PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a boot for my Eaton Outdrive

BobinCovington
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
As most of you know, I have a really old (really old) Eaton Series sixteen outdrive on my 45 year old Donzi and it works fine and has been rebuilt with better quality shafts/gears. The bellows/boot looks good on inspection, works fine and I think it is at least 10 years old (but the boat has been stored indoors and hardly used). But I am nervous for that day I need a new one.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57964&d=1281919555

I am looking for a replacement outdrive boot (I need to look up the p/n in my manual) and I am realizing that I probably won't find this part barring some kind of a miracle. My first hope (prayer) is that someone has one or knows where I can get one. If not, then I wonder, can a boot be custom made or is there a universal boot somewhere? Is there some place where some magician works that could make something work from another drive? At this point I am considering molding my own rubber part or painting some liquid rubber on my current boot to keep it working. Hell if I have to make one out of sheep bladder I will. I am not usually one to take No for an answer so I will keep trying to solve this one...

If anyone has any source you can recommend...any help (or encouragement) is appreciated. Help!

cutwater
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Bob, if you find one or make a run of them, I would be interested. My drive (at some point) will need to be completely gone through...

BobinCovington
01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I will sure let you know if we go that route and make some up. If I have an old one to pattern from it would really help (without removing my drive right now). Of course if someone is sitting on three brand new ones, just feel free to let me know :)

cutwater
01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Haha, yeah that would be nice! I need to send you a pic of mine sometime... it's a little rough :wink: I think every piece of rubber on the whole thing has rotted out.

LKSD
01-15-2011, 10:58 AM
I may be able to still get these. If you email me your model#, serial # and year along with your phone # I will let you know what I come up with.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

BobinCovington
01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Mine is installed on the boat so hard to see, but if anyone has a picture or a drawing of Bellows for the Eaton, it would be great if you could post it to this thread. I'm curious if we can adapt another bellows from a different application.

LKSD
01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Mine is installed on the boat so hard to see, but if anyone has a picture or a drawing of Bellows for the Eaton, it would be great if you could post it to this thread. I'm curious if we can adapt another bellows from a different application.

Nice chatting with you today..:) I will keep you posted on getting you a replacement one...

As far as if a direct replacement is not available, Yes, as per our conversation today things can sometimes be adapted... At least I know I we have adapted some items on certain applications in the past at my shop.. But, it is not always easy, cheap or worthwhile compared to some other alternatives.. :)

Anyway, lets keep our fingers crossed as I am waiting for one more call back from one of vendors.. Not that I would not want a visit from you here on the opposite coast, but I know it is not always realistically feasible.

:) Jamie / Lakeside

BobinCovington
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks Jamie,
You are a huge help. I have called several places and it has been fun hearing their reactions. "You need a what?...how old?...you know that's almost 45 years old!"

If you can find one, you have some serious Donzi (UPDATED - "and other old boat related") connections!

LKSD
01-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks.. :) However the boot has actually no connections tho with Donzi other than the Eaton unit was something that they installed back then. The actual component and replacement parts are not something that they made or support. ;) :) Jamie / Lakeside

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-18-2011, 10:38 AM
There is a place in St clare shores and i think it is called marysvill marine who handles parts for the old Eaton ,and Stern Power , drives.

BobinCovington
01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks...I tried, but no luck on the Eaton baffles from them. They were pretty nice and recommended some other possible places...I will follow up with some of these leads

LKSD
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Marrysville was not an Eaton center, We have been set up with them for quite a long time.. They had some off spins of the later stuff that was out post Eaton and they do carry some older obscure stuff compared to other suppliers, but no good for this particular one... Also they are a dealer only sales center and wont usually sell to anyone that does not have a dealer account with them. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I may have good news.. I just was able to dig up something.. ;)

Bob, I will give you a shout on what I found.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Bob, if you find one or make a run of them, I would be interested. My drive (at some point) will need to be completely gone through...

If anyone else needs one of these Eaton outdrive boots I may be able to help as well. Feel free to give me a call, I can fill you in on the details then and sizing I would need.. I would forewarn you tho, there are not many of these & they are a little pricey for a bellow.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

cutwater
01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Jamie - Tried to call you earlier but got voicemail. I'm interested in whatever parts you guys find... Mine is the same model as Bob's, I think. The Eaton Series Sixteen drive.

John

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Bob Tower Marine here in my area (Mich) just might have what you are looking for if all else fails because years ago they use to build houseboats and they handled Eaton and Stern Power supplies .269-857-2151

LKSD
01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Bob, Pm or email me your phone # I didn't not get any voice mail. Or if you want to try me again, I will be working until about 6pm tonight here East coast time if you want to try me again.. It has been pretty busy here today earlier on.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

LKSD
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
I received some approximate specs on the 2 different boots that I can currently get, So I thought I'd draw a quick diagram of kind of how they would be set up. They bath are in very limited quantities and are no longer being made. These are new old stock. These were 2 of the more common ones used on the Eatons..

If neither of these will work I would need the overall length of the boot needed as well the diameter or accurate circumference of the 2 open ends. And I can then see if there is anything else that "maybe could work"..

** Circumference is the distance around a circle or round opening.

** Diameter is the distance across an round opening or circle

** You can measure the distance around a circle or opening with string and then divide it by 3.14 to give you the diameter.

**** (note the outer diameter or circumference of a boot will be slightly larger than the inner diameter or circumference because of the thickness of the boot material.. )***

Again, all measurements and drawings are approximates, call me if you have any questions..

Hope this helps anyone who still may be looking.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations.com 570-639-2628