PDA

View Full Version : donzi towing

tylerc
01-02-2011, 07:28 PM
what's everyone towing their 16 with? I'm thinking about a 4 cylinder SUV for the wife, but will it be enough to move my (non-existent) toy (if/when I get it)?

MOP
01-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I towed my 16 with a 4 banger D50 Dodge PU three years with no sweat, had to give it up when I bought the 22!

Phil

Donzi Vol
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
tyler, first off, the word is WHEN you get your toy! You'll find the right one at the right time.

As for a tow vehicle, you're gonna get a TON of different opinions on the topic. All are good thoughts, but you'll just need to decide what is best for your application.

As for my 2 cents, I would go ahead and get something capable of pulling at least an 18. I see you're looking for a 16, but if you find the right 18 you won't want to be hindered by your tow vehicle. I just bought a Pathfinder and am thrilled with it. It tows my 18 great, and is capable of pulling a 22 should I need to.

I might as well go ahead and open the pandora's box that is 4wd vs. 2wd. My vote is strongly for 4wd. I've been in more than one dicey situation where a 2wd wouldn't have done the trick on a slippery ramp.

Good luck!
-David

zelatore
01-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents, although I haven't towed a 16 - I don't even know what it would weigh.

My personal opinion is whatever vehicle you choose, over-do it if you plan to tow more than a bare minimum. Let's say the boat and trailer weigh in at 3000 lbs fueled and loaded. You don't want a tow rig with a 3000 lb tow rating. 3500 might be OK. 4000 would be better. Factory tow ratings are always optimisic in my opinion.

Consider the average small SUV pulling onto the freeway. Not exactly a rocket ship to start with. Now saddle it with a ton or two of extra weight and trying to reach merging speed will feel like an eternity. Picture doing this while a string of approaching traffic bears down on you at 75 mph+

On the other end, let's suppose you're driving a small SUV, something the size of a CRV or Rav4 (I have no idea what you're actually interested in) that's maxed out on it's tow rating and some jerk cuts you off at an intersection. When the trailer outweighs the car, how do you think it will respond? Even with trailer brakes? How about if you get your tongue weights a bit off and start to get a sway in a strong cross wind at about 70 mph on the interstate - how's that small short wheelbase SUV going to feel?

Again, I confess I've never towed a 16. I've towed smaller (my dinghy) and bigger. I always prefer to over-do it on tow rig. I'm not saying you need a full-size truck, but I'd stay away from the absolute minimum.

I bet somebody on here would recomend a Murano.....:wink:

And like DV said - you don't want your tow rig to stand in the way of bigger and better future boats, do you?

osur866
01-02-2011, 10:55 PM
My 2500 HD with the 8.1/Allison trans. Pulls my 18 4000-5000 miles a year pretty nicely. Like mentioned above, buy something that will handle something bigger that will make those longer pulls more enjoyable. Steve

DannyK
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I bought my 16 at end of season and had it delivered, so I'm only hoping my daily drver will do the job, temporarily, come springtime. Its a V6 VW Eurovan camper with 200 hp and limited slip. I'm lucky to have a nice gently sloping concrete launch ramp only 5 miles away. I'm restoring a 1965 Ranchero this winter to be the tow vehicle. Its got a 302/automatic and will have limited slip and rear air bags plus I'm adding front disc brakes. I will be painting the Ranchero to match the boat (red) and the car and trailer will have matching wheels. I think they'll look great together in a "period correct" kinda way. Okay, I'm not helping at all, just sayin'....

gcarter
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Don Tamm towed his 18 w/a Dodge Magnum w/the standard tow package. He lives in CO, so it had to work in all kinds of conditions. I know he towed 1000's/year.

zelatore
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
My 2500 HD with the 8.1/Allison trans. Pulls my 18 4000-5000 miles a year pretty nicely.

yeah, I bet it does! Might be a tad overkill for the guy, but what the heck!

Don Tamm towed his 18 w/a Dodge Magnum w/the standard tow package. He lives in CO, so it had to work in all kinds of conditions. I know he towed 1000's/year.

I've never considered the Magnum, but with the 5.7 Hemi and a fairly long wheelbase I bet it would do pretty good with a 16 or 18. I bet you can pick one up pretty reasonably as well. Plus you wouldn't look like every other joker at the ramp with just another pickup or SUV. Sounds pretty cool. My only concern might be the rear end - don't know if it's available with a limited slip or not though I would hope so.

Craig S
01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
A friend tows his 18&20' inboards with a Magnum. No problem. Another tows his 21' inboard Chris with ... a minivan!

