PDA

View Full Version : Water softners....

Donziweasel
12-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Anyone know anything about them? Ed? I have high end ones in the main house and guest cabin, but I think I need one in the shop and bunkhouse. The water in there only gets used maybe 20-30 days a year. Would a cheap one, like 600.00, do the job since it gets so little use? Thanks.....

Ed Donnelly
12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
George Carter is the master of softness and I bow to him.............Ed

But if you want to talk boilers,,,,,:wink:

Carl C
12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, PM George if he doesn't see this thread. He sells them and sometimes has used ones.

Donziweasel
12-19-2010, 03:43 PM
George is pissed at me for whatever reason. I personally have never been one to hold a grudge, but whatever. I will call me plumber in the AM. Thanks.

Carl C
12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh, didn't know that. The resin tanks on a good sized system weigh a ton and shipping wouldn't be cheap. You might be better off buying local anyway.

CHACHI
12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
When it comes to water softeners, George knows more about them than fiberglass repairs to mid to late model Donzis.

Ken

Donziweasel
12-19-2010, 05:32 PM
When it comes to water softeners, George knows more about them than fiberglass repairs to mid to late model Donzis.

I know he does Ken. George is a great guy. We use to be freinds, we had a disagreement a few months ago, I was mad at him, he was mad at me, I forgave him but he has yet to forgive me. I have fought with people on this board over the years, including some good friends. It happens. I am not going to say anything bad about George, like I said, he is a great guy and I will leave it at that.

Now, I see that Whirlpool makes a water softner for failry cheap. I wonder if this would do the job for light duty. Like I said, the bunkhouse and shop only get used maybe 30 times a year.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_63157-43353-WHES304_4294822072_4294937087_?productId=3134821&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Water%2BSofteners_4294822072_4294 937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7C p_product_quantity_sold%7C1

CHACHI
12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
John, I am really sorry to hear that.

Look up Kenetico. That is the brand Geroge sells.

Ken

mike o
12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Tis the Season. :yes: All the very best to absolutely everyone.........:)

Trueser
12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
JOhn,
I use water boss. 450.00 works great!!!!

I'm sure water softener boys will not like them, I have used one for 15 plus years. change it out with the new one with no problems. Installed in minutes,

The old one is running at my sons house with no problems,

Donziweasel
12-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Tis the Season. All the very best to absolutely everyone.........

+1 :)

JOhn,
I use water boss. 450.00 works great!!!!

I'm sure water softener boys will not like them, I have used one for 15 plus years. change it out with the new one with no problems. Installed in minutes,

The old one is running at my sons house with no problems,

Mike, thanks. I told my plumber what you said and he agreed that is would be fine, especially for low usage. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

BUIZILLA
12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
my first Culligan lasted 19 years....

Donziweasel
12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
my first Culligan lasted 19 years....

Jim, glad you mentioned them. My neighbor has a Culligan dealership in CA. Maybe he can hook me up.

Tony
12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Jim, glad you mentioned them. My neighbor has a Culligan dealership in CA. Maybe he can hook me up.

I had a Culligan for over 20 years, then replaced it with another Culligan. The new one senses our water use and only softens when necessary. It wasn't $450, (more like triple that!) but it is a nice unit.

gcarter
12-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Any Kinetico can last over 30 years. It has twin alternating treatment tanks that supply treated water on a continuous basis. It ALWAYS supplies treated water. It works entirely on demand, and never regenerates unless a certain amount of water is used. Whether that is daily, or every six months. And because one of the two treatment tanks is always in service, even one of the smallest systems can produce at least 10,000 gallons per day. Kinetico offers systems that are about the size of a computer box and will fit on motor homes and boats that use 1# of salt and 5 gallons of water to regenerate. Then all the way up to systems that can produce 500 gallons per minute, or more, on a continuous basis.
It uses no electricity and works entirely on the kinetic energy of the water that's being used by the owner. They use about 80% less salt than any electrically operated softener. There are no timers to set, programs to adjust, no buttons to push, knobs to turn. Nothing for the owner to do except put salt in it very infrequently. Many of our retired customers put salt in their systems every 15-18 months.

I don't have anything against John. Maybe he has a lot on his plate. He contacted me during the construction of his house and asked for some some advice on softeners. I decided to help him in any way I could, just like I did for Wes. I've also offered to help Carl. Anyway, months went by and nothing from John. I finally emailed, or PMed John and asked him how things were going on the softener front. He told me he had bought something from someone local. That's fine w/me. I'm sure his decision saved me a lot of money.
But anyone else that ever wants the Lexus of the water treatment industry, I can probably help you.

Donziweasel
12-21-2010, 07:16 AM
I don't have anything against John. Maybe he has a lot on his plate. He contacted me during the construction of his house and asked for some some advice on softeners. I decided to help him in any way I could, just like I did for Wes. I've also offered to help Carl. Anyway, months went by and nothing from John. I finally emailed, or PMed John and asked him how things were going on the softener front. He told me he had bought something from someone local. That's fine w/me. I'm sure his decision saved me a lot of money.
But anyone else that ever wants the Lexus of the water treatment industry, I can probably help you.

Thank you for your reply George. When building the Lazy P, the contractor I was working with highly recommended using their softners for the main house and guest cabin. They would have charged me more for installation if I used someone elses. They were custom built units that were fairly expensive. I looked at a few they had installed in other projects and asked the owners thier opinions. They all replied that they were great units. I could tell from the contruction that they were quality. It would have cost me 3000.00 more to have one of your units shipped and installed. Thanks for you help back then. :)

I would love a high end unit in the shop and bunkhouse, but just don't have the funds right now. I figure a less expensive model is better than nothing, especailly with the low usage it will get.

BUIZILLA
12-21-2010, 07:24 AM
then lease a Culligan, lifetime replacement policy, no down payment, buy salt at the grocery store..........

Donziweasel
12-21-2010, 07:28 AM
I actually use potassium chloride instead of salt. I have been told it is better for your septic system.

I will ask my neighbor about the Culligan, he should be back after Christmas.

gcarter
12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
[quote=Donziweasel;585902] It would have cost me 3000.00 more to have one of your units shipped and installed. Thanks for you help back then. :)quote]

You'll never know