PDA

View Full Version : sea strainer question zr27

450rrrr
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM
im looking to install a sea strainer in my zr27. my question is ....if i mount the sea strainer at approx the same hieght as my sea pump can i route the return line under the strainer(which will be approx 6in lower than the pump) and back to the pump worried about air lock return hose must of course go over stringer in engine bay hose to ballvalve/strainer assem will be about 2 ft. return hose which is under sea strainer will need to be 5 to 6 ft long..anybody else with a 27 put one in..

Marvair
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't mount it below the water line without a ball valve on the intake. I installed a Hardin on a bracket I had made with the top at the water line. I also installed a Merc flush kit at the pump and it backflushes the strainer when I flush. Your engine bay is more friendly than mine, you'll have plenty of space.

Marvin.

Rumblefish
01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't mount it below the water line without a ball valve on the intake. I installed a Hardin on a bracket I had made with the top at the water line. I also installed a Merc flush kit at the pump and it backflushes the strainer when I flush. Your engine bay is more friendly than mine, you'll have plenty of space.

Marvin.

I Agree with Marvin.. A simple theory is water inlet level with Sea pump inlet as a guide. and the routing of hose to circle back under the engine (between the stringers) is common as it is need to attach to the sea pump..high speed boats with stock outdrive or aftermarket pick ups do like a performance stainer as Marvin mentioned as to handle the higher water pressure spikes that occur.

450rrrr
01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
thank you for your answers..i picked up a full port 1in stainless valve so that i dont sink the boat if i need to open the strainer...also its a G I L strainer..not as fance as some..but looks like a nice unit..