PDA

View Full Version : O Canada

zelatore
12-28-2010, 10:44 AM
No spiffy Christmas gifts for me this year, but we are staying in the Canadian Rockies all week.

Flew in to Calgary and spent a day there downtown, then moved on to Fairmont Hot Springs were we'll stay until Friday when we move to Banff.

I'm sad to say we've only seen a dusting of snow! Temps have been in the 20's by day and mid teens at night, although some places have gotten up to freezing during the day which leads to all sorts of mess as the goo on the roads thaws...
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/EdgeAWDrentalafter3days.jpg

I like BC's tourism tag line: Super-Natural British Columbia. We've been out snowshoing every day, although we haven't taken on any serious trails. I am hoping to get out to the Bugaboos later in the week; you have to love it when the park's own website basicaly says 'if you're just a casual hiker, don't come here-these trails are difficult!'

A couple shots from Kootenay NP:
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/KootenayNPDogLaketrail.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/KootenayNPDogLaketrail12.jpg

Next I'll have to visit Weasle and see how his Rockies compare to BC's :wink:

More pics:
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/

mrfixxall
12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Go rent 2 snomobiles and go exploring,reason for 2 is incase one brakes and it dont leave you stranded:wink:

zelatore
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Snowmobiles are on the schedule for tomorrow. Nothing radical as I've got a grand total of about 10 minutes on a snowmobile 25+ years ago and Michele has never even sat on one. But I'm sure we'll have some fun none the less.

Hopefully not too much fun though - I can't afford another hobby!

BUIZILLA
12-28-2010, 12:15 PM
at this point we need pic's of Michele in full winter garb :wink:

just to make sure your not doing this as a solo venture :angel:

MOP
12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Snowmobiles are on the schedule for tomorrow. Nothing radical as I've got a grand total of about 10 minutes on a snowmobile 25+ years ago and Michele has never even sat on one. But I'm sure we'll have some fun none the less.

Hopefully not too much fun though - I can't afford another hobby!

Remember not to stop in deep snow, they can sink like a stone! I have had that experience some tough getting back up on top!

mrfixxall
12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
If your into any kind of road racing which i know you were or are your going to have a ball:)..if you get ones with reverse just remember they go just as fast backwards as they do forwards..they throw one hell of a rooster tail going backwards also,,one short burst and you can cover a whole snowmobile..dont ask how i know this lol..

If you get stuck in deep powder dont use reverse,it will bury the sled even more..i usually roll the sled over its topside and then your in fresh powder..the snow is soft so it wont hurt the sled..Go to youtube and watch some snowmobiling videos to get some ideas on how to handle the deep stuff..if they have groomed trails i recommend staying on them if you have never been in deep powder..they dont steer to well and to turn you need to turn the skis the opposite direction and lien a bit then the sled will come around..

zelatore
12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
at this point we need pic's of Michele in full winter garb :wink:

just to make sure your not doing this as a solo venture :angel:

Proof:

First, me being an idiot-
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/KootenayNPDogLaketrail9.jpg

And Michele running away-
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/KootenayNPDogLaketrail10.jpg

We'll probably stay with trails for the sleds. If I get the chance, I'll try some deep stuff. We're picking them up out at Panorama for a half-day tomorrow. They're higher and wetter than here in Fairmont, so should have more snow on the ground. I've certainly seen plenty of sleds loaded on trucks, on trailers, etc around here! I think the Alberta Snowmobiler's Association is staying at the same place we are.

BUIZILLA
12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
honey, are you sure there's a PortaLet out here? :nilly:

love the pic's Don :shades:

zelatore
12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Go rent 2 snomobiles and go exploring,reason for 2 is incase one brakes and it dont leave you stranded:wink:

Smart man, sounds like you're familiar with the quality of the average rental fleet.

Today we had a pair of 660 Arctic Cats. True to form, Michele's sled overheated about 45 minutes down the trail. Ended up leaving it there and coming back with a gallon of antifreeze. It took it all, but at least it made it back down the trail.

While I'm no sled expert (the only time I've ridden one prior was maybe 20 years ago on flat land) I'm pretty sure a 660 A-C is not what you'd call a top of the line machine. It felt heavy, and didn't have much power, especially at 8000'. Given that a 4-stroke 600 class sport bike makes maybe 120 hp, I'm guessing these things make about half that since they aren't nearly so highly tuned. Throw in the altitude and I'm guessing 45 hp. Not a lot to haul something that must weigh 500+ lbs.

