PDA

View Full Version : supercharger kit for BBC w/closed water system

poorboy
01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Anyone know of a supercharger kit avail. for a Gen lV BBC that will work with a closed water system. The motor is in a 22 Classic running a stock raw water cooling system now. thanks in advance:cool!:

mrfixxall
01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Anyone know of a supercharger kit avail. for a Gen lV BBC that will work with a closed water system. The motor is in a 22 Classic running a stock raw water cooling system now. thanks in advance:cool!:

ProCharger M1SC..you will just have to run a lwp for the intercooler..

fogducker III
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Is it the 330hp...?:confused:

LKSD
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
There are some kits that work with closed cooling, others need to be modded, and some just plain old wont work.

It depends on which BBC model you actually have. For the most part they don't work without modification of some sort. If the closed set up is on hung on the front of the engine many interfere with the drive belts needed to drive the supercharger. Also some use a crossover.

In short you can get them to work, but plan on usually doing some mods or relocating of some stuff to make it happen..

;) Jamie / Lakeside

fogducker III
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I think we need to start at the beginning...?

If you have the 330hp motor with cast internals a supercharger is a none issue...........IF you have forged internals there are loads of options....as Jamie points out, some work with the closed cooling systems, some don't and others you will have to relocate the system.....but start with the basics IMO.....

poorboy
01-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info! motor is a 1990 Gen iV 454 merc mag with forged scat and 14 hrs on rebuild which included balance, alum intake and heads, thus the need for enclosed cooling.
I have the stock merc SS risers and iron manifolds on the motor (always fresh water) and have heard of possible leakage problems after you remove the risers to install new gaskets or block offs. These are the risers that use the short bolts at the flange meeting the manifold and the bolt slot ears are supposed to bend ? Newer risers use the long bolts down thru the top of the riser which provides a better gasket seal. I've removed and replaced plenty of SB, BB (long bolt type) and ford risers gaskets with no issues. Never have replaced gaskets on this style riser. Anyone know or heard of this issue? Thanks

LKSD
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Your exhaust set up should be checked & a better set up geared more for performance wouldn't hurt. Aside from that you should find your compression ratio as you dont want to boost something with too high of a compression ratio under normal circumstances. Also if you are carbed then a crew style supercharger would work a little better & easier, however they are taller & that can cause you some hatch clearance issues unless you want to run a scoop..

There is quite a lot to take in and know before just putting on a supercharger and some options are better than others. :) J

poorboy
01-16-2011, 10:40 AM
compression is 9;1 with the alum. heads. and the motor is carbed with a holley. exhaust is in excellant condition. just put the motor together and showing 14 hrs. running time. no plan to go crazy with a supercharger, 5 lbs. fine. did not want to go to a scoop but perhaps a very low one is all that will be needed. I was hoping someone had did a setup like mine already but it appears some fabrication is needed which is not a problem. I will start by seeing if there is a closed water system avail that you can alter and mount the exchanger on the side somewhere and then check out the charger for the carbed system. thanks for all the info.