PDA

View Full Version : Hey Fixall, fastest stock snowmobile on earth...

Donziweasel
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Mike, good catching up with ya this morning. I got curious about the Ski Doo 1300 Turbo and looked around to find out about one. I couldn't find anything. They do have a 1200 Etec 4 stroke that I have know about rated at a whopping 130 hp, but couldn't find out anything about a 1300. Got a link or some info? Just curious.

Now Cat is still claiming the worlds fastest production 4 stroke and 2 stroke. The ZR1 Turbo is supposed to be the fastest production 4 stroke on Earth. The CFR 1000 is supposed to be the fastest production 2 stroke on Earth.

Check out this video from Arctic Cat that talks about both of these sleds. BTW, this video from Cat was shot in JH at Togwotee-

http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/WFS.asp

I don't think Ski Doo is in the game......

OFFSHORE GINGER
12-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey guy , my wife and i stayed at Togwatee Lodge a few years back and just loved it and in fact stayed there 5 days & nites during are honeymoon over thirty years ago and moved to Jackson Hole for a few nites . I gotta tell yah i have always wanted to do some sledding in your area .

Donziweasel
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey guy , my wife and i stayed at Togwatee Lodge a few years back and just loved it and in fact stayed there 5 days & nites during are honeymoon over thirty years ago and moved to Jackson Hole for a few nites . I gotta tell yah i have always wanted to do some sledding in your area .

The sledding is absolutly amazing. 3.5 million acres of national forest to play in from elevations of 4500 ft to 11,000. Throw in 500 inches of snow a year at Togwotee, and it is pretty sweet. Gonna get Mike out here for the hillclimb and some riding one year....... :)

The area in the Cat video is from Togwotee, they do all thier filming and photography there and have been for 15 years. Pretty cool, they were there the other day doing helicopter shots. Some of my friends were there and said it was really cool. Heading up there myself with 4 freinds on Sunday.... :) First freaking day of the year, man I have been slack.....

Sweet Cheekz
12-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Went and rode in Yellowstone a few years back for a day and it was sweet

Parnell

glashole
12-31-2010, 06:59 AM

honestly don't think they are trying to be in that game
after the skidoo 1000 it seems like they haven't tried to be the top dog in the highest speed race

the 800 etec isn;t far off at like 120-130 and handles way better than any arctic cat

now if they were to put turbo on the 1200 4 stroke they would be a serious competetor because its not to far off the 120mph notch where it is now

now go ahead and bite my head off but
honestly though how many people are really going to notice the difference between a 130 and 137 mph machine?

Donziweasel
12-31-2010, 07:40 AM
after the skidoo 1000 it seems like they haven't tried to be the top dog in the highest speed race

the 800 etec isn;t far off at like 120-130 and handles way better than any arctic cat

now if they were to put turbo on the 1200 4 stroke they would be a serious competetor because its not to far off the 120mph notch where it is now

now go ahead and bite my head off but
honestly though how many people are really going to notice the difference between a 130 and 137 mph machine?

Shea, I can't bite your head off, I don't know enough about trail and touring sleds. I haven't been on one since a 1995 Polaris XLT. I do know the Ski Doo 1000 mountain sled was a huge disappointment, the Cat M1000 ate it alive. Too heavy and not enough hp. The Ski Doo Rev mountain platform is a serious contendor, plus they added fuel injection to the 800's this year. Buddy of mine got one, it rips.

Not sure the Ski Doo 1200 is really a contendor with only 130 hp to the Cats 177. The Cat is going to be heavier with the turbo though.

Can't say I have ever been that fast on a sled either. MY M1000 is probably one of the fastest sleds I have owned, it will turn maybe 90. It is made to go through deep snow and go up mountains, not run fast. Takes alot of power to turn a 153 or 162 track with a 2 1/2 inch lug. I would love to try a ZR-1 Turbo though. Be pretty cool to run on some trails in the snowmobile version of a Formula 1 race car.

Me, I am waiting for one of the manufactures to come out with a production turbo mountain sled. Rumor has it Cat is working on one. There are some M-8's out here with over 280 hp with aftermarket turbo's. Some Yammies over 300. I have never seen a Ski Doo aftermarket turbo sled for some reason.

Shea, you have to get out here one year..... :)

mike o
12-31-2010, 08:16 AM
We will...............:kingme:

Donziweasel
12-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Mike, anytime, I am not going anywhere for a while...... :)

Not sure if any of you follow Nascar, but Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse are both staying with me. Both drive for Roush in the Nationwide series and Trevor drives for the Woods Brothers in the Cup series. They are heading with me to Togwotee on Sunday.

mike o
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Mike, anytime, I am not going anywhere for a while...... :)

Not sure if any of you follow Nascar, but Trevor Bayne and Ricky Stenhouse are both staying with me. Both drive for Roush in the Nationwide series and Trevor drives for the Woods Brothers in the Cup series. They are heading with me to Togwotee on Sunday.Sweet, Tell Em boat rides available on Winni, when in Loudon... :yes: for pit passes:kingme:

joseph m. hahnl
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Shea, . I have never seen a Ski Doo aftermarket turbo sled for some reason.