I did manage to well and truly bury the thing trying to climb a soft hill. Reverse only served to sink it in further. When I got off to start digging it out, I sank to my waist. I asked the guy that helped me dig it out (man, I get winded fast at that elevation!) if the problem was technique or machine. He sorta laughed and said nobody would have got that sled up that hill - wrong tool for the job! (though I'm sure technique would have gotten me further as I pretty much just pinned it and held on)

I'll have to get out to visit John in Jackson Hole so he can show me how it's really done!

yeller
12-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I did manage to well and truly bury the thing trying to climb a soft hill. Reverse only served to sink it in further. Don...did you not read what mrfixxall posted???? :bonk: :wink:

If you get stuck in deep powder dont use reverse,it will bury the sled even more..

zelatore
12-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Don...did you not read what mrfixxall posted???? :bonk: :wink:

Read - and promptly forgot.

Perhaps this will serve as a reminder!

FWIW, trying to reverse down the hill while rocking it back and forth did produce a little movement in the desired direction. About 18". Then it only produced a downward movement....:bonk:

zelatore
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Tomorrow morning we're leaving before dawn to see how close we can get to Bugaboos park. From what I hear, this may not be a successful endeavor, so plan B is to head back over to Kootenay where we know we can get to the trail heads.

zelatore
12-29-2010, 08:56 PM
And while I'm up here....

How about some beer recommendations from you local types? Something along the lines of a Bavarian WiessBier would be nice.

Had something local with dinner in Calgary which was decent but not spectacular. I've since forgotten what it was. Better than the standard Bud at least.

Tried an R&D's Auld Nick Winter Ale with dinner tonight. I'm not much of a dark beer guy, but it was OK.

I've avoided the obvious like Molson or LaBatts hoping for something more interesting.

mrfixxall
12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
OMG they gave you the pooch of the fleet,the turbo version is better but even heavier,,i think they weigh something like 750 lbs all fueled up..You can slap i believe it was subaru for that pooch of a engine..Those 660's are known for over heating,try and either get a yamaha next time,they are way ahead of everybody else on the 4stroke snowmobiles..If you are in any kind of state parks i believe that's all you can get is a 4stroke sled,if you want to play in the powder your better off with a 2 stroke ,they are allot lighter..

more pics please!!
Hope you had fun..

yeller
12-29-2010, 09:12 PM
And while I'm up here....

How about some beer recommendations from you local types? Sorry, can't help you much. I normally drink Corona. Most of the resort towns have their own micro-brewery, so I like to check out what the locals make.

Donziweasel
12-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Don, Don, Don........

First, I can't say much bad about Banff and that area. Amazingly beautiful. Skied Lake Louise, big nice mountain. Not Jackson, but kept me entertained, and not many mountains do. Stayed in Fairmont Banff . Cool place, VERY laid back. It really has a personality I have never seen before.

As for the sledding, Mike is right, they gave you an ole dog that should have been shot long time ago. Cat doesn't even make that sled anymore. It was a touring sled, which are great for trail riding, but suck in the deep snow or powder. A powder sled has 160+ hp and weighs 460 pound dry weight. Your sled was probably close to 600 pounds with a 50-60 hp. The turbo model had 120. Powder sleds are light and nimble in the deep snow and will climb some serious hills.

Comparison of Jackson Hole and Banff? Not sure you can. Both are totaly different, equally as beautiful and with distinctly different personalities. Jackson is still part old west, and a crazy skiing and snowmobiling mentality. More of a nightlife. Banff felt more laid back and conservative than JH, everyone kinda did thier own thing. Both have cool individual features too. JH has Yellowstone and the Tetons, while Banff has the ice fields, which are just amazing. They are about 45 minutes north of Lake Louis and are HUGE. I have never seen anything like them.

Anyway, I think everyone should visit both, as they are both very worthy of seeing. BUT, Don, you will have to come to JH, I want to see how we stack up against some of the competition....... :)

Sounds like you are having fun, keep it up!!! :wink::)

yeller
12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
How do you like the Edge. I hated them when I first saw one, but now they are growing on me. Kinda' like them now and have been half-azzed considering one.

Donziweasel
12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Polaris made a sled called the Edge, but not sure they still do. Is that what you were talking about?

yeller
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
No, talking about the Ford Edge he rented. (1st pic in the thread).

Donziweasel
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
No, talking about the Ford Edge he rented. (1st pic in the thread).

Well, I feel rather stupid at the moment....... LOL :)

zelatore
12-30-2010, 10:21 PM
How do you like the Edge. I hated them when I first saw one, but now they are growing on me. Kinda' like them now and have been half-azzed considering one.

Remember - you asked!

Ford Edge

Well, it's ... OK. Quite and smooth on the highway or backroads, what I'd call marginal power, though that will depend on what you're used to. Sure it's slow compared to our BMW, but I honestly think my Ram 1500 quad cab (2wd) with a hemi will out pull it both 0-60 and 60-100. That's sad...

The chassis seems pretty competent. I haven't exactly been throwing it around (though I did cut a few donuts and drifts in a snowy empty parking lot at a park; Michele LOVES when I do that. She's just lucky it doesn't have a hand brake) but it feels pretty good for something in this class.