Tim Morris
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I bet somebody on here would recomend a Murano.....:wink:

You betcha! I've been pulling a 20' Minx with a Murano since 2003.
Works so well, I just updated to a 2010 unit.

But then again, you knew I'd say something like that.

Just Say N20
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
My only concern might be the rear end - don't know if it's available with a limited slip or not though I would hope so.

I have a 2005 RWD Magnum with the HEMI. It has limited slip (it makes two, nice parallel lines on the road when you turn off the ESP and hammer it :yes: ).

I towed my 16 home in March 2008, over 700 miles, from northeast of Albany, NY to Grand Rapids, MI, including through a snow storm. It pulled beautifully. I averaged around 17 mpg towing at 73 mph.

The Magnum/HEMI has the added benefit of being fun to drive when not towing.

joseph m. hahnl
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
If your pulling in the flat lands then a healthy 4 would probably work well with great fuel economy. If your in mountain country or plan on going to high elevation lakes like Winni or Lake George you might want a little more muscle.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhFYYh9eK26geKcimpohg6tlW9vXFXu-UAv9W_aV3IWkSZ2RhK

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF4djIuNmsk14JjIB2JUPBU-IEYtYfJhBWWa0oSRiUfbFiDi16

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4FllUDykOVStW4UYpPvlVZ_slq0nyb VhS87QlGJI_A3w7Nv3K

zelatore
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Since the original post was regarding small 4-cylinder SUVs I decided to do some digging around various manufacturer's websites. Here's what I found listed as the max towing capacity for some of them. When a second number is shown, that's for a V6 version of the same car.

Honda CRV 1500 lbs
Toyota RAV4 1500 (3500)
VW Tiguan 2200
Mazda CX7 Turbo 2000
Mazda Tribute 1500 (3450)
Nissan Rouge 2000
Ford Escape 1500 (3000)
Chevy Equinox 1500 (3000)

And just for fun-
Nissan Murano V6 CVT 3500

This is presented without any of my personal bias about the individual cars. :wink: As they say, 'Just the facts, ma'am'

Keep in mind, most of these are front wheel drive with an awd or 4wd option. On a rwd SUV/car/truck with a limited slip diff, I wouldn't feel the need for 4wd/awd. But I wouldn't even consider front wheel drive as it will be a nightmare trying to get up a ramp with the front end unweighted by a trailer. Of course, going to the awd/4wd option on these usually reduces towing capacity slightly, so bear that in mind.

Looking over these numbers, I don't see ANY 4 cyl here that I would tow with. Even if I lived in Kansas.

I'm not sure why the OP had a 4-cyl in mind, or if that was just an off the top of the head comment. But from looking at these numbers it's obvious you'd want to move up to a V6. At that point there are plenty of options that can handle a small C16 with ease - just pick your flavor.

BTW, I know it's a long way from a 4 cyl SUV, but the Magnum still scores the cool points from where I stand!

Greg Guimond
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, you could always do what I do and tow with a rag top. Kills the numbers above if you only want to carry four people max. Front wheel drive, enough torque to rip the wheels out of your hands, 23MPG towing and 28 cruising and bought all day long in mint condition for $10k.

Drum roll ........

2002 Saab Viggen Convertible - 2.3 Turbo
230HP
258TQ
With Factory Hitch Rated at 3300lbs

Pulls "The Mule" better then my 05 Excursion :cool::yes:

zelatore
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Well, you could always do what I do and tow with a rag top. Kills the numbers above if you only want to carry four people max. Front wheel drive, enough torque to rip the wheels out of your hands, 23MPG towing and 28 cruising and bought all day long in mint condition for $10k.

Drum roll ........

2002 Saab Viggen Convertible - 2.3 Turbo
230HP
258TQ
With Factory Hitch Rated at 3300lbs

Pulls "The Mule" better then my 05 Excursion :cool::yes:

Having owned a turbo Saab for a while (not the Viggen though - pretty cool car) I should say that's torque STEER, not just torque... Those things have a mind of their own when the boost comes on.

3300 lbs though - wow, I can't imagine it. It's not the power, but the fact that it's still a fairly light fwd car.

You do get style points though! Heck, just knowing what a Viggen is is worth something in my book.

GBond
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
You can pull and launch a 16c with a Toyota 2wd p/u comfortability/safe without an issue.

zelatore
01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
You can pull and launch a 16c with a Toyota 2wd p/u comfortability/safe without an issue.

I didn't look at any trucks; I was simply looking at things the OP had asked about. Namely 4 cyl SUVs.

I wasn't even sure Toyota offered a 4-cyl in it's small truck any more, but checking the website, I see they do.

curb weight (dry?) 3250
Tow rating 3500
GCWR 7500

Thats with a 2.7l 4 cyl. 159 hp/180 lb-ft.

