PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brake Conversion.....

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I have decided to keep my trailer and rebuild it. New rollers, bunks, etc.... I hate surge brakes and am converting to electric. Not that big a deal actually. Backing plate full assembly about 60.00 per side, coupler about 50.00, a few bucks for wire and a connector. Question is, can I use my surge drums with the electric brakes? I don't see why not, but wanted to check. They are in good shape and they fit my wheels bolt pattern.

mrfixxall
12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I have decided to keep my trailer and rebuild it. New rollers, bunks, etc.... I hate surge brakes and am converting to electric. Not that big a deal actually. Backing plate full assembly about 60.00 per side, coupler about 50.00, a few bucks for wire and a connector. Question is, can I use my surge drums with the electric brakes? I don't see why not, but wanted to check. They are in good shape and they fit my wheels bolt pattern.

No you cant use your drums,the studs will go over the magnet and make a terrible racket..It will sound like your trailer is going to fall apart..

Call thease guys,get the center to center on the alignment pins and the width of the flanges where the backing plate bolts to and see if they have your size..cheaper route..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140334531973&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Donziweasel
12-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks Mike.... :)

New drums it is.....at least the ones I am looking at comes with bearings and seals......

VetteLT193
12-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks Mike.... :)
New drums it is.....at least the ones I am looking at comes with bearings and seals......

Disc brakes aren't all that expensive if you are doing the swap anyway.

And, make sure you add everything up and cross reference new trailer prices. You might be surprised.

Tidbart
12-15-2010, 11:11 AM

I would find out who makes the bearing and seals. I will only use Timkin. A lot of suppliers have been using and selling Chinese crap bearings. There is a big difference between a $5 and a $25 bearing. At least, ask the question. I would not make a cross-country trip with inferior bearings.
Since you are in the vehicle business, I know you have a good parts supplier. They should confirm what I said.

B

BUIZILLA
12-15-2010, 11:18 AM
the chinese bearings cost a distributor about 60 cents, the Timkins about $6

Timkin has an overseas line they sell for price points, so make SURE you ask for the domestic production parts, I believe the overseas box is a different color

rustnrot
12-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I have always found it cheaper to buy a new trailer, then sell the old one rather than redo the old.

Donziweasel
12-16-2010, 01:12 PM
I only use Timkin. I have had too many chitty bearing come apart on me and they always seem to do it when I am in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.

All I am doing with the trailer is converting to electric brakes, replacing the coupler, moving the bunks and replacing two keel rollers. Should be less than 500.00.

New trailers seem to be in the 2500-3000 range, but the shipping to Wyoming is ASS expensive!!!! Up to 1500.00. BTW, it seems 95% of decent trailer manufactures are in FL.

Tidbart
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I guess your earlier statement led us astray.:wink:

"BTW, it seems 95% of decent trailer manufactures are in FL. " I think this is because Florida has a lot of boats and a very long boating season.

Donziweasel
12-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Drums are about 79.00 for the package with bearing and seals, about 50.00 for just the drums. Will get just the drums and then get my bearings and seals through Alltrans, Inc.

mrfixxall
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Drums are about 79.00 for the package with bearing and seals, about 50.00 for just the drums. Will get just the drums and then get my bearings and seals through Alltrans, Inc.

DOESN'T ALL THE PARTS GO THROUGH ALLTRANS?? I REMEMBER ONE OF YOUR BUSS'S GETTING A 540 RECENTLY:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
I used the old drums and didn't have any problems at all! I made the switch from surge to electric as well and she worked like a champ......never heard any wierd noises.....well other than my wife's noises...but those arent wierd, they're just normal.

Donziweasel
12-17-2010, 08:31 AM
DOESN'T ALL THE PARTS GO THROUGH ALLTRANS??

I plead the 5th... :)

well other than my wife's noises...but those arent wierd, they're just normal.

LMAO! :)

Sidney073
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I just completed the Surge to Electric Brake conversion. My Surge Brake Drums worked perfectly with the Electric Backing Plates with no issues. You just need to see if the drum has the smooth area for the Magnet to contact and I used a Surface Prep Disc to clean the surface rust off of this area so the magnet had a clean surface to contact.
I love the electric brakes!!!
L8R,
Sid