PDA

View Full Version : pop up cleats

Zinger
01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Are alot of people using pop up cleats, I would like to install a set but what to make sure they will hold up without any problems.

gcarter
01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Don't worry about them. The Accon cleats are virtually indestructable.
The 6" models are good for a lot of applications.
eBay is a good source. Typically, the 6" cleats are about $80.00 each, but I bought one recently for $27.00.

Just be patient.

Marvair
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Attwood makes the ones for the Shelby Donzi and only require two holes, two VERRY large holes for the pop-up machanism. I installed a pair forward of the wind screen. I also made a stainless backing plate for additional reinforcement, which I found out later they sell and would reccomnd. They are durable and look great.:yes:

Marvin.

zelatore
01-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Big fan - installed 4 on my 22; two at the back in place of the stock cleats and two at the base of the windshield.

Not a probelm yet.

CHACHI
01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Attwood makes the ones for the Shelby Donzi and only require two holes, two VERRY large holes for the pop-up machanism. I installed a pair forward of the wind screen. I also made a stainless backing plate for additional reinforcement, which I found out later they sell and would reccomnd. They are durable and look great.:yes:

Marvin.

Have these on my 22, they are pull up, not pop up.

Work very well.

Ken

Rumblefish
01-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Marvin.
They are great..just added them to mine.( my 1987 had no cleats)

Note :.add the backing plates!

Greg Guimond
01-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Interesting, any opinions on whether the Attwoods or the Accon's are higher quality?

mike o
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Pull ups you drill 2 holes. Pop ups, require some delicate surgery. There are really good install threads on the site, if you search.........:cool!:

gcarter
01-05-2011, 08:40 AM
The Accons do require a cutout. The backing plate comes w/the cleat and is used as a template for the cutout.
These things are very stout. The springs are very strong and definately make a statement when they pop up.

Sweet Cheekz
01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Lower maintenence to use the pull ups if you boat is in salt water. You have to stay on the oiling if they hit salt alot.
Both are great quality

Parnell

Inferno
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
I have three 6 " pop up cleats that I have left over. Call me and I'll make you a deal. I was just going to put them on ebay as they are new .I got them from Marinepart depot and they were $72.00 on sale for $30.00. I like them better than the accorn as there no screws on top. Stan 404-406-4700

hot shot
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I love them and the bling is awsome:pimp:

VetteLT193
01-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I like the look of the pop ups a lot more than the pull ups. the pop ups are basically flat when down. the pull ups are above the deck, but smooth enough to not snag a rope.

I had pop ups on the Minx and now on my 28 ZX. They work great.

Sweet little 16
01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
on a smaller boat I like the pop up folding cleat no cutting and no water issues a 3.5 or 4.5 is plenty

MOP
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Lower maintenence to use the pull ups if you boat is in salt water. You have to stay on the oiling if they hit salt alot.
Both are great quality

Parnell

Parnell no sweat in salt they are S/S springs and all, mine are five years old and are like the day I bought them no maintenance required at all.

Phil

Marvair
01-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Have these on my 22, they are pull up, not pop up.

Work very well.

Ken

You are absolutely correct....and work well with zero corrosion in salt water.

Marvin.

Fishermanjm
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Who makes the pull up model ur talkin about??? Do u run
your boat in the salt??? I will be running my classic in salt water
how long do u flush it for after use??? Do u have any pics
of them on the boat? One more question for u
how about bow chocks???

MOP
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Who makes the pull up model ur talkin about??? Do u run
your boat in the salt??? I will be running my classic in salt water
how long do u flush it for after use??? Do u have any pics
of them on the boat? One more question for u
how about bow chocks???

Pop Ups work perfectly in salt water, they are 100% S/S absolutely no problems or maintenance, Mine have been on mine five years! The SALT fear is bogus!!!!!!!!!!

KRAVEN
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Donzi installed pop ups on my 2002 classic and they have been trouble free

gcarter
01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Yes to what MOP said.
The cleats that are on the TR are 17 years old and I removed them for restoration. They work perfectly. They move up and down freely.

Greg Guimond
01-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Any pics of both on 16's ?

Bobby D
01-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Boat is a 1972, added two pop-up cleats to the rear deck in the location of the current models. They work perfectly and were use in salt water, agree with Mop they are 100% S/S with absolutely no problems or maintenance. I believe they been on the boat at least five years.

Greg Guimond
01-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks a lot Bobby. Which one's are those and how much would it cost to have those scoops recast? Those are SHARP !! ... !!! :yes:

Tony
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I've got two Attwood 6" flush mount pull-up cleats if you are interested.
Shoot me an e-mail me and we can discuss the details...

:cool!:

Conquistador_del_mar
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't know how many people have seen the SS pop up cleats I installed on my Eliminator about 15 years ago, but everyone seems to get a kick out of hitting the release button and hearing the resounding thud . A few have been caught offguard as they wanted to know what the little button did- :eek:. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that they leak water so you don't want to use a power washer on them if they are located over a cabin - not that there are much worries about that with most Donzis - :yes:. Bill

roadtrip se
01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't know how many people have seen the SS pop up cleats I installed on my Eliminator about 15 years ago, but everyone seems to get a kick out of hitting the release button and hearing the resounding thud . A few have been caught offguard as they wanted to know what the little button did- :eek:. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that they leak water so you don't want to use a power washer on them if they are located over a cabin - not that there are much worries about that with most Donzis - :yes:. Bill

As stated here already, I like the flush look of the pop-ups. They have been on my Classic since the summer of 2002 with no issues. I did seal the exposed fiberglass when I mounted them.

I don't like the "thud", because I intend to have this boat a long time and I am worried about an inexperienced hand cracking the gel. Probably an unwarranted concern, but for this reason, only Jill or I pop these cleats, as you can put your hand over them as they come up to keep them from popping so hard.

Secondly, there are drain tubes available for them. Mine are plumbed to the bilge in the front, so I don't water gauges, wiring, and such with an inadvertent splash.

You don't even see them when they are down, as I mounted them with no bezels, preserving the lines of the boat. The boat looks like it has less hardware on it than a standard boat with the stock cleats on the back.

All good.

gcarter
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks a lot Bobby. Which one's are those and how much would it cost to have those scoops recast? Those are SHARP !! ... !!! :yes:

Eugene Nawhemo (sp?) had several sets cast about 5 years ago and they were several hundred each????????
Anyway, a lot! But if you like it, it's worth it.

Bobby D
01-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks Greg my 1972 18 2+3 was refurbished and re-powered in 2001 and is far from original however the deck vents with "Donzi" logo are original to the boat. I did have the vents re-chromed about two years ago.

LeadSledMerc
01-08-2011, 07:28 AM
As stated here already, I like the flush look of the pop-ups. They have been on my Classic since the summer of 2002 with no issues. I did seal the exposed fiberglass when I mounted them.

You don't even see them when they are down, as I mounted them with no bezels, preserving the lines of the boat. The boat looks like it has less hardware on it than a standard boat with the stock cleats on the back.

All good.
Can you post a few pics of your's, I'd like to see how they look without the bezel...it sounds like a cool install to keep the lines!

gcarter
01-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Can you post a few pics of your's, I'd like to see how they look without the bezel...it sounds like a cool install to keep the lines!

Look at #22, no bezels.