PDA

View Full Version : Need a tach or speedometer? Not my store.

John C in PA
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
My tach needle sticks around 1,000 rpm until you tap the glass and then it works somewhat well at low RPM's (where, of course, I really don't intend to spend much time). The clamp isn't too tight (checked per Faria) and from some back channel conversations it can get expensive to have my tach repaired. And Donzi doesnt have these anymore (see my avatar).

I found a webpage with Donzi branded tachs and speedometers for sale (http://www.oldboatgauges.com/donzi.html) and ended up calling him (231-723-8308 ) to talk about what he has in stock.

Long story short, the prices on the webpage are no longer good. He's has plenty of 55 mph and 80 mph speedo's for $12.95 and has only two 0-6K tachs left for $25 each. He checked the tachs on a machine while on the phone and I took one. Of the 2 left, one has paint peeling off the bezel; the other has a scratch on the bezel and dust behind the glass. Priority Mail shipping is 6 bucks.

If nothing else, the tach will make a nice desk ornament :yes: until I need to place it in service. FYI: I have no business or other relationship with these folks.

John C

DonziJon
01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
From a post by me back in August:

When I first got my Minx, the boat was 11 years old. All the instruments were FARIA..installed by Donzi. (They pronounce it Fa-Ree-A) The second year I had the boat the tach started to act up and would bounce around and stick at certain places.

I looked around, West Marine, etc and could find nothing that came close to looking like the Faria so I thought I'd get on the phone and call Faria just for the hell of it. They were in Connecticut.

I started to tell them my story and even before I finished, the guy says: "Send the old tach back to us with a check for $17.95 and we will either fix it or replace it, and send it back to you". I reminded them the Tach was now 12 YEARS OLD. The guy repeated word for word: "Send the old tach back to us with a check for $17.95 and we will either fix it or replace it, and send it back to you". At that time a new tach from anyone would have been over $100.

I did as I was instructed and less than two weeks later a Brand NEW Tach arrived. The dial and bezel style were identical to the old tach and matched the old remaining instruments.

This kind of service is hard to find.

BTW: That $17.95 Also covered shipping and handling.

John C in PA
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Hmmm. Faria responded to my inquiry this past November with this: "We might be able to repair with same look but hard to say depending upon the design of original works etc." I had also asked about switching face plates so I keep the Donzi but the reply above was all I got.

John C