PDA

View Full Version : So does this look like it will work...?

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Installed the sea strainer and hooked up the flush out line and shut off valve, it should work OK.....:confused::crossfing:

Also got all the new gauges in including the vacuum/boost and water pressure.....yes the top gauge is dented on the rim......I was rushing to get it installed and dropped it.....:nilly: I am leaving it that way to remind myself to slow down a little.....:yes::wink:

gcarter
01-08-2011, 12:12 PM
It looks good.
If you had a survey done, he'd probably tell you to double clamp all the raw water hose ends.

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 12:22 PM
It looks good.
If you had a survey done, he'd probably tell you to double clamp all the raw water hose ends.

Good point George, I will do that...... I was a little mad having to mount the strainer where I did but there really was nowhere else to put it, now that it is permanently fixed it is better then I thought it would be......now to get the engine to the darn dyno.......:nilly:

MOP
01-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Was wondering about the added sea cock, I have those strainer on the shelf when you switch to the G hose it shuts the outside supply off.

Phil

mrfixxall
01-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Where is the red sauce and meat balls:)

Carl C
01-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Make sure you use the super thick and stiff hose on the intake....

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Was wondering about the added sea cock, I have those strainer on the shelf when you switch to the G hose it shuts the outside supply off.

Phil

The garden hose "shut-off" closes the intake from the leg off but not completely....there is an internal "gate" but it is not a total divertor, plus, where I had to mount the strainer it is only "just" above the water line so I thought it a good idea to have the stop cock if I ever had to clean out the strainer on the water or heaven forbid, change an impeller......:nilly::eek::wink:

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Where is the red sauce and meat balls:)

What are you on about..???:confused::nilly::wink:

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Make sure you use the super thick and stiff hose on the intake....

The hose from the transom assembly to the stop-cock/strainer is the stock heavy/stiff, wire lined stuff, I will use the same hose from the other side of the strainer to the pump.....:yes::wink:

hardcrab
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
With a little modification, you could make some corn liquor

mrfixxall
01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
What are you on about..???:confused::nilly::wink:

hey a mans gotta eat while workin!!

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
With a little modification, you could make some corn liquor

My other half asked where the "flux capacitor" was.......:bonk:

fogducker III
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
hey a mans gotta eat while workin!!

Point taken.....I wonder if I could rig it to double as a BBQ...???:rolleyes::tooth:

mrfixxall
01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Point taken.....I wonder if I could rig it to double as a BBQ...???:rolleyes::tooth:

wait until your finished, if your not happy with it then make a BBQ of it..:eek:

MOP
01-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Looks like you have a decent handle on it, I like the wire wound stuff myself.

Phil

yeller
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The white gauges look nice. You should remove the housing for the CD player and paint it white or black to match the rest of the dash.

fogducker III
01-09-2011, 11:56 AM
The white gauges look nice. You should remove the housing for the CD player and paint it white or black to match the rest of the dash.

Thanks, I have a "spare" boost gauge just in case....:biggrin:

Good idea with the stereo cover......:yes:

Now to get this bloody engine on the dyno....:mad:

zelatore
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I know you're a salt water guy, and I see you're mixing metals. If you go with a bronze ball-valve for the shut-off it would lead to less corrosion problems in the future.

fogducker III
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I know you're a salt water guy, and I see you're mixing metals. If you go with a bronze ball-valve for the shut-off it would lead to less corrosion problems in the future.

