PDA

View Full Version : Quick Truck Tire Question

Greg Guimond
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I have been looking for a set of studded snows for my 05 Excursion V10. Figured after two winter blasts I would cry uncle! Got super lucky ( I think ) and ran across a set of Nokian Hakka LT's with 1500 miles and grabbed them even though the size is a little off. I have stock rims and run 265/75 16's. The Hakka's are 225/75 16's, pretty small. Can I run these or do I have to resell and keep looking? What are the side effects? Thanks

gcarter
01-13-2011, 09:15 PM
I obviously don't drive in snow, so I'm curious about this.....
Does it help to have skinnier tires in snow?
I remember reading about driving on wide tires and how they don't bite but tend to float and spin.
What do you think?

Greg Guimond
01-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm not really sure but that is why I went fit to studs. There is a ton of info on the net about going bigger but nothing on smaller. I was more looking for any comments on it it is OK to drop two full sizes. The only state that currently does not have snow is Florida :shades:

HOWARD O
01-14-2011, 07:33 AM
I have been looking for a set of studded snows for my 05 Excursion V10. Figured after two winter blasts I would cry uncle! Got super lucky ( I think ) and ran across a set of Nokian Hakka LT's with 1500 miles and grabbed them even though the size is a little off. I have stock rims and run 265/75 16's. The Hakka's are 225/75 16's, pretty small. Can I run these or do I have to resell and keep looking? What are the side effects? Thanks

I don't see a problem with you running that size. My '03 F250 diesel CC came with 235's from the factory. They looked like little donuts on the truck and I replaced them fairly quickly. But they took me NC to California and back with no issues. Here's a photo the day I brought it home from the dealer, 225's can't look "too much" smaller!

HOWARD O
01-14-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm not really sure but that is why I went fit to studs. There is a ton of info on the net about going bigger but nothing on smaller. I was more looking for any comments on it it is OK to drop two full sizes. The only state that currently does not have snow is Florida :shades:

I think the tire you are going after would be an awesome setup for snow. You're effectively dropping your gear ratio too, which would help in snow as well. I've been running 285's a/t's of various makes on my truck since replacing the 235's and from what little snow I've been in, it would definitely do better with a much smaller and skinnier tire. Those Hakkas are real snow tires, that thing will go like gangbusters.

Greg Guimond
01-14-2011, 08:07 AM
That is good feedback Howard, thanks. The reason I was asking is the data that this website spit back at me. You can go there and click on comparer. Pretty cool tool if you have not seen it. The Hakka's are load rated E which gives me some comfort but the site was NOT happy with the 225 size :confused:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

CHACHI
01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Greg, do you really need studs?

Ken

Greg Guimond
01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Ken, The Excursion when unloaded likes to wiggle. In our area, we don't get consistently cold weather and the freeze-thaw thing causes a lot of black ice. If I had run across a Blizzak or similiar first I would have grabbed them, but when these studded Hakka's showed up local I jumped on them. That said, this will be my first set of studded snows so I'll only really know after winter is over.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-14-2011, 10:13 AM

You will have more PSI on the tread so I am guessing better traction on snow. The tires might look a little funny with being mounted on a wider rim than they typically would be mounted, but no big deal there. If I calculated right, the biggest difference is that your speed will be 15% off. At 60MPH on your speedometer, you will actually be going 51MPH. Bill

CJmike
01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Where in the world is it still legal to run studded tires on the street?

mrfixxall
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM

I was going to post the same thing..i know on a 70 mustang with a 351c engine they make alot pf sparks when you light them up..

HOWARD O
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

More places than I thought!

http://www.tire-information-world.com/tire-stud-regulations.html

yeller
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
When I had my first Bronco, I ran 33's x 11.5". Sucked in the snow. Wanted to float on top and not bite.

Second Bronco I went with 33's x 9.5" pizza cutters. Much better.

Donziweasel
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I run a Maxxis Bighorn studded and sipped tire on my F-350 in the winter. Handles like a Formula 1 race car in the snow and ice. Makes you feel like superman when everyone else is spinning out and driving like a grandma....... :)

Greg Guimond
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Probably half the states allow studs "in season" so not that uncommon. I'll report back how they do :yes:

CHACHI
01-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Probably half the states allow studs "in season" so not that uncommon. I'll report back how they do :yes:

My guess is you won't be able to find snow deep enough around here to see "how well they really work". It should be like a tank.

Ken

Greg Guimond
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Had them mounted up, thanks for the feedback. The Hakkas ride better then I would have thought and not that loud actually. Now just waiting for another Nor'Easter with a couple feet :crossfing:

Fishermanjm
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
where are u from Greg??? im up in R.I. we got dumped on last week

CHACHI
01-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Greg, this Friday you can start testing, or so says Scott Haney.
Ken

MOP
01-21-2011, 05:53 AM
For those of you that do not want studs look into the General Altimax Artic, this is my second season on mine. That traction and handling is more than amazing, they are quite a bit better than the Blizzaks I ran before.

Greg Guimond
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Well with all the snow, plus the little "ice event" we have had I can now say that I am an idiot for not running these Hakka studded snows in the past. Does not seem to be ANY negative effects on the Excursion including a lot less feedback noise from the pizza cutters then I might have imagined. I am going to look for the Altimax Arctic for the Saab next, thanks MOP.

DannyK
02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I think that tall and skinny is best for snow. They dig down through the soft stuff and get traction better than wide tires that float on top. I'm running wide BFG TKOs on my Z-71 though, so what do I know. Here's what a local collector rolled out of his shop the other day. He was having a blast taking his family through town, fields and hills. Its awesome !

Fishermanjm
02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Yea that looks cool Dan,,, looks like it goes through anythin