PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Sweet 16 - $6900 - (NOT MY BOAT)

jstrahn
01-23-2011, 11:53 PM
NOT MY BOAT NOT MY BOAT NOT MY BOAT

No pics in the ad but if it's in decent condition, it's a steal
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2176301181.html
Great lil boat with the 5.0 mpi V-8 mercruiser well cared for and always kept inside on the trailer when not in use. Flushed , waxed and thoroughly cleaned after every use low low hours..~ 355. No bottom scratches or bottom paint hull is buffed and waxed two to three times a year and of course looks like new. Red and white hull with red interior. We are looking to buy a new Bay boat and need to sell or trade this one. Dealer offered $5000 in a trade and if we don't get very very close to our asking price asap we will reluctantly trade by 3/1. Boat is inside stored but pics available for the serious as soon as I have them. Boat comes with a like new (2010) aluminum trailer, has a lot of other options including canvas covers and quick and quiet exhaust. This is a nice lil lake boat for an afternoon cruise we have just outgrown it and are going to buy bigger so we can run all over the Bay. Price is rather firm but willing to trade for some contracting services as we own a property management company. This is a great deal in our opinion as we have seen others here asking almost twice as much for older boats with less desireable hull colors like a yellow hull. Hurry this should sell quickly, titles are here and free and clear boat is ready to go!

Just Say N20
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
...we have seen others here asking almost twice as much for older boats with less desireable hull colors like a yellow hull.

He had me until he had to go and say that last part.
:eek:

axelkloehn
01-24-2011, 09:01 AM

he changed it already in the ad :wink: may be was too much of an offense :yes:

MOP
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Dynamite deal for someone, well under what it is worth you won't see another like this for awhile.

jstrahn
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Yellow is actually more desirable to me. The red and white are cool but there are a lot of them.

inlander
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Saw a similar Craigslist ad not too long ago. When I responded to it, he wrote back a detailed email message describing how he was working on a cruise ship and was not available to show the boat. Said the boat was in a crate in Seattle (ad was posted in Sacramento) and that all I had to do was wire the monies and that the boat would be shipped. Said he had pink-slip in hand and would be awaiting payment. I responded with the following: :mad:

Please send me a copy of the certificate of ownership and your phone number so I can verify the existence of the boat. I'm sure you understand, that with all the low lifes out there, trying to scam hard working people out of their money, I must verify ownership and existence of boat before payment is sent. Thank you.

Needless to say, he never responded. Major red flag is when there is no phone number.

Full-throttle
01-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I offered the asking price and still can't get any photos of the boat

Just Say N20
01-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a scam. I should have seen it in the ad.

Usually this type of ad is more on non-craigslist forums.

Too good to be true. No pictures. The "working on a cruise ship" line is the clincher in my mind. Just someone trying to scam others. This type of thing has been very "popular" amongst the Harley Davidson bikes, Honda Trikes and Goldwings, and BMW bikes. The cruise ship line used to be in the ad as the reason for selling; just no time to use it. They used to mention a non-existant eBay motor vehicle payment plan to. Funny how folks wouldn't wonder why eBay would be involved in a non-eBay sale.

jstrahn
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm not completely convinced it's a scam. I agree it's odd there is no phone number in the ad.

I sent them an email asking for a phone number to discuss the boat. Will see if I get a response.

zelatore
01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Despite having a red boat, I had to disagree with the yellow comment as well!

This ad reads very well for a scam ad. Usually those guyscan barely put a decent sentance together. The only odd part to me was the comment about waxing the boat after every use, then in the next sentance saying the boat gets waxes 3 or 4 times a year. But that's such a minor glitch in the ad that I wasn't really put off by it.

The lack of pics is a bit odd, but I suppose a lot of boats are put away for the season now.

As for the lack of phone number, as long as theyput an email I'm ok with it. I've posted craigslist ads plenty of times with only an email as I don't want all the low ballers calling me.

The real test of course will be what happens when you contact the seller. Scams are usually pretty easy to spot.

Full-throttle
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Just got a reply that the boat has been sold.

Just Say N20
01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
IF (and that's a big IF) the ad was legitimate, someone got a great deal.

MOP
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Wonder if we will see the new owner up here! That was jump on deal too much talking no action, was tempted to buy it myself to resell could have picked up a few bucks!

jstrahn
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
If it were closer to me, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat.

inlander
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT!

The ad I saw was also very detailed and took a lot of time to write. He also had the e-bay payment plan. This ad is toooooo detailed. A 2000, 5.0 with 2010 trailer for that price? Got to be kidding. No pictures? No telephone number? He's got the time to write this huge ad, but he can't include pictures? Come on now...

I've got to go now, I have to go flush my engine and polish and wax my hull. I try to do it 3 times a week whether it needs it or not.

jstrahn
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT! SCAM ALERT!

The ad I saw was also very detailed and took a lot of time to write. He also had the e-bay payment plan. This ad is toooooo detailed. A 2000, 5.0 with 2010 trailer for that price? Got to be kidding. No pictures? No telephone number? He's got the time to write this huge ad, but he can't include pictures? Come on now...

I've got to go now, I have to go flush my engine and polish and wax my hull. I try to do it 3 times a week whether it needs it or not.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm also not sure why you're so adamant about this. This would definitely be a good deal but I've seen old boats go for this price or less in the last few months. I don't know the circumstances of the seller and it is possible they either need the money or are basing the value of the boat solely off of what the dealership offered them for it.

I would encourage anyone buying a boat or anything online to do their due diligence. Get all the information you can and then see the item in person before you send any money.

Someone posted in the thread that it is already sold so it's a moot point on this boat.

inlander
01-26-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm also not sure why you're so adamant about this. This would definitely be a good deal but I've seen old boats go for this price or less in the last few months. I don't know the circumstances of the seller and it is possible they either need the money or are basing the value of the boat solely off of what the dealership offered them for it.

I would encourage anyone buying a boat or anything online to do their due diligence. Get all the information you can and then see the item in person before you send any money.

Someone posted in the thread that it is already sold so it's a moot point on this boat.
I'm not being adamant about this, I'm just replying to this thread. I've also seen many "old boats go for this price or less," but I haven't seen any 2000 16's with a 5.0 with a 2010 trailer go for this price. I agree, it is a "moot point," because it's been sold...allegedly.