Of course, that's a body-on-frame truck, not a unibody SUV.

And I bet looking at those power figures it's not exactly a rocket in the passing lane...or up more than a 1% grade.

But it should do the job. Of course, the V6 would do it better. :wink:

On a related note, I wonder if the V6 option, when both a 4 and 6 are offered in the same vehicle, wouldn't return better mileage when towing since it would be able to pull a higher gear/turn lower RPM to maintain highway speeds. i.e. it might pull 4th or 5th when the smaller engine would need 3rd. Seems highly likely. At least if you're like me and don't believe you should have to slow to a crawl just because you're towing.

GBond
01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
good points

Greg Guimond
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
If its rear wheel drive I would not bother. Get a steep ramp and a lower tide and you'll really be burning rubber ... sideways. The Viggen WILL rip the wheel right out of your hands if you are not paying attention. That said, 258lbs of torque is pretty impressive out of a motor that can get 30MPG at 70 on cruise control. I often launch the little boat out of a steep ramp location. Into 1st, get off the clutch and let the fronts claw up the ramp then onto the hiway and no problem merging into traffic with The Mule on the back. :convertib:

gcarter
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Has anyone seen FWD vehicles, like a minivan, w/a hitch on the front?
I saw one years ago and it seemed to work pretty good.
Obviously, he really only used it that way to recover his boat, then park it and turn around.

Greg Guimond
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I have a front hitch on my Excursion but not on my Viggen :wink:

BobinCovington
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Here is what I use...it has a shorter wheelbase but works great for our little 16. Whatever you use, I highly recommend being diligent about keeping up with your oil changes, tune ups, belts hoses, antifreeze and checking tires, (all common sense stuff) plus use good oil in your tow rig (and your boat)

zelatore
01-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Here is what I use...it has a shorter wheelbase but works great for our little 16.

Mitsu?

zelatore
01-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Has anyone seen FWD vehicles, like a minivan, w/a hitch on the front?
I saw one years ago and it seemed to work pretty good.
Obviously, he really only used it that way to recover his boat, then park it and turn around.

Haven't seen it on a minivan, but in the late 70's another family we used to camp and boat with had a front hitch on their pickup that they used to launch the boat. They had a good size slide-in camper in the back of the truck (mid 70's F250 I think, but I was a kid back then so take that with a grain of salt) and about a 17' boat they towed behind it. When they got to the launch ramp at the camp ground (land between the lakes for you KY guys) they'd unhook, turn the truck around, and hook the trailer to the front. Then the wife would 'push' the boat down the ramp with the husband on-board and he'd drive away while she backed up the ramp and unhooked the trailer.

Seems a little complicated, but I recall them having it down pretty smoothly. I always enjoy seeing a couple hit the ramp with a well-rehearsed routine instead of the usual bumbling around, swearing at each other, and generally taking up the whole place for way too long. I don't know if the wife couldn't back up a trailer or if maybe it was just too much of a PITA since she likely couldn't see much/any of the boat out the side mirrors of the truck since the camper was pretty big.

Later, my father bought a slightly bigger boat and RV than they had. They never went camping with us again!

BUIZILLA
01-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Mitsu?
GX470 Lexus

Donzi Vol
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Here is what I use...it has a shorter wheelbase but works great for our little 16. Whatever you use, I highly recommend being diligent about keeping up with your oil changes, tune ups, belts hoses, antifreeze and checking tires, (all common sense stuff) plus use good oil in your tow rig (and your boat)

That boat is so cool. Love the eaton swivel o/d

HIGH LIFE
01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I use a JEEP GRAND CHOROKEE has the 4.0 L , no problem at all. "HIGH LIFE"

HIGH LIFE
01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Forgot to add 16 DONZI O/B 200 Mariner, obviously lighter than the I/O. "HIGH LIFE"

GBond
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Anyone want to school the board on what the various tow vehicles were

from '66 through...say '76? Be kinda fun...

zelatore
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
GX470 Lexus

Crap....shoulda looked at more than the thumbnail. Now I feel like a fool. Oh well, not the first time :bonk:

I'm no Toyota fan, but I have to give credit where it's due - the Land Cruiser/GX are pretty capable machines. Even pretty good looking too. And amazingly, not Giagantor Sized.

zelatore
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
what's everyone towing their 16 with? I'm thinking about a 4 cylinder SUV for the wife, but will it be enough to move my (non-existent) toy (if/when I get it)?

We're all running on at the mouth here - but where's our OP Tylerc?

I think we've decided a 4-cyl SUV would be a bit short of your needs for any notable towing. What are your thoughts?

Or are you just loitering in the background watching us spin off into the weeds? Better be careful, or we'll have you in an F350 dually pretty soon!

Greg Guimond
01-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Poor guy got scared off.........

No dually here, next move is a VW R32 tow vehicle with hidden hitch :eek:

tylerc
01-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Since the original post was regarding small 4-cylinder SUVs I decided to do some digging around various manufacturer's websites. Here's what I found listed as the max towing capacity for some of them. When a second number is shown, that's for a V6 version of the same car.

Honda CRV 1500 lbs
Toyota RAV4 1500 (3500)
VW Tiguan 2200
Mazda CX7 Turbo 2000
Mazda Tribute 1500 (3450)
Nissan Rouge 2000
Ford Escape 1500 (3000)
Chevy Equinox 1500 (3000)

And just for fun-
Nissan Murano V6 CVT 3500

This is presented without any of my personal bias about the individual cars. :wink: As they say, 'Just the facts, ma'am'

Keep in mind, most of these are front wheel drive with an awd or 4wd option. On a rwd SUV/car/truck with a limited slip diff, I wouldn't feel the need for 4wd/awd. But I wouldn't even consider front wheel drive as it will be a nightmare trying to get up a ramp with the front end unweighted by a trailer. Of course, going to the awd/4wd option on these usually reduces towing capacity slightly, so bear that in mind.

Looking over these numbers, I don't see ANY 4 cyl here that I would tow with. Even if I lived in Kansas.

I'm not sure why the OP had a 4-cyl in mind, or if that was just an off the top of the head comment. But from looking at these numbers it's obvious you'd want to move up to a V6. At that point there are plenty of options that can handle a small C16 with ease - just pick your flavor.

BTW, I know it's a long way from a 4 cyl SUV, but the Magnum still scores the cool points from where I stand!

I had a 4 cyl in mind simply because of price if I could get away with it...clearly a 6 is going to be the minimum...

Anyone know the weights of the 16, 18, 22 off hand?

tylerc
01-06-2011, 06:42 PM
We're all running on at the mouth here - but where's our OP Tylerc?

I think we've decided a 4-cyl SUV would be a bit short of your needs for any notable towing. What are your thoughts?

Or are you just loitering in the background watching us spin off into the weeds? Better be careful, or we'll have you in an F350 dually pretty soon!

LOL - sorry guys, didn't get round to viewing for a few days. I didn't think I would get much input to be honest. This is great info, and from what you're all saying I think I should find a 1999 Hyundai Accent - or am I mistaken?? ;)

Actually, now I remember why I was asking about a 4cyl...I like the subaru forester (and so does the wife)...the 2009 and 2010 ones are a nice small SUV. She RARELY drives, and that would be a good size for her, and had hoped it would be sufficient for towing a 16 (if I'm ever able to get one!)

gcarter
01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Poor guy got scared off.........

No dually here, next move is a VW R32 tow vehicle with hidden hitch :eek:

Speaking of hidden hithces, I read the Dodge Magnum's hitch is completely hidden behind the bumper and consists of a receiver that's vertical and part of the bumper support. The hitch is bent 90* and emerges from under the bumper when it's installed.

zelatore
01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Speaking of hidden hithces, I read the Dodge Magnum's hitch is completely hidden behind the bumper and consists of a receiver that's vertical and part of the bumper support. The hitch is bent 90* and emerges from under the bumper when it's installed.

I saw a lot of small cars with hitches like that while in Austria and Germany. Looks a little funny when it's installed, but you can't see a thing when it's out. Of course, most of these were towing small little utility trailers.

As for the Subaru, I like it but from what I can find it looks like it's only rated for 2400 lbs, even with the turbo motor. I think that's more a reflection of the unibody design than the power as it out-powers most of the small SUVs listed above.

Greg Guimond
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
That is used often in Europe, pretty efficient. If you can find an Audi Allroad in year 2001 or 2002 they came with a vertical factory hitch set up but they are VERY rare.

Why do you feel you need a truck to pull a 16? Just curious.

zelatore
01-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't see that he needs a truck specifically, but I would think something a little stouter than the afore-mentioned 4-cyl SUVs would be in order, especially as he's talked about moving to an 18 or 22 in the future.

BTW - what is the weight of a loaded 16? I'm guessing around 2800-3000 lbs? If that's the case, I'd be looking for something rated closer to 3500. Most factory ratings look good in the brochure but feel a bit much out on the freeway trying to get up a hill.

Based on the idea of wanting a small vehicle, I'd look at something in a small 6-cyl SUV. In the Subaru family, I think the Tribeca has a rating around 3000 or a bit more. Or something like the Murano or Rav4 V6 would also be a compact vehicle with a bit more punch.