PDA

View Full Version : I-40 through North Carolina

Phil S
12-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Here's a pic of I-40 through NC this afternoon. Tennessee roads were clear, and so were SC (SC got close to 5 inches of snow in the upstate area). I think the NCDOT plow-drivers slept through this snowstorm....sheesh.

zelatore
12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Heck, the roads up here in the Canadian Rockies are practically clear....of course, I don't know when it last snowed. Still, every day (even Christmas) I've seen at least one plow out. I don't know what they're doing - maybe pre-positioning the equipment for future work or heading toward some back-road that hasn't been cleared yet.

Donzi Vol
12-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's a pic of I-40 through NC this afternoon. Tennessee roads were clear, and so were SC (SC got close to 5 inches of snow in the upstate area). I think the NCDOT plow-drivers slept through this snowstorm....sheesh.

NC seems to always get a little more hammered than East TN because of the mountains that just seem to attract ice. Glad you made it home safe.

Heck, the roads up here in the Canadian Rockies are practically clear....of course, I don't know when it last snowed. Still, every day (even Christmas) I've seen at least one plow out. I don't know what they're doing - maybe pre-positioning the equipment for future work or heading toward some back-road that hasn't been cleared yet.

That pic is gorgeous. Amazed...

Phil S
12-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks DV....I think you're right about the mountains....but you could tell a noticeable difference right at the TN / NC border with the road conditions....night & day.

Beautiful pic Zelatore....
Phil

DAULEY
12-27-2010, 08:48 AM

that is a great photo

zelatore
12-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks DV....I think you're right about the mountains....but you could tell a noticeable difference right at the TN / NC border with the road conditions....night & day.

Beautiful pic Zelatore....
Phil

I used to see a similar notable difference in conditions between KY and IN when I lived in the southern IN area. I chalked it up to the Ohio River. Or my imagination.

More Canada pics will follow - I actually got a few nice ones on this trip. Purely by accident, I'm sure! I'll start a new thread later. BTW, they do have a number of lakes and boating out here, just not so much this time of year.

mrfixxall
12-27-2010, 09:14 AM

That road looks pretty good for a 5'' snow storm..They dont even think about droping the plow here until it reaches 2''.They try to kill everything with salt first..

HOWARD O
12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
We've never had snow anywhere near Christmas in the 7.5 years we've been in Eastern NC. Until now! Supposed to be 60 degrees by the end of the week and the white stuff will just be a fond memory. The Donzi doesn't know what to think of it! :boggled:

Jraysray
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Not being a smart azz but i mowed my back yard 4 days ago...

Ed Donnelly
12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I kinda mowed my back yard....Well no
I used the snowblower so the dogs can find some grass to pee on ..........Ed

CHACHI
12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
We've never had snow anywhere near Christmas in the 7.5 years we've been in Eastern NC. Until now! Supposed to be 60 degrees by the end of the week and the white stuff will just be a fond memory. The Donzi doesn't know what to think of it! :boggled:

So Howard,did you get to "play" with your Ford in snow?

Wind is blowing outside at about 40 MPH with an temp of 15.

It has been a great 24 hours.

Ken

HOWARD O
12-28-2010, 03:00 PM
So Howard,did you get to "play" with your Ford in snow?

Wind is blowing outside at about 40 MPH with an temp of 15.

It has been a great 24 hours.

Ken

Yes Ken, although I admit there wasn't enough to warrant 4wd! I bet there is up your way though!

Snow is all but gone by this afternoon. Amazing how fast it melts away!