PDA

View Full Version : Lexus

DAULEY
12-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Happy holidays to all
anyone own a lexus is250 awd need pros and cons

zelatore
12-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't tell you about the awd version, but when the IS first appeared I sucked up my pride and took a look at it, although we looked at the 300 instead of the 250.

My basic thought was very good size, decent looks, fair chassis, but poor power. I think the new IS350 fixed that, but it's also bigger now. I also don't think you can fully defeat the stability control on any Lexus, so not the best for spirited driving.

And of course every car they had or could find was a slushbox. That alone was a deal-breaker even if the rest of it could have met my expectations.

My opinion? If you're looking for a soft-core lux car, it's not bad. If you're looking for a sports sedan, shop BMW or Audi. I don't know what a is250 sells for, but a 3 to 4 year old BMW 330 will run circles around it. And you can get it with a real transmission.

DAULEY
12-24-2010, 09:36 PM
For my wife shes tired of her tahoe and wants a car but must be awd for driving in the snow

BUIZILLA
12-25-2010, 06:34 AM
if you want a sedan...

325ix or 330ix

DAULEY
12-25-2010, 10:05 AM
jim
are those bmws
merry christmas

BUIZILLA
12-25-2010, 01:20 PM
yup......

mrfixxall
12-25-2010, 02:44 PM
A friend in colorado works for lexus,,i inquired about the 250 is awd last year and he said its one of the best lexus's built... i say go for it,its a really nice car..

DAULEY
12-25-2010, 03:59 PM
thanks for all replys
going to lexus dealer tuesday

zelatore
12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
You say it's for your wife, and she's looking to replace an SUV. Well, any time somebody wants to go from an SUV to a sedan I'm all for it.

Keep in mind though, if she's expecting the typical Lexus isolation she might be disappointed. This was their first (and only) attempt to build a sport sedan, so it's not going to be quite as soft and disconnected as their other cars. I don't know what she's looking for, but it's something of an anomaly for Lexus in that regard. So if she wants a full-on sports sedan she'll likely be disappointed. If she wants a full-on luxury car, she'll likely be disappointed. It's an odd middle ground.

Handsome car though, and like I said, I was very happy with the size.

Hate to see the wife shopping an IS thinking it's just a smaller LS. Sorta reminds me of a girl we knew several years ago. She knew nothing about cars but decided to buy a BMW 3-series. She was convinced she should only look at the M3 because it was the most expensive and the top of the line (in the 3-series). This from a girl who never took her previous car past about 4000 rpm...

For what it's worth, I'm up in the Canadian Rockies right now. LOTS of awd 3-series BMWs around...but the only Lexus' I've seen have been the RX minivan/suv/cuv/whatevertheheckyouwanttocallit.

Full Disclosure: I'm a BMW 335 owner. I might be biased a little.