PDA

View Full Version : My old Minx and other things

gcarter
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Dan Weaver, who bought my Minx 3-1/2 years ago, bought a 56' Matthews and is having it re-fitted in Miami.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60667&stc=1&d=1294165311

At the same time, he has his 40' Trojan for sale,

www.propperlady.com (http://www.propperlady.com)

if anyone is interested.

donzi racer
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
George, is that the Weavers with all the Donzi's in Maine? Happy New Year All!

gcarter
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
George, is that the Weavers with all the Donzi's in Maine? Happy New Year All!

Nope, Dan and Joyce live in SC and have all kinds of boats including, currently, three motor yachts.

zelatore
01-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Perhaps not the prettiest thing Mathews ever launched, but still a pedigree hull.

Any info? Glass or wood?

gcarter
01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
No, he didn't say.

sweet 16 1966
01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
George, I wonder if he has put many hours on the Minx? Can't wait to see your current one!

gcarter
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
George, I wonder if he has put many hours on the Minx? Can't wait to see your current one!

I don't think he uses it a lot. He said he had to repair the outdrive last year.
Come on by any time, you know where my shop is.

bertsboat
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
That's a glass Matthews. I have owned several Matthews boats. Two were wood and one was Glass.
I would like to have one again someday but the clock it ticking if you know what I mean. Too many boats and not enough boating days.

The Hedgehog
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
What all is he doing in the refit?

zelatore
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM

What, worried about a little competition?:wink:

gcarter
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM

I know he bought a Whaler for it.

The Hedgehog
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
What, worried about a little competition?:wink:

Hey man, I would not want anyone to feel more important than me!:pimp:

Nah, I just like to see what folks are doing with similar vintage boats. I checked out an early 70's Trumpy at the Annapolis boat show. Not that I have a Trumpy but the boats from that era all have similar rigging. I learned a good bit from that one.

A glass Matthews vs a Derektor Roamer? Hmm, he needs a bridge, custom aft deck enclosure from Broward, ship anchor and a few more feet before I start to feel inadequate. LOL. I don't care if he does have a dry stack!

The Hedgehog
01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I know he bought a Whaler for it.

Good call.

I want to retro-fit a synch. I think it will be a pita but worth it.

zelatore
01-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Good call.

I want to retro-fit a synch. I think it will be a pita but worth it.

Do you have old type 33 cable controls? If so, and you've got the extra coin, consider going to a full electronic control. You can add extra stations wherever you want easily (cockpit, wing station for docking, etc) and they'll adapt to syncronizers fairly easy usually. Granted, I haven't tried installing them on older mechanical diesels, but how hard can it be?:wink:

zelatore
01-05-2011, 12:49 AM
A glass Matthews vs a Derektor Roamer? Hmm, he needs a bridge, custom aft deck enclosure from Broward, ship anchor and a few more feet before I start to feel inadequate. LOL. I don't care if he does have a dry stack!

And I'm not sure, but I think that dry stack is a fake...don't see any actual exhausts coming out it, and it looks like I can see a wet exhaust exiting under the swim step.

The Hedgehog
01-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Do you have old type 33 cable controls? If so, and you've got the extra coin, consider going to a full electronic control. You can add extra stations wherever you want easily (cockpit, wing station for docking, etc) and they'll adapt to syncronizers fairly easy usually. Granted, I haven't tried installing them on older mechanical diesels, but how hard can it be?:wink:

They are. They have a good bit of spring pressure. How much would that take?. I am always up for a cool idea

The Trumpy had those

gcarter
01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Is Glendinning still the name in synchronisers?

Years ago, I did a lot of design work on a geophysical research truck.
For running a gen set off the front crankshaft PTO, this 6-71 had a marine governor. It was as stiff as all get out. I know the drivers hated to drive it.
So, how do you overcome that.

BUIZILLA
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
For running a gen set off the front crankshaft PTO, this 6-71 had a marine governor. It was as stiff as all get out. I know the drivers hated to drive it. So, how do you overcome that. longer throttle lever :cool:

gcarter
01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
longer throttle lever :cool:

Duh! :bonk:

The Hedgehog
01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Is Glendinning still the name in synchronisers?

Years ago, I did a lot of design work on a geophysical research truck.
For running a gen set off the front crankshaft PTO, this 6-71 had a marine governor. It was as stiff as all get out. I know the drivers hated to drive it.
So, how do you overcome that.

Pretty much everything I have driven with a sync has a Glendinning.

My 1271's have a nice heavy throttle too. Tex's 8-71's are nice and soft. Same controls as my upper helm.

zelatore
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
longer throttle lever :cool:

Heavier foot...

George, Glendinning is still in the game to be sure. Probalby the best know guys out there.

Hedge,

How many stations would you want? Just two? They don't exactly give the stuff away, but I could see what I can get. The install isn't that hard - pulling the wires from the engine room to the flybridge is probably the toughest part

gcarter
01-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I asked Dan for some more input and permission to share it.
Here's what he said and a few pictures to boot;

"It is a 1973 Matthews 56' Voyager. Glass hull, wood house. I tried to buy it in 2005 but missed out. The new owner died of cancer suddenly in the fall of 09 and it came back on the market at a more favorable number. Repowered in 1999 with Mack turbo diesels at 650HP each. Runs 23 mph WOT. Not bad for a 68,000# boat. She is stabilized and rides like a Minx.

We are refitting with new canvas, paint on the house, new windows in the salon, new furniture, drapes, carpet, etc. This is the last go round for me. I have attached survey photos taken in July 10. The goofy davits on the back are gone and we resurrected the original wood mast and scrapped that white pipe mast. All new Garmin nav stuff also.

I am putting a new davit on the house to launch the 11' Whaler which will ride in chocks towards the rear of the upper house. Lots of work, but should be a doll when she is finished. "

Cheers,
Dan

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60722&stc=1&d=1294361815

The Hedgehog
01-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Don, two stations. If you have a line on them and can get a number for me, I may be in.

GCarger, thanks for posting. I love my boat but see things I like in most boats of that era. Good info. Some will help in my cockpit refit.