Electrolosis is my enemy....:yes:

The ball valve is actually all stainless, the Perko bronze strainer is mounted on a stainless bracket with zinc "spacers" that can be changed out... :wink:

I am thinking about running a ground wire from the transom assembly to the strainer as well.....the leg/transom assembly etc is somewhat protected by the Mercathode system......:crossfing:

gcarter
01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Electrolosis is my enemy....:yes:

The ball valve is actually all stainless, the Perko bronze strainer is mounted on a stainless bracket with zinc "spacers" that can be changed out... :wink:

I am thinking about running a ground wire from the transom assembly to the strainer as well.....the leg/transom assembly etc is somewhat protected by the Mercathode system......:crossfing:

I think you're OK w/the SST ball valve as SST and bronze are close to each other on the galvanic nobility scale. I wouldn't worry about it.
You do need the ground wire.
MOP made a suggestion of mounting a pencil anode in the lid, just drill and tap it. You can change it once a year. Easy to do there too.

fogducker III
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I think you're OK w/the SST ball valve as SST and bronze are close to each other on the galvanic nobility scale. I wouldn't worry about it.
You do need the ground wire.
MOP made a suggestion of mounting a pencil anode in the lid, just drill and tap it. You can change it once a year. Easy to do there too.

Thanks George, and MOP, and Zelatore.........I totally agree, I need to watch for the metal corrosion...........:yes:

A pencil zinc/anode is a great idea, I even have some kicking around that I can use....:wink:

Next problem is my fuel pick-up.....line from the engine to tank is 1/2" but it then goes to a 3/8 fitting with a shut off, to a 3/8 screened pick-up tube....:confused:

I plan on removing the shut off valve and installing a 1/2 elbow with a 1/2 tube pick-up with a screen in the bottom.....see any problems..???

gcarter
01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I reccomend this Aeroquip USCG approved fire resistant hose.
http://www.aeroquip.cc/fc234-05aqphightempfuelandoilfireresistantuscgmmtnmmabia fc234-5.aspx
Go half way down the page and note the ID.......-8 is less than 1/2" ID.
You need the -10 hose and very careful selection of end fittings.

Do the hexes on the tank top come out?

gcarter
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Did you see this picture?
It's all 1/2", ball valve, filter, tubing, fittings, all except the pump......but it still has a higher output than the filter capacity. I guess you can't have everything.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60491&stc=1&d=1293229848

zelatore
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks George, and MOP, and Zelatore.........I totally agree, I need to watch for the metal corrosion...........:yes:

A pencil zinc/anode is a great idea, I even have some kicking around that I can use....:wink:

Next problem is my fuel pick-up.....line from the engine to tank is 1/2" but it then goes to a 3/8 fitting with a shut off, to a 3/8 screened pick-up tube....:confused:

I plan on removing the shut off valve and installing a 1/2 elbow with a 1/2 tube pick-up with a screen in the bottom.....see any problems..???

Yes, I need to do this as well - new from the pick-up to the pump. Trouble is limited space, both for the inlet and to run the hose. Last time, I just sort of ignored it with an 'I'll get to that later' note.

fogducker III
01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I reccomend this Aeroquip USCG approved fire resistant hose.
http://www.aeroquip.cc/fc234-05aqphightempfuelandoilfireresistantuscgmmtnmmabia fc234-5.aspx
Go half way down the page and note the ID.......-8 is less than 1/2" ID.
You need the -10 hose and very careful selection of end fittings.

Do the hexes on the tank top come out?

That is the problem George, the fitting at the tank does not come out and is fixed, there is a 3/8, perhaps 7/16 ID hole, but a 1/2" + thread.... then the pick-up is a 3-8th tube......:rolleyes:

fogducker III
01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, I need to do this as well - new from the pick-up to the pump. Trouble is limited space, both for the inlet and to run the hose. Last time, I just sort of ignored it with an 'I'll get to that later' note.

`Guest House` is set up awaiting your arrival.....:biggrin.:

PS. Hope you eat seafood...............:orcawhale:

gcarter
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
That is the problem George, the fitting at the tank does not come out and is fixed, there is a 3/8, perhaps 7/16 ID hole, but a 1/2" + thread.... then the pick-up is a 3-8th tube......:rolleyes:

I just ordered my tank. I requested 1/2" pickup and a 3/8" return, even though I don't need the return.
Someone may appreciate it someday! :biggrin.: