PDA

View Full Version : Big-D is down

Donzigo
12-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated:

Z-33 w 496HO, Bravo X drive, 23 in pitch Mirage props.

The engines were installed by me two years ago and I have had zero problems until yesterday.

I took freinds out for a ride and after lunch at the Wharf, it would not go back on plane. Both engines run fine; but, when I tried to put the boat on the step, the Port engine runs up; then, dies back to an idle. Then, there is no response with the throttle, until I turn the engine off and restart. Then, the engine runs up again and dies back to an idle with no throttle response.

I won't be able to sleep until I get this repaired; so, today I will be on it.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.

Richard

Rumblefish
12-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Depending on system. you may have a T.P.S ( throttle postion) error.. Can be scanned and or cleared and tried again. Common on GM system if throttle is sensed in starting mode..

Power down system and recheck.(or if you can get it scanned for codes and cleared even better)

..may just be a error glitch as result of that..

joseph m. hahnl
12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated:

Z-33 w 496HO, Bravo X drive, 23 in pitch Mirage props.

The engines were installed by me two years ago and I have had zero problems until yesterday.

I took freinds out for a ride and after lunch at the Wharf, it would not go back on plane. Both engines run fine; but, when I tried to put the boat on the step, the Port engine runs up; then, dies back to an idle. Then, there is no response with the throttle, until I turn the engine off and restart. Then, the engine runs up again and dies back to an idle with no throttle response.

I won't be able to sleep until I get this repaired; so, today I will be on it.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.

Richard

It was working until you shut it off? check to see that the throttle cable on that engine isn't slipping. That happened to me in the Minx I ended up putting in 2 set screws inline on opposite sides to secure the SS piano wire . It was recommended that I replace it by a few. But knowing what I know:wrench:. It has been working for five years and counting:crossfing:. I have an extra on board just in case:smash:

BUIZILLA
12-31-2010, 08:29 AM
you had 600 carbs right?

water in fuel, drain float bowls and filters, especially the float bowls

Donzigo
12-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks to all.

The engines run fine and throttles work perfect until I put it in gear. Then, the throttle moving up doesn't make the engine run faster, it only idles.

The new 496HO's are fuel injected.

The suggestions are great so please give me more.

Thought about water in fuel and maybe the outdirve oil is below the line and maybe the engine is shutting down because of that.

Richard

BUIZILLA
12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
I obviously didn't pay attention in class :bonk:

fogducker III
12-31-2010, 09:22 AM
I had a similar problem with my 454Mag....turned out to be a bad IAC......if it is not that I would agree with Rumblefish TPS......good luck with it.....I HATE electrical type problems.....:nilly::wrench::crossfing:

smokediver
12-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey Richard , the best thing to do is find a scan tool and it will tell you where the problem is . I had an IAC go bad and i was really chasing my tail until i found a friend with a scan tool. i know it isnt convenient right now but just relax , i am sure it is a minor fix .

Fishermanjm
12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
i know this doesn't help any,,, but,,, my boat is covered by a 6ft snow drift,,, ;(((((((( dam sure wish i could go boating today good luck with your repair just make sure your fuel is good

yeller
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Hey Richard , the best thing to do is find a scan tool and it will tell you where the problem is . I had an IAC go bad and i was really chasing my tail until i found a friend with a scan tool. i know it isnt convenient right now but just relax , i am sure it is a minor fix .
I agree. Why waste time chasing a problem when the computer can probably tell you right away what is wrong.

Donzigo
12-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks ............. yeah, that's the right thing to do....a scan tool.
...I went out again today and the thing ran like hell for 15 minutes then the Port engine died back to an idel then after a while, the boat ran like hell again at 5,500 RPM...(intermident problems make me crazy). BTW - my son was at the helm and at 29, he has no problems with running her at WFO for a mile or so and I have to tell you, Big-D is such a thrill at that speed....the noise, the exhaust, the rear wake....to much fun. At 61 I am far more conservative.
...an intermident issue is kinda like when you know someone has a problem and you say: "So, what's wrong honey?" and they say: "Oh nothing" ........ couldn't you just smack them?
...back to the boat, well, I had some issues with the seat pedestals rusting and I need to have new ones built and the floor hasn't been up in a few years to check the fuel tank; so I disassembled everything and tomorrow, I take the sides off the cockpit for inspection.....I know it doesn't solve the freaking problem; but, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm doing something productive rather than pulling my hair out until Monday when I can look for a scan tool...anybody know how much they cost?
...and to the weather thing, yes, it was 80 degrees today.
...you know, I was married for 20 months and it ended just a few months ago and the closing of that chapter of my life was difficult and sure it hurt; but, it really doesn't compare with my Donzi not working...the boat being down bothers me so much more becasue I know I can fix the Donzi..... :-)

LKSD
01-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes, a scan would be one of the first things to do after a preliminary visual inspection of your connections and basics.

It could be a loose connection, a bad ground, a bad switch or a hard part or component failure or glitch. Fuel may be a possiblity as well whether it be an issue with the fuel itself at a tank pick up, or a component of the fuel system..

You should scan the unit, however being that it is an intermittent issue there may not be any codes. If that is the case You will want to run the unit & watch the parameters on the scanner for something screwy to go on when the unit act up. Once you find which item is out of spec you can hunt further.. Until then it could be 1 of many different things causing your grief..

Happy new year.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

MOP
01-01-2011, 09:01 AM
+1 for the IAC, sounds like what I hear at our supply house.

Trueser
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks ............. yeah, that's the right thing to do....a scan tool.
...I went out again today and the thing ran like hell for 15 minutes then the Port engine died back to an idel then after a while, the boat ran like hell again at 5,500 RPM...(intermident problems make me crazy). BTW - my son was at the helm and at 29, he has no problems with running her at WFO for a mile or so and I have to tell you, Big-D is such a thrill at that speed....the noise, the exhaust, the rear wake....to much fun. At 61 I am far more conservative.
...an intermident issue is kinda like when you know someone has a problem and you say: "So, what's wrong honey?" and they say: "Oh nothing" ........ couldn't you just smack them?
...back to the boat, well, I had some issues with the seat pedestals rusting and I need to have new ones built and the floor hasn't been up in a few years to check the fuel tank; so I disassembled everything and tomorrow, I take the sides off the cockpit for inspection.....I know it doesn't solve the freaking problem; but, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm doing something productive rather than pulling my hair out until Monday when I can look for a scan tool...anybody know how much they cost?
...and to the weather thing, yes, it was 80 degrees today.
...you know, I was married for 20 months and it ended just a few months ago and the closing of that chapter of my life was difficult and sure it hurt; but, it really doesn't compare with my Donzi not working...the boat being down bothers me so much more becasue I know I can fix the Donzi..... :-)

I have a double seat pedistal from the 29 in perfect shape with power motor. are they the same?

Tidbart
01-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Richard,

Give me a call sometime about a scan tool. Very expensive tool.

Bob
321-436-5704

Donzigo
01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Took a look at the fuel tank --- no problem

Took apart the fuel strainers --- nothing but clear fuel, no water

Still trying to figure it out.

yeller
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Trailer it to a Merc shop and have them scan it for you. It'll cost an hour labor, but it's a lot cheaper than buying the scanner.

LKSD
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Trailer it to a Merc shop and have them scan it for you. It'll cost an hour labor, but it's a lot cheaper than buying the scanner.

I agree time to scan it. So your idea is a wise choice it is usually less to pay 1 or more hours in labor than to buy the scanner. I have a few different ones & they get pricey.. Especially if you were only going to use it once or twice.

I have seen people all too often just guessing & throwing parts on things. It usually gets expensive & time consuming and IMO it is money & time they could have better spent boating or on fuel if they would have just taken it to a pro, or gone thru a proper diagnostic procedure..

Hopefully the problem will get licked soon.. :) Jamie

Fishermanjm
01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Not true. I just purchaced the mercruiser scan tool for my 22 classic
it was under 400.00 dollars from the manufacturer. I will give the details if anyone is interested,,, u really need one to perform any type of adj's or to read codes. I really didn't want to butt,,,,, u need it. I have worked in the automotive field for ever. Mopar man for 30 yrs now. Without the proper
scan tool your lost. :(((((

DAULEY
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Richard
any idea what was wrong
hopfuly you are up and running again with a smile on your face

mrfixxall
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
unscrew the fuel sender at the fuel tank,just a shot in the dark but i have had a few with the extended aluminum tube that screws into the 90* fitting brake off or crack at the threads...

Rinda out of chicago makes the scan tool, i like the pc based one,seems to do allot more for the money..

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool

also check your charging system to make sure one of your alternators are not over charging and putting the pcm's in guardian mode,,sometimes if a alternator goes bad it will throw ac voltage and does not play so well with a dc pcm..

Tidbart
01-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Spoke with Richard, fuel looks good, no water. Could still be fuel pressure issue.
He has a scan tool and will get to use it soon. Hopefully it will tell him something worthwhile. If no DTC's, it will at least tell him if some sensors and other things are within specs, and go from there. Also, his engines have the PCM555, .....which is nice. So he's got that going for him.........:wink:

B

smokediver
01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
when is the last time the plugs were changed ? my 496 was running like crap ,i too thought i had a fuel problem and a new set of plugs made it like new ..