could take orders and build a few more.
I suppose a good original would sell for $4-7M. A lot could be done w/that amount.
A good two place Spitfire sold last year for $3.5 M if I remember correctly.

DonziJon
01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I believe there were FIVE P-38s in that flight..as well as some B-17s.. They were lost, (Low on fuel and disoriented) and landed on the ice. I'm a little foggy here. It snows up there, and just keeps stacking up year after year.. :yes: Glacier Girl IS flying, and is not a compilation of parts from other planes. DJ

gcarter
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I believe there were FIVE P-38s in that flight..as well as some B-17s.. They were lost, (Low on fuel and disoriented) and landed on the ice. I'm a little foggy here. It snows up there, and just keeps stacking up year after year.. :yes: Glacier Girl IS flying, and is not a compilation of parts from other planes. DJ

Uh John, that's not exactly right. There's very little of the original air frame that exsists in that plane. The original was essentially crushed by the ice. Glacier Girl is almost a new airplane. I would think the rest, like the wing spar, could be duplicated also.

DonziJon
01-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Uh John, that's not exactly right. There's very little of the original air frame that exsists in that plane. The original was essentially crushed by the ice. Glacier Girl is almost a new airplane. I would think the rest, like the wing spar, could be duplicated also.

George: With all due respect..I think I know better. Classic Aviation is my Major interest. John

gcarter
01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
OK, I stand corrected, the restorers claim that 80% is original.
But I've seen a large number of photographs of the plane during the process and it seemed to me that there was nothing of the surface or the underlying support structure that was re-useable. It was really bashed up. The ice apparently moves continuously. I can just imagine how one of the B-17's would look like as large as they are.