PDA

View Full Version : black hawk drives

gero1
12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
while searching for a new boat i have run across 2 formula's with 502's and black hawk drives, both are 1995 303sr1's. the first(thanks buzz) was on ebay and now on boat trader and the second on ebay today. just wondering if this was an option in 95 on formula's?? thought this drive was made for us donzi's people. any info????

osur866
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Don't quote me on this, as I'm sure there are others that will be more educated but, I think there where other boat manufactures using the BH drive in the short production time of it, I to have seen I believe a Forumla and a cpl others with twin BH's hung off the back. That kinda boat should be right up your alley since you know how the BH runs in a sweet 22!!! And with the cabin you could haul more shine ;)

thriller
12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Donzi Engineering coupled with Mercury Racing to make a Mold/Hull that would
suit the Drive...Lots of lake X Prop testing etc on the BHLE
There were Scarabs and some other tunnel Hull boats running the Drives as well...Some with high HP..Problem was when they aired the hulls out and hit re entry with any kind of torque the vertical shafts would snap...weal link in the whole design of things...A good throttle Man and seasoned operator swears by these drives.....
Just my 2 Cents

BUIZILLA
12-17-2010, 07:32 AM
gero......... that KY boat is flat out gorgeous..... i'd love to see it run

Pismo
12-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Does anybody know how they run vs a Bravo boat? Do they plane well? Good top end? No hydraulic steering but one had a tie bar. Gen 5 motors. Both look great. Did Formula make any hull changes to accommodate the BH drives? Cool setup.

roadtrip se
12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Gero, call Formula technical support. 260.724.1412. If the ad has the serial number, they can tell you exactly how the boat was equiped when it left Decatur, especially with something as easy as the power and drive combo, because this info is the first thing you find on the build card for warranty tracking purposes. Have fun and you can thank me later.

Pismo, I imagine you might find someone at Formula who set these boats up, if you pushed hard enough. Every time I have been down there I have met folks that have spent most of their lives working there. Great environment and a lot of pride in what they build. I would just call and ask, if you are looking seriously at one of their boats.

glashole
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
when i called about the colours on my boat they gave me the exact date manufactured, engine, drives, and the dealer it when to and on what day

you need the serial number

MOP
12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I too have seen several other boats with BH drives, IMO they do not need hydraulic steering. Up at the 2007 1K event the pin from the steering cable to the tiller arm popped out my bad did not realize it had a common steel cotter pin, the boat ran straight just would not turn the drive has -0- steering torque could probably be driven even without P/S. Tony let me push a rope back to the dock!!!

DAULEY
12-17-2010, 08:56 PM
scarab p29s came with blackhawk drives from factory and is one of the best suited boats for the drive

gero1
12-17-2010, 10:37 PM
for some reason i thought these drives were for donzi's. yea buzz i like the ky boat too!! i talked to the owner and i quote "it will touch 80 with emty tanks and real low on fuel" thinking about taking the drives off and putting on 2"shorty xr's

MOP
12-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Looks like quite a few really nice deals out there with varied drive and engine configurations, it is a buyers market out there you can pick and chose the comps are there to help make a great deal. http://www.google.com/search?q=1995+303sr1+formula&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=1995+303sr1+formula&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=3Ka&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&ei=uY8MTaSpCcPflgfQ0o3oCw&start=10&sa=N&fp=83f87efc6f926f13

BUIZILLA
12-18-2010, 07:57 AM
for some reason i thought these drives were for donzi's. yea buzz i like the ky boat too!! i talked to the owner and i quote "it will touch 80 with emty tanks and real low on fuel" thinking about taking the drives off and putting on 2"shorty xr's that could be interesting...

roadtrip se
12-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I too have seen several other boats with BH drives, IMO they do not need hydraulic steering. Up at the 2007 1K event the pin from the steering cable to the tiller arm popped out my bad did not realize it had a common steel cotter pin, the boat ran straight just would not turn the drive has -0- steering torque could probably be driven even without P/S. Tony let me push a rope back to the dock!!!

In my opinion Phil, you got lucky and thank goodness for that.

I think steering is a must in anything over 70-75, withour regard to the drive system.

In regards to the BH, every one of the high flying Cigs run twin ram steering. Byron and Shea run it with their BH rigs. And I have been in Gero's rig, before and after. The difference was dramatic. Before, sea-saw the wheel and hope she went straight. After, smooth, point her and go. Dramatic.

Maybe not necessary? Yes. Pretty nice to have? Yes, too.

BUIZILLA
12-18-2010, 11:07 AM
In my opinion Phil, you got lucky and thank goodness for that.

I think steering is a must in anything over 70-75, withour regard to the drive system.

In regards to the BH, every one of the high flying Cigs run twin ram steering. Byron and Shea run it with their BH rigs. And I have been in Gero's rig, before and after. The difference was dramatic. Before, sea-saw the wheel and hope she went straight. After, smooth, point her and go. Dramatic.

Maybe not necessary? Yes. Pretty nice to have? Yes, too. word..