Ski Doo is not focusing on four cycles. They are focused on direct injection 2 cycles. direct injection has is limitations on displacement.

how many people are really going to notice the difference between a 130 and 137 mph machine?

The people around here by me will. With there hand held GPS, they race from one end of the lake to the other. So far, for the past couple of years the Ski Doo has been the dominant force among this crowd.

absolutely correct, they are going for fuel economy. last I saw they had 33% better efficiency than any other sled. that is huge when your out in the middle of no where

Donziweasel
01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Ski Doo is not focusing on four cycles. They are focused on direct injection 2 cycles. direct injection has is limitations on displacement.

Aftermarket turbo sleds made the jump out here from 4 stroke (mainly Yammies) to 2 stroke sleds. Seen plenty of M-8, M-1000 and Polaris 2 stroke turbos. Just never seen a Ski Doo.

So far, for the past couple of years the Ski Doo has been the dominant force among this crowd.

The ZR1 turbo cat may quickly change that as it is a new sled. :)

badbird
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
The z1 turbo rocks,I have a few buddies that have them.
175 hp out of the box :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7yEzUqhCaA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXgNCqm1n68&NR=1

Donziweasel
01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Found this on the net.

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-fastest-snowmobile-on-the-market

Seems the fastest production snowmobile is the Arctic Cat Z1 with a speed of 142 mph. Thats fast on a sled, really fast.

badbird
01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Here is a fast Yamaha ,550hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdF0wgTikM&feature=related

mrfixxall
01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Mike, good catching up with ya this morning. I got curious about the Ski Doo 1300 Turbo and looked around to find out about one. I couldn't find anything. They do have a 1200 Etec 4 stroke that I have know about rated at a whopping 130 hp, but couldn't find out anything about a 1300. Got a link or some info? Just curious.

Now Cat is still claiming the worlds fastest production 4 stroke and 2 stroke. The ZR1 Turbo is supposed to be the fastest production 4 stroke on Earth. The CFR 1000 is supposed to be the fastest production 2 stroke on Earth.

Check out this video from Arctic Cat that talks about both of these sleds. BTW, this video from Cat was shot in JH at Togwotee-

http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/WFS.asp

Sorry john,was north watching all the snow melt,,my mistake 1200 cc's and no turbo,just a after market turbo kit installed before he flipped the sled and killed himself..Goes to show that im not a follower of skidoo's..

ok lets compare apples to apples,lets remove the turbo off the zr1 and go up against a stock apex or my rx1 and lets see who is faster..or better yet we can leave the turbo installed and ill call my buddy with my old apex with the turbo installed and let's see who spanks who :) Cat may be king this year but when Yamaha comes out with their carbon fiber stuff for their sleds and maybe a 220 hp turbo engine cat will have to go back to the drawing board..

Yamaha tests all their new models in hurley wi (my snowmobiling stomping grounds) and i have to tell you,they got some cool chit coming in the near future :) They do their testing for 5 yrs before they release the new models,not like some other brands that let their customers do the testing and find problems after the fact and then have to come up with a plan and try to fix the problems to make their customers happy..

zelatore
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't know about all these 500, 600, etc hp turbo sleds. I'm just a newb.

Heck, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around 1000-1200 cc 2-strokes! I can't help but remember King Kenny's comments about racing the TZ750 2-stoke - "they don't pay me enough to ride this thing!"

But you know there's a part of me that really wants to find out...:eek::yes:

CHACHI
01-03-2011, 06:07 AM
[quote=zelatore;587061]
I can't help but remember King Kenny's comments about racing the TZ750 2-stoke - "they don't pay me enough to ride this thing!"

Don, as you know, King Kenny did quite well on the road racing version of that motor, he flat out hated the dirt track model, which he rode again at the Indy mile in 2009.

Ken

Donziweasel
01-03-2011, 07:55 AM
ok lets compare apples to apples,lets remove the turbo off the zr1 and go up against a stock apex or my rx1 and lets see who is faster..or better yet we can leave the turbo installed and ill call my buddy with my old apex with the turbo installed and let's see who spanks who Cat may be king this year but when Yamaha comes out with their carbon fiber stuff for their sleds and maybe a 220 hp turbo engine cat will have to go back to the drawing board..

You will get no arguement from me on Yamaha being king of the NA 4 stroke. They have been at it a while longer than everyone else. BUT, I think the gap is narrowing. Ski Doo and Cat's best 4 stroke NA effort is around 130 hp. The Apex is around 150 hp.

Like I said, I am waiting for a factory turbo mountain sled. It had better have more than 177 hp like the Z1. My M-1000 came stock at 165 hp and with the few mods I have done, I am at 192 hp. If one comes out, it needs to be north of 220 hp and under 525 pounds to make me notice. Of course this is a 2 stroke. It will be 4-5 years before the 4 stroke mountain stuff can touch the 2 stroke stuff.

But you know there's a part of me that really wants to find out...

