PDA

View Full Version : Now where did I park my car???????

MOP
01-25-2011, 02:10 PM
http://wimp.com/flashflood/

Barry Eller
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
http://wimp.com/flashflood/

I got that in a email from Walt today...incredible.

DonziJon
01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Anyone Notice: Those cars were very small....ELECTRIC..plugged in to little "masts" for recharge..............Coal Burning smart type cars. Just Sayin...:nilly: DJ

yeller
01-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Anyone Notice: Those cars were very small....ELECTRIC..plugged in to little "masts" for recharge..............Coal Burning smart type cars. Just Sayin...:nilly: DJ
Exactly. Electric cars are always touted as being environmentally safe, but it's actually worse than burning fossil fuel.

Fishermanjm
01-26-2011, 12:32 PM
didnt see the recharging mast but they were small vehicles,,, americans need large gas guzzling 4x4's that wouldn't get washed away by no flash flood,,, my ram truck wouldn't,,, lol

zelatore
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
OK, a couple of things here...

#1, and the first thing I thought when I watched the video - sure was nice of them to sit there filming instead of letting the people who owned the cars know they might want to move them! I like the part where he says 'sure am glad I parked around front today'. If nothing else, I guess this is a good example of why you should make nice with the neighbors!

Now, about that electric car bit...I didn't see anything electric. There were at least 4 SUVs and a delivery truck parked there at the beginning. We saw one of them being driven away. Yes, some of the cars are small by US standards. In pretty much EVERY place in the world, cars are small by US standards. Personally, I think (for the most part) 'they' have it right and 'we' have it wrong - a few good small cars would do us good!

As for a big car/truck not getting washed away...I doubt it. Look at the flow at it's peek. I don't see any normal car or truck surviving that. Sadly, this 'bigger = safer/better' fallacy is why we DON'T have any good small cars here.

I agree that electric cars don't equal 0 emissions, they just equal remote emissions. I've banged this drum many times. The actual operation of the car is typically more emissions friendly than an equivalent gas powered car, but when you factor in the total environmental cost along with the fact that most of our electricity comes from coal (as stated) then it gets to be a pretty near thing, with the gas powered car likely coming out ahead though I can't prove it.

Ghost
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
...when you factor in the total environmental cost along with the fact that most of our electricity comes from coal (as stated) then it gets to be a pretty near thing, with the gas powered car likely coming out ahead though I can't prove it.

I suspect it depends on the specifics of what you are trying to optimize. (CO2 produced, pollutants, etc.)

As well as the gas powered car of choice. (A Bentley is very different from a Smartcar, for example.)

Similarly, I would like to see any analysis if anyone's run across it.

DonziJon
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
OK, a couple of things here...

#1, and the first thing I thought when I watched the video - sure was nice of them to sit there filming instead of letting the people who owned the cars know they might want to move them! I like the part where he says 'sure am glad I parked around front today'. If nothing else, I guess this is a good example of why you should make nice with the neighbors!

Now, about that electric car bit...I didn't see anything electric. There were at least 4 SUVs and a delivery truck parked there at the beginning. We saw one of them being driven away. Yes, some of the cars are small by US standards. In pretty much EVERY place in the world, cars are small by US standards. Personally, I think (for the most part) 'they' have it right and 'we' have it wrong - a few good small cars would do us good!

As for a big car/truck not getting washed away...I doubt it. Look at the flow at it's peek. I don't see any normal car or truck surviving that. Sadly, this 'bigger = safer/better' fallacy is why we DON'T have any good small cars here.

I agree that electric cars don't equal 0 emissions, they just equal remote emissions. I've banged this drum many times. The actual operation of the car is typically more emissions friendly than an equivalent gas powered car, but when you factor in the total environmental cost along with the fact that most of our electricity comes from coal (as stated) then it gets to be a pretty near thing, with the gas powered car likely coming out ahead though I can't prove it.

First of all..the audio commentary on the video was just as Uninformed as some of the comments on this thread..."He's letting the air out of his tires". IGNORANCE. The guy was locking the front hubs on his 4WD...........NFC :nilly:

zelatore
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
First of all..the audio commentary on the video was just as Uninformed as some of the comments on this thread..."He's letting the air out of his tires". IGNORANCE. The guy was locking the front hubs on his 4WD...........NFC :nilly:

I heard the air comments too and loved them. Didn't the narrator say something like 'he's letting the air out so it won't float'? :bonk:

Fishermanjm
01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Dam,,, the puter at work here doesnt have sound,,, i missed that part,,, the isuzu trooper made it out of there,,, and i need my truck and will never give up my truck,,, it drinks gas however,,, need it to tow boats and campers,,, electric cars, they are rather expensive to buy and maintain,,, Dodge came out with one a few years ago than gave up on them, the maintaince on that modle is very $$$$$$$$$ the government should make the american car companys develop more of them,,, yea right!!! like we need uncle sam demanding more,,,