PDA

View Full Version : needs a little work

zelatore
01-11-2011, 09:01 PM
So, do you think the hook in the hull is to help give her a little lift getting up on plane?

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/various%20photos/photo2.jpg

gcarter
01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Uh......that's called hogging! :eek:

What yard is that in?

Once the hull dries out, have a barbeque!

Just Say N20
01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Looks just like the back end of my Ski-Sporter.

Only bigger.

Much, much bigger.

G-MAN
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
can it get on plane?

hardcrab
01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
It's a collectors item ........... the original step hull prototype !

Craig S
01-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Most of those 52 and 57 foot Connies develop that.

gcarter
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
It's usually a lack of diagonal strapping inside the planking, which is one of those things that seperate the high end wooden boats from the low end wooden boats.

zelatore
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Delta Boatworks, Isleton, CA. I was up there for a survey and saw that THING sitting there - I just couldn't understand what on earth it was doing there, or even why the yard manager had agreed to haul it instead of putting it on his elevator.

Turns out it had been anchored near Stockton and was struck by a local sheriff's boat leading to it's sinking. Obviously it hadn't been in the best condition before either. They hauled it and it's awaiting final resolution of the paperwork (lots of that I understand) prior to a visit from Mr. Chainsaw. The yard manager only agreed to haul it after they signed off it wasn't his fault if the thing collapsed in the slings.

I was just shocked at how crooked that bottom was! And although you can't see it in the poor iphone pic, the blocks under the keep have compressed it by a good 4" in places.

To think, she was once a really nice boat. Once. A long time ago.

LuauLounge
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Yul Brynner originally purchased it new, named it "The King and I".

Here is a news article on what happened.

http://www.kcra.com/video/24819863/detail.html

gcarter
01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
According to the owner, it was in Concours condition!!! :wink:

LuauLounge
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
According to the owner, it was in Concours condition!!! :wink:

Maybe that was the issue, it was meant to be on land, rather than on the water....

Either way, he is going to get more for it than it was worth......

zelatore
01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I say this with no first hand experience other than the few minutes I spent looking at the boat's bottom at the yard and the info the owner gives in the video, so take it with a grain of salt.

This guy strikes me as a typical delta live-aboard. No insurance. Big old woodie that he could get cheap for the space. Boat probably hadn't moved in years - if it was even possible to start it. Probably hadn't been hauled in even longer. If I had to guess, any money that was spent on her went into things like home depot refer and carpet, and maybe a new sofa from Aarons.

Now suddenly he thinks he's hit the lottery because Mr. Deep Pockets (the county) hit his boat.

I'm not saying he isn't due compensation - if they sank it they owe him. No question.

But the bit about how great the boat was is just rubbish. One look at her and it's obvious that even if the interior had been refurb'ed to be a live-aboard the hull was in awful shape.

And although I don't know exactly what type of boat the sheriff was using, many of them locally have about 24' aluminum v-hulls with a single outboard. (North River maybe?) I'd love to see one of those hit "15 or 20 mph" in reverse! I'm betting more like 3 to 5 mph. Even in the worst-case situation, that shouldn't have been enough to hole the hull like that. Heaven forbid you had a slightly rough docking with your 'concourse' Connie there buddy - especially considering that given the relative weights of the small sheriff's boat and that big old woodie the difference in kinetic energy would have been enormous. Just tap the dock and the whole thing would have exploded!

Again, maybe I'm wrong. But if it quacks like a duck....

Here are a couple more pics of her. Sorry for the poor quality. I blame my iPhone...:wink:

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/various%20photos/photo3.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/various%20photos/photo.jpg

gcarter
01-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Wow!
Look at those open seams!
I wonder is the plywood covered area is the "hole"?

Tony
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Yul Brynner originally purchased it new, named it "The King and I".

Here is a news article on what happened.

http://www.kcra.com/video/24819863/detail.html

If you read the comments below this article, Ravery4220 (http://ulocal.kcra.com/service/displayKickPlace.kickAction?u=29549360&as=62973) sounds like he has the whole back story on this...

