PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.....again...lmao

fogducker III
12-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Good morning boys, if you recall I found that my gimbal housing was damaged so I got a used replacement. It is in great shape and installed it yesterday, problem is that it was off a unit that did not use the trim sending/limiting "discs"..... so the pins that hold it in place to the gimbal ring are different.....as you can see the holes on the pins do not line up with the old holes for the plastic discs.....the old pins were threaded into the gimbal housing through the gimbal ring, these new ones just slide into the gimbal housing through the gimbal ring and are held in place by the two screws......now before you suggest "drilling and tapping" new holes, I have thought of that and the only way I can see doing this properly is to remove the housing and ring and we all know how much of a PITA that is.....

So what I was thinking was a small stainless "strap" with two holes drilled in it to line up with the old holes in the gimbal ring, I can not see that much pressure being placed on the pins and strap in an outward motion so I think it would work? Opinions????

DonziJon
12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised that no one has offered an opinion so far. I actually Did..about four hours ago ..then ....after consulting my manual..and trying to visualizs...decided maybe I wasn't knowledgeable enough and deleted my offering.

Now I suggest you find the Correct Hinge Pin that was designed for your gimbal ring....and bell housing. I think the "Bearing Surfaces" for the two very different Hinge Pins may be Different. DJ

fogducker III
12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised that no one has offered an opinion so far. I actually Did..about four hours ago ..then ....after consulting my manual..and trying to visualizs...decided maybe I wasn't knowledgeable enough and deleted my offering.

Now I suggest you find the Correct Hinge Pin that was designed for your gimbal ring....and bell housing. I think the "Bearing Surfaces" for the two very different Hinge Pins may be Different. DJ

That is the problem, the gimbal housing is one style and the gimbal ring is another......one style of pin fits one and visa-versa.....so I am kinda stuck with what I have and need to figure out how to hold the pins "in"....:confused:

DonziJon
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Take a picture of the old pin ...by itself...and then one of the "new" pin. I assume we are talking Bravo..yes.?? "Bearing Surfaces" ON THE Hinge Pin are the key, DJ

mrfixxall
12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
The one you bought is a hp style Bell housing..

A you will have to have a bigger pin made up thar fits the existing holes ot

B you will have to drill and retap the holes or

C have 2 stainless tabs welded on the pins,,i would get the stainless (316) material first and drill,counter sink the holes or get a flat head allen bolt and mock everything up then take the boat to your welder and have him tig weld the tabs in place..