PDA

View Full Version : Cruiser winterizing

Phil S
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't own one....but I'm curious as to what all is involved in winterizing a big cruiser that you don't haul out in the winter. I'm guessing that you keep it plugged in to shore-power and run the heat and perhaps bilge-heaters ??

Just curious...

With kind regards,
Phil

zelatore
12-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Depends on where you are/how cold it will get, and if you'll use the boat.

If you're going to lay it up and it's going to be really cold, you'll need to winterize the potable water system and possibly close the seacocks and drain the raw water from the various systems as well. Some people go so far as to shrink-wrap boats even when they are left in the water (from the rub rail up only). If the water the boat is in might freeze, you can look at a de-icer/bubbler to keep it from freezing around your slip.

If you might want to use the boat, or if it's not that cold, a simple engine room heater is probably enough.

Here in the San Francisco area, we don't do anything. There's no chance of the water freezing, although you can get a pretty good frost on the boat/dock sometimes. While it may get down to freezing temps briefly, it won't be there long enough to have any real effect.