CHACHI
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
What that boat needs is a nice coat of flames.

Ken

zelatore
01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
What that boat needs is a nice coat of flames.

Ken
Not yet! Right behind it is a 57 Carver that belongs to one of my clients - let's at least move it to the other end of the yard before breaking out the kerosine!
:shocking:

zelatore
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Wow!
Look at those open seams!
I wonder is the plywood covered area is the "hole"?

Exactly. But you know it was practically showroom fresh until the sheriff hit it...:bonk:

I didn't check, but I too assumed the plywood was over the impact area.

Come to think of it, I have a fair idea of who the county might have hired as a surveyor for valuation. I might ask him about it when I get back.

gcarter
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Could it be that this comment is what's wrong w/California? And the majority party?

"This is so sad. A sheriff boat runs into this guys boat and the county doesn't want to claim responsibility for it? This guy is homeless now cause some guy who wasn't experienced was driving a sherrif's boat. The county needs to make this RIGHT--take some responsibility."

LuauLounge
01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Could it be that this comment is what's wrong w/California? And the majority party?

"This is so sad. A sheriff boat runs into this guys boat and the county doesn't want to claim responsibility for it? This guy is homeless now cause some guy who wasn't experienced was driving a sherrif's boat. The county needs to make this RIGHT--take some responsibility."

"This is so sad" is exactly what is wrong with California.

It is so sad that collectively, California has had a bad case of "affluenza", which is a temporary feeling of prosperity, based on:

1. My house doubled in value in 12 months, I'm making more money on appreciation than I am working...(2005-6)
2. My stock and 401k accounts are growing like mad.
3. I work in real estate/mortgage business and we can't keep up. I don't have time to cash my $10k paychecks.
4. I'll take second on my house and buy, more real estate, cars, boats, vacations, furniture, etc.

Then, reality set in...

Unfortunately, not only the population, but the CA government bought the line, live for today, based on what we can borrow.
It is going to be interesting to see what the fallout is.
I know my wallet is going to get thinner due to the Gov't pickpockets.

CHACHI
01-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Not yet! Right behind it is a 57 Carver that belongs to one of my clients - let's at least move it to the other end of the yard before breaking out the kerosine!
:shocking:
Details Don, details.

Ken

gcarter
01-14-2011, 07:40 AM
"This is so sad" is exactly what is wrong with California.

It is so sad that collectively, California has had a bad case of "affluenza", which is a temporary feeling of prosperity, based on:

1. My house doubled in value in 12 months, I'm making more money on appreciation than I am working...(2005-6)
2. My stock and 401k accounts are growing like mad.
3. I work in real estate/mortgage business and we can't keep up. I don't have time to cash my $10k paychecks.
4. I'll take second on my house and buy, more real estate, cars, boats, vacations, furniture, etc.

Then, reality set in...

Unfortunately, not only the population, but the CA government bought the line, live for today, based on what we can borrow.
It is going to be interesting to see what the fallout is.
I know my wallet is going to get thinner due to the Gov't pickpockets.

These are all excellent points, but what I was really reffering to was in spite of the fact the state, not to mention the county (probably) is broke!!!!!!! AND, the fact that this owner is a dirt bag, a scoundral, and all around con artist, the author of the comment is that the state shoud cowboy up and pay all this guys bills 'cause "He's Homeless"!
Yeah, the county SHOULD pay the salvage value of the boat...it was their fault, and, I'm sure they have insurance for ALL their vehicles.
But this bleeding heart's comments were all based on the owner being homeless!
Since when is it the state's responsibility to furnish housing for anyone that finds themselves w/o shelter?
Maybe the next time I vacation in CA, I'll declare homeless status for two weeks and see what advantage I can take of the state!

Oooops!
I forgot!
This is all within rock throwing distance of San Francisco!

zelatore
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
While I tend to agree with you, that might be reading just a bit too much into a one-line post on a message board...

But as a general idea, it has merit.

There are a variety of things we could get into about the topic, but I'll hold off as we're on the wrong site for that discussion.