The 3.5 V6 has what may be the lamest exhaust note you've ever heard. Luckily, when you're inside it, you only hear it if you're flat out. Which you will be every time you pass somebody.

The awd has performed fine on the snow, up to a point. Remember it has the stock all-season tires. Today I decided to see if I could make it out to Bugaboos park. I didn't get within 30 kilometers. The road (gravel forest service road) had been plowed at some point this season looking at the snow piled on the sides, but still had plenty on the surface. I was doing fine making about 30 kph through maybe 6" of powder, but running on top of another 6" or so of hard-pack. Staying in the existing ruts I was still making good forward progress but I was beginning to drag the undercarriage and it was only getting worse as we got further down the road. I eventually decided to give it up and tried to turn around. This didn't work so well...I barely got it out of the ruts before I stopped going forward and started going down. As soon as I felt it start digging in, the electronic controls went crazy and killed the power. I turned them off and with a lot of rocking and fighting, eventually got out of my holes and back into the ruts where I backed up about 3 kilometers running maybe 15 kph (and with both Michele and I hanging out the doors trying to see behind us in the dawn light) until I came to a field entrance that I decided to use for a 3-point turn. Got the car about 80% into it before it dug in again. This time I had to dig. Luckily I had anticipated this and used one of the snowshoes as a shovel/ice pick. Took a few rounds of move/dig, but eventually we got it back up on the hard pack and in the ruts instead of trying to dig down to the road surface.

Had it all been that light fluffy snow, I don’t think it would have been too bad as that puts up virtually no resistance. But the hard icy stuff brought things to a halt fast.

I like the styling of the car. It seems to have a lot of back-seat leg room although I haven’t actually sat back there. The headlights are marginal, though that’s not a big surprise as many cars are these days. Seems to have a pretty small turning radius which makes it easy to park. The transmission is pretty poor – it upshifts at the least provocation and won’t downshift unless you boot it pretty hard. Running in the mountains out here it takes a couple downshifts to maintain 100 kph (60 mph) up-hill, pulling a good 3500 rpm. At least it’s pretty quiet and smooth at that rpm – if my truck was spinning that fast you’d sure as hell know it! (the borla exhaust might have something to do with that). I don’t think it would be much of a tow rig, as it doesn’t feel like it’s got much torque and like I said, it’s already working pretty hard getting up the hills under it’s own weight.

I’ve put about 1000 miles on it this week, and with easy to moderate driving, mostly at 3000’+, it’s showing a bit over 21 mpg on the computer.

So basically, it’s a pretty decent family car but not much else – if you need to haul the Brady Bunch, it only seats 4; if you want to get into poorly maintained roads you have limited ground clearance but with good tires should be able to do OK (don’t even think it’s going off-road); if you want/need performance, look elsewhere, perhaps the Infinity FX series which is slightly smaller but out performs any SUV short of the Porsche abomination; and if you need to haul/tow, it doesn’t have the power.

Would I buy one? I can see the appeal, but it’s not for me. If I HAD to have an SUV in this size range, I’d look at a used FX45. Still limited towing, but better handling and power in a slightly smaller package and likely similar mileage and awd performance.

BTW – I have no idea what the price point on this is; I’m guessing between $25 and $30K depending on options. I also know they’ve made some significant changes for ’11.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/EdgeAWDrentalafter3days1.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/EdgeAWDrentalafter3days2.jpg

zelatore
12-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL day today – clear bright blue skys with a few wispy clouds and good sunlight that really made the green of the trees and the white of the snow pop. I was running around like an idiot taking pictures left and right as everywhere I turned there was something that just looked amazing. Naturally, about ¼ of those pics turned out decent. I’ve uploaded a few here:
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/ (http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/)

The only problem: it was COLD! When we left the resort about an hour before dawn the car’s thermostat showed 0 (and yes, that’s F, not C). After our failed attempt to get to Bugaboo Provencial Park (see above) we switched to plan B and went back to Kootenay park where we broke out the snowshoes and did about 5.5 miles, including breaking some trail in about 10” of snow. Luckily, most of it had been tracked before by somebody else so we didn’t have to break trail all the way. During the hike, out thermometer showed between 5 and 14 degrees. Yeah, that’s pretty damn cold, even when you’re tramping up-hill wearing a pack and busting trail. And to make it worse, all my water froze so I I was basically carrying dead weight in the pack!
A few pics from today, though there are more at the link above.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/CanadianRockiesWKootenaytrail019.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/CanadianRockiesWKootenaytrail026.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Candian%20Rockies%20Christmas%202010/hwy93throughKootenayNP1.jpg

This is our last night in Fairmont Hot Springs. Tomorrow we’ll be staying in Banff.

yeller
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the write up Don. :yes: