PDA

View Full Version : Holman/moody-Volvo Outdrive

James Adcock
09-27-2002, 09:27 AM
All Right! I'm ready to start spending $$$ (BooHooHoo). My 69 18-2+3 has a H/M-Volvo outdrive,#2506233B. I have several questions to ask please.
1st- What type or model do I have?
2nd- How reliable is it considered to be?
3rd- Where do I find another prop? The one I have has the tips bent over, apparently from being reconditioned a few too many times. Any other info somebody wants to add would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help, Jamie

mattyboy
09-27-2002, 09:33 AM
James have the same model

volvo 250 with holman moody tags don't fiddle with them kind of a collectable

drive is strong and reliable.

props are another story, michigan only makes a 21 alum. now but with some searching you can find props ss, bronze,alum to fit your needs and you can always go custom

Matt

Tony
09-27-2002, 09:36 AM
My guess, based on the age of the boat, would be a Volvo AQ250. Volvo's are often considered bulletproof and strong, but are not very streamlined or fast.

Props are a different story, and kind of hard to come by. If you can locate a Volvo Ultra, 22 or 24 inch pitch depending on motor, scoop it up. This is generally considered a good prop for a Volvo Donzi, but you may have to drill your propshaft for it to fit since it is considered a "long hub" prop wheras a lot of older Volvo outdrives accomodate only the "short hub" prop.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

smoothie
09-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Years ago I had Ron Hill make a SS chopper for my 16 Donzi with a volvo 280.

MOP
09-27-2002, 08:42 PM
Drop RT an E-Mail, I think he still has some props that will work for you. Moody Blu picked up one or two. and he still has a trim & tilt drive assy. Complete might be a Moody came out of fresh water, its old with super low hours on it.

AWS12@msn.com

RT
09-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Have an original bronze 22" pitch LEFT HAND prop,
used on holman-moody drives, 17 spline, short solid hub for sale 200.00. I have prop, but am selling for a friend. As MOP states, I have a 270
drive complete w/ power/trim and tilt from a freshwater boat. If a certian member, initials
M-B doesn't pick up by end of next week, it will be available. email me for more info if interested.

James Adcock
09-27-2002, 09:24 PM
M.O.P.,
Thanks for the heads up. I would like to replace the prop.I will definitely try and get in touch with him. I need to ask though, what does a trim and tilt drive assy consist of? Does it really enhance performance or add improvement?

James Adcock
09-27-2002, 09:24 PM
M.O.P.,
Thanks for the heads up. I would like to replace the prop.I will definitely try and get in touch with him. I need to ask though, what does a trim and tilt drive assy consist of? Does it really enhance performance or add improvement?

MOP
09-27-2002, 10:09 PM
T&T and Tabs are what you need to get the most out of your rig. The T&T will help you to get trimmed out or in to make up for conditions. I know there are some guys up here with real similar setups to give you some help with how much it helps the 18.

PS RT has the whole setup, nice looking fresh water stuff. He broke up an original ski boat package, he is switching to outboads. He told me the hours, forgot the exact but was surpised how low. I have the 4 barrel setup off the 302 that was in it, good looking 302 is headed for his vintage P/U.

BigGrizzly
09-28-2002, 01:04 AM
Solas also kes SS props for Volvos Talked to the rep thuesday morning about that. Hill no longer makes the chopper --too many problems with blades breaking. I currently am using a Hill thrasher. The so called fan blade by MOP and called High speed by Volvo others call it Elephant ear. Michacan does make more than a 21 pitch because I have a 25 pitch as a spare right now. the only prop I found that works as good as the Hill is the Ultra 4 blade (the prop they never made)thad a good friend loned me this summer.

Craig
09-28-2002, 08:16 AM
How long ago did you get that 25"?? I talked to Michigan a few years ago about a slightly lower pitch replacement (because I had a 27" pitch by Michigan). The guy I talked to there indicated they had discontinued most except like a 19" or a 21" I forget, but he did tell me they didn't make anything for these drives (# of splines, etc) anymore except the one size. Maybe I got a guy on the line that didn't feel like checking too hard, I don't know. I wish there was more to choose from in the standard price range for aluminum or stainless for old Volvos.