Come on out Don. We will get ya on a 2011 Ski Doo XP with 165 hp and around 450 pounds. Throw in 20 feet on deep powder and you have the makings of some serious fun...... :)

mrfixxall
01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
You will get no arguement from me on Yamaha being king of the NA 4 stroke. They have been at it a while longer than everyone else. BUT, I think the gap is narrowing. Ski Doo and Cat's best 4 stroke NA effort is around 130 hp. The Apex is around 150 hp.

Like I said, I am waiting for a factory turbo mountain sled. It had better have more than 177 hp like the Z1. My M-1000 came stock at 165 hp and with the few mods I have done, I am at 192 hp. If one comes out, it needs to be north of 220 hp and under 525 pounds to make me notice. Of course this is a 2 stroke. It will be 4-5 years before the 4 stroke mountain stuff can touch the 2 stroke stuff.

Come on out Don. We will get ya on a 2011 Ski Doo XP with 165 hp and around 450 pounds. Throw in 20 feet on deep powder and you have the makings of some serious fun...... :)

I dont know if you kept up with the apex lately, my tech friend in hurley last weekend said they are just shy of 165 hp with the new FI and exhaust..now remember,the engine is based off of the r1 motorcycle engine, 180 bph @ 12,500 rpm and 85 ft/lb of torque @ 10,000 rpm's..

They may be coming out with a new 1300 cc by 2015?? but i cant say anything or ill get people in trouble..

Donziweasel
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I dont know if you kept up with the apex lately, my tech friend in hurley last weekend said they are just shy of 165 hp with the new FI and exhaust..now remember,the engine is based off of the r1 motorcycle engine, 180 bph @ 12,500 rpm and 85 ft/lb of torque @ 10,000 rpm's..

They may be coming out with a new 1300 cc by 2015?? but i cant say anything or ill get people in trouble..

I was actually talking with my buddy who owns the Yamaha and Ski Doo dealership out here last week (I was looking for a part for my trailer), and we gots to talking a bout sleds as usual. He told me the 2011 Apex is still 150 hp but you could get it higher with aftermarket exhaust. The biggest problem he said he is having selling them is the weight. 660 pounds. He is selling 8 Ski Doo 800's to every Apex, and most Apex buyers are going for an aftermarket turbo.

I could see his problem. Cat, Polaris and Ski Doo are all selling mountain sleds under 450 pounds with 160-165 hp. The Apex might have comparable hp, but at over 200 pounds heavier, they have to figure out how to get it on a diet before it really is a contender in the mountain class. Apex is also around 1000.00 more too.

Buddy of mine bought his 12 year old a new mountain Phazer this year and he said it actually does pretty good in the powder. His son is loving it.

Cutler makes a 1300 big bore kit for mine for about 2500.00. 225 NA hp. I was thinking about it, but mama needs a new pair of shoes first........ :) Considering a turbo for my sled is almost 6000.00, makes the big bore a steal. While the turbo is 300 hp, 225 is nothing to laugh at.

Went out today, at 10000 ft. Cold, but decent powder. First trip of the year. So, should I expect you in February or March? :) :) :)

SideshowRob
01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Yamaha recently announced "factory authorized" turbo and supercharger kits for the Nitro MTX 153. The kits come from Push Turbo, and Mountain Performance Inc. Both deliver 50hp increases without intercoolers. Kits are $3995. US. This is extremely rare for Yamaha, as they rarely allow another name to have a place on their products.
This is from Supertrax magazine.

badbird
01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Great vid check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8hJWKIVNs

CHACHI
01-06-2011, 07:24 PM
The racing two-strokes of those years, absolutly made your ears bleed at full throttle. That coupled with the smell of race fuel and Castrol R made a weekend that was tought to beat.

Ken

zelatore
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
And I think the place to feed that need is...Jackson Hole!

After BS'ing about it for years, it's time to actually get out to the mountain and visit the Lazy P. Planning to head out for a few days the first weekend in Feburary.

Don't worry Fix, I'll post pics of all the snow you missed out on! :wink:

And this time I'll try to remember that reverse isn't my friend...

mike o
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
1 INCH ON THE GROUND :frown: If if it don't start snowing.:nilly: ya might see me sometime:kingme::kingme::kingme:

mrfixxall
01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
And I think the place to feed that need is...Jackson Hole!

After BS'ing about it for years, it's time to actually get out to the mountain and visit the Lazy P. Planning to head out for a few days the first weekend in Feburary.

Don't worry Fix, I'll post pics of all the snow you missed out on! :wink:

And this time I'll try to remember that reverse isn't my friend...

Your going to have a ball,im sure by the end of your weekend john will be having you do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf8zXrqVAlo&feature=player_embedded#!

then after that escapade you can convert your beemer into one of thease :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1369HQQWjw&feature=related

zelatore
01-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Your going to have a ball,im sure by the end of your weekend john will be having you do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf8zXrqVAlo&feature=player_embedded#!

Seeing how most of those guys didn't exactly stick the landing, I figure I can handle that!

Crashing. I can do that. :kingme: