PDA

View Full Version : redoing donzi

DAULEY
12-31-2010, 04:11 PM
when redoing a donzi is it best to keep the color the same????????

DAULEY
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
picture

DannyK
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
You just can't beat RED !

Rumblefish
12-31-2010, 05:23 PM
picture

It would depend on what your trying to achieve.. Restoration or Custom... I read alot on this forum about certain Donzi models that are rare and some that have been duplicated and taken the specialness away (I:E specail editions and anniversary models).

It would matter only to you in the end. I would color it with your look so every time you look at her you say.. Wow!

Oh and red is cool!!

DAULEY
12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
im toying with the thought of yellow to match the x18
just a thuoght
never saw a yellow critter

LKSD
01-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes, I agree it would depend on the nature of the project boat. If the boat is unique and somewhat sought after, I would look to keep as much originality as possible. At least with the big stuff... By that I mean nothing that cant be pretty easily and inexpensively changed back..

There are certain liberties though that you can usually get away with. Things like proper power upgrades & re-powering.

To answer your question more directly. My opinion would be on the critter to keep the color set original or close to original. There are not a lot of them & originality with it certainly wont hurt you if you ever decided to part with it. Besides, who doesn't like Red Donzis... lol.. :)

If it were any other run of the mill standard classic without special edition or limited edition status then I would say a color change would be no big deal at all..

Regardless of my opinion, what someone decides to paint their boat is their business. And in that regard I would just recommend that if they deviate that it is done properly and tastefully. :)

Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

BTW. Did you make the plunge & decide to grab this one? I think you and I briefly discussed some things about this boat a few days ago.. :) J

joseph m. hahnl
01-01-2011, 10:36 AM
I say: paint versus gel. If you use paint and you get a scratch from the dock or trailer "And you will" you will see a a nice red line. If you use gel takes a bit more to uncover the old color

DAULEY
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, I agree it would depend on the nature of the project boat. If the boat is unique and somewhat sought after, I would look to keep as much originality as possible. At least with the big stuff... By that I mean nothing that cant be pretty easily and inexpensively changed back..
There are certain liberties though that you can usually get away with. Things like proper power upgrades & re-powering.
To answer your question more directly. My opinion would be on the critter to keep the color set original or close to original. There are not a lot of them & originality with it certainly wont hurt you if you ever decided to part with it. Besides, who doesn't like Red Donzis... lol.. :)
If it were any other run of the mill standard classic without special edition or limited edition status then I would say a color change would be no big deal at all..
Regardless of my opinion, what someone decides to paint their boat is their business. And in that regard I would just recommend that if they deviate that it is done properly and tastefully. :)
Hope this helps.. :) Jamie / Lakeside
BTW. Did you make the plunge & decide to grab this one? I think you and I briefly discussed some things about this boat a few days ago.. :) J

no you didnt talk to me maybe brad lyon he had shown some intrest

LKSD
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes you are correct.. Sorry for the confusion.. Still worth doing & worth doing right tho.. :) :) Jamie / Lakeside

Conquistador_del_mar
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
im toying with the thought of yellow to match the x18
just a thuoght
never saw a yellow critter

Too cool - you still have the original Rocket trailer under the X18. Here is my 1971 18' 2+3 on the modified original Rocket. Bill

DAULEY
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
very nice i like the bunks and the second axel

DAULEY
01-15-2011, 09:13 AM
going all white color can be added anytime

Conquistador_del_mar
01-15-2011, 11:04 AM
very nice i like the bunks and the second axel

The first owner that I bought the boat from in 1973 added the second axle. The bunks were added by another owner along the way before I bought it back after seeing it for sale 3 years ago. I know all the previous owners personally.

going all white color can be added anytime

Yep, adding a hull color later would be relatively easy, but it seems like less work to do it when you do the restoration - all at once. Just my thoughts. Bill

yeller
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm a firm believer in doing whatever you want to your own boat. Boats just don't have the same collectible status and value increase as cars; especially fiberglass boats. You could flame it and I highly doubt it would decrease in value. Maybe to a few on this site, but I would be willing to bet it could even sell for more. Most people look at a boat for what it is.........a boat (and does it fit their needs/wants). I bet it's a pretty rare occurrence that someone spots a Critter and even knows what it is. I don't think originality plays much of role in fiberglass boat prices.

A nice clean mildly customized boat is going to get you as much money as a nice clean stock boat.

DAULEY
01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm a firm believer in doing whatever you want to your own boat. Boats just don't have the same collectible status and value increase as cars; especially fiberglass boats. You could flame it and I highly doubt it would decrease in value. Maybe to a few on this site, but I would be willing to bet it could even sell for more. Most people look at a boat for what it is.........a boat (and does it fit their needs/wants). I bet it's a pretty rare occurrence that someone spots a Critter and even knows what it is. I don't think originality plays much of role in fiberglass boat prices.

A nice clean mildly customized boat is going to get you as much money as a nice clean stock boat.
i could not agree more 9 times out of 10 the you never get back what you invest in a boat
its all in the eyes of the beholder . there is a a-- for every seat

Greg Guimond
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Bring
On
Another
Thousand

donzi racer
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
What are you even thinking of? Restore not redo. I say same color & same gel. Not my boat but i wish it was. How is the powertrain? Still ok? These CRITTER boats are just too rare to mess with, especially as original as this one seems. Just my 2c. Tom