PDA

View Full Version : Late 1970? Donzi?

Hoekie
12-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Hi

Im in South Africa and have found this add and wonder if anybody can give me some advice on the boat.
It is advertized as, Late 70`s Donzi classic jet-boat made in the USA with V8 308 holden chev power plant.
I have since asked the owner for some additional info and it is a Jaccuzi Jet drive and Im still not quite sure about the motor.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Just Say N20
12-28-2010, 06:28 AM
While deck hardware can be replaced, as can engines and drives, I would guess this is a Donzi splash (hull and deck made from molds someone made from a Donzi). This is just my educated guess from these 2 pictures.

The deck hardware is all wrong; side grab bars rather than a "U" around the front, bow light back on the deck rather than at the point, grab handle at the front where the bow light should be, hardware mounted on the edges of the bow half way back, etc.

Also, Holden wasn't offered as an original equipment engine option.

A late 70s Donzi will have a hull ID number on the transom, starboard side just below the rub rail. The US Required these beginning in November 1973. Get that hull # and you will learn a lot.

Sweet little 16
12-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Nov. 1973??????

any boat made in the US after Nov 1 1972 needs to have a HIN.

power and hardware options might not mean anything as it was not unique for a 16 to leave the factory unrigged

but it was really not unique to make a splash of the 16

look for foil tags, written numbers also

Just Say N20
12-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Nov. 1973??????
any boat made in the US after Nov 1 1972 needs to have a HIN.

Sorry for the typo. Thanks for catching it.

"All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN.

The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat.

The HIN has an important safety purpose. It enables manufacturers to clearly identify for boat owners the boats that are involved in a defect notification and recall campaign.

A HIN is not the same as a State registration number, which may be required to be displayed on the bow of your boat. The HIN is a Federal requirement; your boat’s registration number is a State requirement similar to the license plate on your car. The HIN, however, is required to be shown on the State certificate of registration."

power and hardware options might not mean anything as it was not unique for a 16 to leave the factory unrigged

but it was really not unique to make a splash of the 16
look for foil tags, written numbers also

I was not aware that Donzi shipped out unrigged, bare hulls.

Bottom line is that any "late 70s" hull without a HIN is not a Donzi.

Hoekie
12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi

Thanks for the info given, looks like I will definately have to try to confirm if it has got a HIN and if so what it is.
I have also managed to get a few more pics of the boat that might help.
There is also a pic of the motor???

Thanks

Sweet little 16
12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
rear deck and hatch opening don't look to be Donzi like, most likely one of the many copies made of the 16